PDA

View Full Version : 10" dado on Minimax CU300

clarke edgar
07-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Acquired a used Minimax CU300. With a few modifications I have a 10" dado set working on it. I know 8" is the recommended size, but are there any repercussions from the large size of the 10", that I should not do this.

Thanks

Erik Loza
07-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Aside from "work safely", none I can think of.

Out of curiosity, what modifications did you need to perform? Remove more material from the aluminum throatplate? Everyone I know uses an 8" dado.

Erik

David Kumm
07-12-2016, 12:11 PM
What size is arbor? I wouldn't use a 10" with a 5/8" but just me- no science behind my decision. Dave

clarke edgar
07-12-2016, 3:01 PM
Cut away a small part of the what I would call the saw blade shroud. This allows me to raise the 10" dado blade higher. And the dado table saw insert is too small. I will switch to 8" when I find a deal.

Aside from "work safely", none I can think of.

Out of curiosity, what modifications did you need to perform? Remove more material from the aluminum throatplate? Everyone I know uses an 8" dado.

Erik

clarke edgar
07-12-2016, 3:04 PM
5/8 inch arbor, but dado is 1", so I had to buy a bunch of washers to make it work. It works, but 8" dado with 5/8 bore would be best.

David Kumm
07-12-2016, 3:29 PM
Adding washers doesn't strengthen the arbor though. Lots of mass for a 5/8" shaft. Dave

Erik Loza
07-12-2016, 4:29 PM
Adding washers doesn't strengthen the arbor though. Lots of mass for a 5/8" shaft. Dave

+1 ^^^^...

Please be careful. I can totally see something like washers shifting around the minute the stack hits wood.

Erik

Charles Lent
07-13-2016, 8:09 AM
It takes less power to turn an 8" Dado blade making the same cut. The cut speed will be a bit slower, but not really noticeable. On an under powered saw, the smaller diameter is very important. Not so much on 2 hp or larger saws. Be careful with those washers. They don't always stay in place. If one should fall out while installing the blade, the blade group will be out of round and very unbalanced when you start the motor. The blade teeth may hit the saw and send carbide shrapnel around your shop too. Too risky for me.

Charley

clarke edgar
07-13-2016, 10:03 AM
All comments made by everybody are what made me nervous. Looking for an 8" dado deal.

Thanks to all

Clarke

It takes less power to turn an 8" Dado blade making the same cut. The cut speed will be a bit slower, but not really noticeable. On an under powered saw, the smaller diameter is very important. Not so much on 2 hp or larger saws. Be careful with those washers. They don't always stay in place. If one should fall out while installing the blade, the blade group will be out of round and very unbalanced when you start the motor. The blade teeth may hit the saw and send carbide shrapnel around your shop too. Too risky for me.

Charley

Rich Enders
07-15-2016, 2:45 PM
Before purchasing a CU 300 I owned its precursor a Euroshop (300?). The motor shaft on the Euroshop was not long enough for a dado set so I made an extension sleeve which had the matching internal 5/8 inch bore which was threaded, and an 1 inch OD that was threaded. That allowed me to mount an 8 inch dado set with a 1 inch bore and feel quite secure.

The additional start up amp load, and the additional stress on the bearings of a motor not intended for a dado set have been referenced here previously. As a part time wood worker that was not an issue for me. Probably not a good solution for a commercial operation. The Euroshop however is still in operation today in a model shop.