PDA

View Full Version : extractor fan for Speedy 400

Graham Taylor
07-12-2016, 1:14 PM
I am looking at getting a Speedy 400 with a vacuum table but, because we vent to the outside, the rep has said that we would need a 3 phase extractor fan so that it has enough grunt to do the job properly.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a suitable extractor fan?

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Kev Williams
07-12-2016, 2:11 PM
A 3 phase blower is serious overkill.

The basic green/gray harbor freight blower will work just fine...

if you think you need more, then buy the bigger one, it'll work even better.

You only need to suck smoke out, you're not vacuum sealing meat in the thing... ;)

Keith Winter
07-12-2016, 2:32 PM
I am looking at getting a Speedy 400 with a vacuum table but, because we vent to the outside, the rep has said that we would need a 3 phase extractor fan so that it has enough grunt to do the job properly.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a suitable extractor fan?

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Rep is seriously overkill on his recommendation. You definitely don't need a 3 phase for a single laser. Kev's recommendations above are great.

Brian Leavitt
07-12-2016, 3:29 PM
I would agree with Kev and Keith. I have a 3 phase blower on the roof. I can't remember if it's three horsepower or five horsepower. I think it's three... Anyways - it's hooked up to three lasers and in between the lasers and the blower is about 30 feet of 10-inch rigid pipe. It still has more than enough power to suck three warped .0625" plastic sheet stock sheets flat on the Fusion's vacuum cutting table. This is with fully open flow to all three lasers.

Gary Hair
07-12-2016, 3:49 PM
Hopefully it's the "Binford 12,000" - that thing is so powerful it will make your windows bow when you turn it on! It will also dim the lights over most of the city, but that's a minor inconvenience...

Scott Marquez
07-12-2016, 3:57 PM
I guess the real question to your rep would be something like, "how much CFM will I need"? If he answers "a lot", you may need to find a different rep.
Scott

Ron Sleeman
07-12-2016, 9:36 PM
Here is what I use, it's a 3hp shop vac. It is 18' from my Speedy 400

Ron Sleeman
07-12-2016, 9:38 PM
The picture turned on me...lol sorry

Graham Taylor
07-13-2016, 2:41 AM
thanmks foir the suggestions gents, I will Google the above and see what I can find that is available in the UK

Graham Taylor
07-14-2016, 2:33 AM
hi Jit,

Andy from Trotec recons that wont be fit for purpose but you and can I assume that others agree with you? Other single phase options he has suggested come in at £1300 at the cheapest and I am waiting for an electrician to come round and give me a quote for a 3 phase socket.

Confused (more than usual) of Romford

Jiten Patel
07-14-2016, 6:58 AM
I dont think it would be a problem at all but saying that my 400 runs with an Atmos Duo. The 1hp blower has some serious suction so I can't see it being an issue and works absolutely fine for our galvo, but the 400 bed size is much much bigger. Andy does know what he is talking about and is a genuine guy so pretty sure he isn't trying to fleece you.

Bill George
07-14-2016, 7:49 AM
hi Jit,

Andy from Trotec recons that wont be fit for purpose but you and can I assume that others agree with you? Other single phase options he has suggested come in at £1300 at the cheapest and I am waiting for an electrician to come round and give me a quote for a 3 phase socket.

Confused (more than usual) of Romford

Like others have said, get the CFM requirement and shop for a fan based on that. A 1 Hp three phase fan is no different from a 1 Hp Single phase. Its CFM at a given static pressure. I think your rep is perhaps getting a commission from the fan company.

Dave Sheldrake
07-14-2016, 10:31 AM
If the rep is saying 3 phase then as has been said, you need another Rep. I have a 3 phase running on a huge industrial laser with an open bed and even that can be too much sometimes.

Remember, a fan can only pump out what it is getting in, if the cabinet flow is 10 cfm in then you can only take 10cfm out etc etc

£1,300 for a blower is ridiculous, one of the machinemart or axminster blowers is more than enough (about £150) and will do a very good job of sucking in passing visitors.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cde35b-dust-collector/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/fox-f50-843-3hp-dust-extractor-230v/

The second will will suck start a jet engine

Kev Williams
07-14-2016, 2:39 PM
Here is what I use, it's a 3hp shop vac. It is 18' from my Speedy 400

Explain the TWO outlets please...? I can understand two inlets...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=340589&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1468373701

Glen Monaghan
07-14-2016, 10:05 PM
It's for a dual dust bag setup on the output end of the fan.

Ron Sleeman
07-16-2016, 1:41 AM
What I did was block the other out feed, so all the fumes goes out one. If you want more pictures of the other end, I will post it.

Thanks Ron Sleeman

Neville Stewart
07-16-2016, 8:10 AM
There is no way you need three phase for a fan. If you had it already I might go for it and 3 ph gear cn usually be picked up cheap because it has a small market for used gear, but otherwise don't even listen to the rep. That's ridiculous.

Bill George
07-16-2016, 8:32 AM
There is no way you need three phase for a fan. If you had it already I might go for it and 3 ph gear cn usually be picked up cheap because it has a small market for used gear, but otherwise don't even listen to the rep. That's ridiculous.

I think in the UK 3 phase power even to residential areas is pretty common. Dave can correct me. But I agree, unless they are planning to add other machines in the near future its kind of overkill.

Graham Taylor
07-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the input guys but the machine in question was an ex demo model that has now been sold - you snooze, you loose.

I am still looking for another machine so all the advice above will help me in the future

Neville Stewart
07-16-2016, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the input guys but the machine in question was an ex demo model that has now been sold - you snooze, you loose.

I am still looking for another machine so all the advice above will help me in the future
Upgrading or adding? Upgrading, Hardly have to tell you you'll love it, Adding, you lucky ba$t@rd.

Dave Sheldrake
07-16-2016, 6:32 PM
I think in the UK 3 phase power even to residential areas is pretty common. Dave can correct me. But I agree, unless they are planning to add other machines in the near future its kind of overkill.

To the pole yes it is, to the residence...very expensive and many power suppliers won't fit it to domestic properties 415 volt and lots of amps = fatal usually)