PDA

View Full Version : What bandsaw would you buy?

John TenEyck
07-11-2016, 10:14 PM
I continue to look for a new to me used bandsaw but I'm not very optimistic one will turn up that meets my set of circumstances.

My circumstances: Basement shop with the only access a single set of stairs through the house. I'm fine taking off the table and motor, but anything much more than 400 lbs after that is going to present a serious problem. 12" minimum resaw height. My J/P is 14" wide so 14" would be even better. (Cutting width is of no concern.) Because of that, anything less than 3 HP seems like too little power. I have a 14" Delta that I would keep. I want this saw to be able to put 25K psi on the blade so it can resaw w/o issue. I would use it to resaw and cut veneer, and use the Delta for most everything else.

Budget is always an issue. The MM16 would likely fit the bill if I could get the heavy beast down there, but I can't justify $3500. Moving down scale the Hammer N4400 (17") looks pretty good but only has 12" resaw height. The Laguna LT18 3000 might fit my needs very well, but it's getting large and heavy. The Laguna 14SUV is just a 14" saw, I don't see it as a serious resaw. The Grizzly G0514X 19" BS's have 3 HP motors but are just too big. The G0513X 17" saws are more the right size but only have a 2 HP motor, and I'm not confident they can put adequate tension on a full width blade.

How do you see my options?

John

John Lankers
07-11-2016, 10:51 PM
I have the N4400 and it's a good saw but you're right it works well for general purpose work but not so much for serious resawing. Besides removing the motor and the table you could also take off the wheels and the doors to loose another 50# or more.

Ben Rivel
07-11-2016, 11:00 PM
Went through the same choice making process less than a year ago myself and went with the Hammer N4400. Super happy that I did.

David Kumm
07-11-2016, 11:02 PM
If you are doing serious resaw in the 12-14" range, weight is necessary for the saw to be stout enough for the purpose. As long as the saw fits under the ceiling, get a couple of riggers to move it down the stairs. They can handle 600-800 lb stuff. Cry once. The older Centauro,ACM 24" machines with 16" resaw are pretty nice if they will fit. Dave

Matt Day
07-12-2016, 7:53 AM
I have a basement shop too with stair access only, and have a 20" 1000lb Powermatic bandsaw down there. I removed enough weight (table, motor, wheels) and got it down to 600lb or so. Still super awkward because of the shape and size. I don't have any good anchor points to make a sled tied off to a chain hoist or something. So I rented a battery powered stair climbing hand truck. Worked like a charm and cost $40/day IIRC.

Oh, I reinforced the stairs too as I don't think the builders planned on that kind of weight back in the '60's.

Robert Engel
07-12-2016, 8:26 AM
I have a Rikon 10-345 18" 2HP motor and it has plenty of power for everything I do. I'm not sure 3HP would make much of a difference.
The weight is right at 400#.
I've also used blades in excess of 1" and find I can tension them adequately.
I don't use wide blades to resaw anymore I find a 1/2" resaw blade works quite well.
Although the resaw capacity is slightly less than 12".
Not saying this is the one for you because I don't know what you might need to muscle through, but I think this saw would be a consideration for you.
One nice thing is if you order it delivered to a WC store, shipping is free.

joe maday
07-12-2016, 9:05 AM
There is also the 18" Jet bandsaw with the 3hp motor. Triangular frame is supposed to be stronger and the motor is rated continuous hp not peak hp..at least that's what the Rep said last I spoke to one.
What about a second 14" delta, used. you could add a riser block, larger motor, it would not be so heavy and not so tall? Set one for 1/4" blade and one for 1/2-3/4 to re-saw. You are limited on the blade width..but so many people have been using 1/2 blades...it probably is not an issue.
Interesting what you choose, I'm having the same problems. but I don't re-saw that much so I'm thinking of adding the block to my present 14 delta and see how the 1hp USA motor performs. Changing blades is not a big chore, and saves the space a second or larger machine takes up.

John Lanciani
07-12-2016, 9:38 AM
MM16. It's the only saw that checks all the boxes on your list, anything else will just be a compromise that may lead to buyers remorse later on. Worst case is that you have to remove the wheels as well as the table and motor to get it down the stairs but that isn't really that big of a deal all things considered.

(My two daily use bandsaws are an MM20 for resaw and heavy ripping and a Delta 14" for everything else, a perfect pair in my opinion.)

Gregory Stahl
07-12-2016, 9:43 AM
MM16 is my vote. I have owned some of the other bandsaws you are considering and they don't come close to a MiniMax. I purchased my first MM 24 about 8-years ago, and added a second a few years ago. I would not want to move a saw into a basement just to haul it out in a couple years. Since you want to cut veneers, I would invest money in the MM or the best possible saw you can afford. The MM should last a lifetime. The Centauro 24" David mentions is a nice saw if you can find one.

Greg Stahl

Erik Loza
07-12-2016, 9:53 AM
...I want this saw to be able to put 25K psi on the blade so it can resaw w/o issue.

....I would use it to resaw and cut veneer

....Budget is always an issue.

How does that saying go in the motor sports world? "Fast, cheap, and reliable. Pick any two." Once a customer starts talking about resawing 12"+ stock, the list of machines that will do that starts to get very slim.

I can't give you an unbiased answer but will share my experiences:

1.) I've never had a customer be unable to get an MM16 into their basement. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'd be willing to be that if a free MM16 suddently materialized on your doorstep, you'd have no problem getting it down the stairs.

2.) I can 100% guarantee that the MM16 will properly tension any blade you can put on it. And I don't mean just for "demo cuts" (a cut that seems impressive on videos and at trade shows but that you probably wouldn't be able to do in the real world on a repetitive basis). I mean reliably, where the operator can put the blade on there any time they choose and with minimal effort or setup, get it to perform the way it is expected, for the entire life of the machine. There are more bandsaws that can't do this, than can.

3.) The MM16 is not cheap but it is competitively priced with the other Italian saws available in the US. So, the pricing is fair. I assume folks realize this but things cost what they cost for a reason and in my experience, you get what you pay for. If I wanted a new 4Runner tomorrow, for example, and the sales guy told me, "Hey, this other SUV is just as good as the 4Runner and will do everything you want, but is 25% less in price", I might start to wonder why.

I can't tell anyone what to buy. As much as I would love to sell every sales lead who contacts me a bandsaw, the reality is that maybe 1-in-5 will actually justify the money for it. And of those five guys, the other four will statistically end up going Chaiwanese. But I will also add that of those remaining four guys, several will tell me when I talk to them in a year, that they have regrets about what they ended up with. Of course, by that point, the money is gone and there's a machine in your shop, so you're essentially married to it. But each of our wallets is our own. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck in your search.

Erik

joe maday
07-12-2016, 2:31 PM
I guess the real question is How much re-sawing and veneers are intended to be cut? It's great to think about "dream machines" but it still comes down to use, space and cash. A block on the 14" delta would be a start to see if re-sawing and cutting veneers warrants a 3500.00 machine. I think it is logical what Erik says....and in my view. Maybe John should wait a while, save up and get the MM16 (it seems to be the saw the OP really wants). Use the 14 (get a riser block) in the meantime.....even if it takes twice as long to cut/re-saw veneers or lumber..and uses up a few 1/2 blades,... it would be better than buying a 'compromise saw" and have remorse. Maybe he will realize the 14 delta will fit the bill and put the 3500 towards something else.

Dan Friedrichs
07-12-2016, 2:34 PM
I'd reconsider the LT14SUV. It's not as large as the others, but it's in a whole different league than your 14" Delta.

Tom M King
07-12-2016, 3:51 PM
I guess the real question is How much re-sawing and veneers are intended to be cut? It's great to think about "dream machines" but it still comes down to use, space and cash. A block on the 14" delta would be a start to see if re-sawing and cutting veneers warrants a 3500.00 machine. I think it is logical what Erik says....and in my view. Maybe John should wait a while, save up and get the MM16 (it seems to be the saw the OP really wants). Use the 14 (get a riser block) in the meantime.....even if it takes twice as long to cut/re-saw veneers or lumber..and uses up a few 1/2 blades,... it would be better than buying a 'compromise saw" and have remorse. Maybe he will realize the 14 delta will fit the bill and put the 3500 towards something else.

I have a Delta 14" with a riser block, and a Centauro 24". The speed difference for resawing is more like a factor of 20 since the larger saw not only moves the blade faster, and under higher tension, but can use a stiffer one with much larger teeth. I timed it. Yes, factor of 20 with absolutely no loss in cut quality. The 16 won't spin the blade as fast, but can tension it, and run it fine, so the speed difference won't be quite as much as between the 14 and the 24.

John TenEyck
07-12-2016, 7:32 PM
Thank you all so far for your thoughtful input. In full disclosure, my 14" Delta has a riser block on it and a 1.5 HP Leeson or Baldor motor, can't remember which. I've done lots of resawing and even more veneer slicing with it, generally using a 1/2" 3 tpi bi-metal blade. It does both jobs well in terms of quality but let me tell you it is SLOW. Can I put up with it? Sure, but I don't want to. I think the low tension is more of an issue than the low HP, so adding an even larger motor is not likely to help much.

For everyone who said "It sounds like he really wants the MM16.", or "That's the only saw that meets all his criteria.", or something along those lines, you are probably right. By the way a friend of mine has a Grizzly 17" Ultimate BS, with a big honking 5HP motor. That thing is a beautiful big beast and slices veneer about as fast as you can push wood through it. The price is really good, too, comparatively. But it's just too big and too heavy to think about getting down into my shop and would occupy too large a footprint even if I could. And by pure chance, another woodworker just contacted me about meeting and exchanging shop visits, and that he has a MM16 in his basement shop. I'm all over that. I want to see how he got it down there, how he likes it, etc. And I'm happy to hear at least one person advised that I take a second look at the Laguna 14SUV. A pro friend of mine advised me to do the same and that he was very happy with his until he traded up to a MM20 for the added height. Back back on point, the MM16 probably has the best combination of HP, height, and overall relatively small size, and it's in a different league than the 14SUV. At nearly twice the price and a lot more mass, it should be.

That was pretty funny Eric, and I think you are right that if a MM16 showed up on my doorstep I'd figure out to get it down into my shop.

Thanks again for your input. I'm looking for more.

John

Bill Space
07-12-2016, 7:35 PM
Been thinking about your question…

I've sort of concluded maybe you haven't asked the right question.

I would think it might be better to ask what bandsaw best suits my needs. And then ask how do I get the thing into my basement shop?

I recall others stating here that they used moving companys to move heavy machinery into their basement shops, and that it was not really all that expensive. If you're like me you hate to pay somebody to do what you think you can do yourself… But still the end result is what is important.

So my suggestion is that you consider buying what will most likely satisfy your needs and budget, and then allow for a bit of expense to get the Bandsaw where you want it. Without risk or injury to yourself.

Hey! You asked for opinions! 😀😀😀

Bill

Tom M King
07-12-2016, 7:42 PM
I have the exact same setup, with the exact same motor on my Delta 14". It's still 20 times slower than the 24". I'm not sure how much slower the 16 is than the 24, but it will still be WAY faster than the 14". For resawing, after using the big un, I wouldn't get one that won't really pull a 1" blade. It's not so much about the horsepower. I don't know if I could tell the difference in a 3 or 5hp motor on a saw that would pull a 1" Woodmaster CT 1.3tpi blade, and that's the only blade I want to run for resawing. I tried everything on the market for the 14", and anything was slow at best. The Woodmaster cuts as clean as any of the more expensive blades for the 14", and many times faster.

I expect that MM16 will pull that blade, but wouldn't expect any 14" to.

Jeff Keith
07-12-2016, 8:05 PM
I just want to second what Erik said. I bit the bullet for a MM16 4 years ago and have never regretted it. It was maneuvered into my basement and then out of my basement when we moved. At the time, we lived in a condo with a labyrinth of steps and tight corners before even getting to the doorway to our basement. And I never had to remove the table moving in either direction.

If you can find a way to afford it, that is the bandsaw you're looking for.

Scott DelPorte
07-12-2016, 8:31 PM
Years ago I hired riggers to get a 700 lb mill down into my basement. They had to come up some stairs to get it in the house, then traverse some hardwood floors, and snake it into the entrance to the basement stairs before descending. All without hurting anything. Looking back on that, it was money well spent. I cant remember what they charged, but I remember it was by the hour, and it didn't take them very long. If I ever move it out of my basement, I will hire them again.

Steve Wilde
07-12-2016, 9:00 PM
I went through this last summer and the MM16 won hands down. I removed the table to get it into my basement and had a couple of helpers and it went down just fine. It's an impressive machine! Keep your eyes open for a used one if you've got the time, I saw one in slc not too long ago for $2500 I think. I'd rather spend the little extra and get a new machine, but that's just me. You should be able to get it down there, bringing it back up would be a whole different animal! Good luck.

Joe Beaulieu
07-13-2016, 2:35 AM
Hey John,

I just picked up a Laguna LT14 SUV last week. I cannot speak to the MM16 nor any of the other saws mentioned here, but I can tell you that the 13" plus resaw capacity and that 3 hp motor driving a 1" resaw King blade sure cuts nice. I only have my Jet 14" bandsaw to compare it with,and the Laguna is a whole not her animal. I think you might want to reconsider at least a look at the SUV. Just my .02.

Jim Andrew
07-13-2016, 9:07 AM
I have an'04 MM16, and it is a great saw, and if I need to resaw more than 12", I take it to my mp32 Cooks bandmill. That thing will REALLY resaw.

John TenEyck
07-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Joe, you are not alone in people telling me to relook at the Laguna 14SUV. A pro woodworker I respect very much told me he was completely happy with his until he decided he needed more resaw height. Eric, you will be happy to know he went with a MM20. I read an older thread on pretty much this same subject, minus the basement access issue, and people here were telling the guy to forget the 14SUV if he really wanted a resaw machine, that it's not in the same class as any of the larger, more robust machines, so that's why I initially discounted it. To be clear, my only reason for wanting a new saw is for improved resaw and veneer cutting speed. I'm perfectly happy with the quality of the results I get with my 14" Delta. And I will keep the Delta for general work. I really don't care what the width of the new saw is, in fact, smaller is better, which favors the 14SUV. But number one is ease of resawing, and a close number two is resaw height. I'd like to be able to take full advantage of my MM 13-3/4" J/P capacity. Of course, I hav to figure out how to get whatever saw I buy down into my shop, too, but that's still number three on the list. And I will even pay to have that done if that's the best and safest way.

Thanks all for your input. More is always welcome - and helpful.

John

Erik Loza
07-13-2016, 4:50 PM
I was just searching the Minimax customer database for something unrelated and came across a few MM16 sales orders from 2002. These would be some of the very first ones sold. You could buy a new MM16 for $1,495 and a new S45 for $995 back then. How times change.

Erik

John TenEyck
07-13-2016, 6:57 PM
If that were the price today, Eric, I would have no trouble figuring out how to get it into my basement! Of course, in 2002, it was a different saw than today's version.

John

Bryan Lisowski
07-13-2016, 8:14 PM
Laguna has come out with the BX series, can be 110 or 220v, and I think it is more powerful than the 1412 or 14suv. Might be worth a look.

Erik Loza
07-14-2016, 9:34 AM
..Of course, in 2002, it was a different saw than today's version...

True, but if someone uses that logic to make their buying decisions, they will probably never buy a machine and more importantly, never be satisfied. Back in the day, that $1,495 MM16 was "the" machine, just like the MM16 of 2016 is "the" machine. Nobody, including me, can predict what the price of the MM16 will be in another ten years, or what features it might have.

For the record, I will tell you that Centauro is one of the few European mfrs. that has resisted the pressure to move manufacturing to China. At least to this point. For all we know, the MM16 of 2026 could be made entirely in China and if a customer, by the logic of "waiting for the newest version" to make their decision did that, maybe they would not end up with an Italian machine at all. I can think of one Minimax competitor, for example, that actively promotes entirely Chinese-made bandsaws as being "100% made in Europe". Now, I can look any customer in the eye and say that I don't believe Centauro or Minimax is going to send bandsaw manufacturing to China any time soon or even any time on the horizon but I will say that a guy who paid $1,495 for his MM16 back in 2002 could probably sell it for not much less than that, today, so regardless of price, the value is there. Whether or not the customer can justify the money for that is a different story.

Erik

John TenEyck
07-14-2016, 3:35 PM
I have high regard for European engineering. How else could I justify buying a BMW? Actually, I can't, but my German wife could so we have one. It's a beautifully engineered car and everything just works they way it's supposed to. It's no better than my Subaru in terms of transportation, probably not as reliable, and definitely not as utilitarian. But it drives so much better when you want to drive like your pants are on fire that I recognize and appreciate why it costs what it does.

Back to bandsaws, I went to look at a late vintage MM16 earlier today, at the very generous offer of a fellow Creeker. I don't know what year it was made, but it had 12" of resaw capacity and a 3.6 HP motor. He had a 3/4" 3 tpi Woodmaster bimetal blade on it. He put what I would consider too little tension on the blade, with the guides set a lot sloppier than I would - and it sawed a 12" piece of walnut that brought my 1.5 HP Delta to it's knees without any problem, nice and straight. Guides are over rated !

It was a very nice machine. Not state of the art by today's standards, but very nice. The fence, in particular, was nothing beyond functional. But it gave me another reference point as I contemplate what's best for me. And I met a very nice fellow woodworker that I can see becoming a good friend.

John

Mike Hollingsworth
07-15-2016, 3:29 PM
Bandsaw is a good place to spend your money. They sell by the pound.
Buy the biggest baddest heaviest you can.

rudy de haas
07-15-2016, 3:34 PM
In reading through this thread I am struck by two questions:

First, how do you get the wood into that basement? If the stairs have turns that making bringing in rough lumber difficult, perhaps you could consider putting your big bandsaw in the garage or a shed and thereby solve two problems at once. Recognize that you don't use it all day, everyday; put it on wheels, get a small dust collector (like the 1HP jet) and you can push the whole system against the wall when not needed. You'll need to run a 220V line, but a professional can do that in an hour or two and you get room to work, more bandsaw choices, and it will be easier to get pre-cut wood and veneers downstairs than raw lumber.

Second, I see grizzly as badly managed, but they do have great products - and, in your place, I'd be looking at their 17" models, The extreme edition looks like a good fit except for having only 2 HP - but that's actually a lot for a bandsaw, especially for one with heavy (cast iron iron this case) wheels. I'd bet that it would plow through almost anything and few seconds slower per cut is largely meaningless unless you do hours of work with the thing everyday.

(Third, and for fun.. a few years ago we bought a Fridge which turned out to weigh something ridiculous like 600 pounds I(Jenn-Air). The stairs on our main entry are wide, but supported by 2 x 10s cut deep, so I strengthened the stairs and got a somewhat narcisistic acquaintance who does weight lifting and is always bragging about how much he can bench press, to recruit one of his friends - and the two of them simply lifted it off the truck and carried it in. Given the shape of a bandsaw the right weight lifter could probably carry the grizzly (above, 434 pounds) down for you. )

John TenEyck
07-15-2016, 8:55 PM
Hi Rudy,

I can get lumber up to about 10' long down my basement stairs w/o difficulty. Longer than that and I have to slide it through a window. I mill much of my own lumber, and have a kiln in my basement shop so I carry a lot of wood down there. I made the kiln capable of drying an 8' long board so it goes down the stairs w/o issue, except the large ones are still really heavy. A 4 x 8 ft sheet of plywood just clears the wall at the top of the stairs to get down the stairs, too, but it takes two people. Generally, I try to cut that into oversized project pieces in my garage and then I can carry them down alone.

I took a MiniMax FS35 J/P down into my basement shop. That thing weighs over 700lbs. I took pretty much everything off the frame that I could which got it down to a guestimated 400 lbs. Two of us took it down strapped to a dolly w/o great difficulty, but it's a lot more compact than a big bandsaw.

I have my cars in my garage. Besides my big air compressor I will not put woodworking machines in the garage. Good thought, and many do it, but not me.

I am pretty much down to one of three options. The Laguna 14SUV, a good used saw, or the Grizzly G0636X, the 17" Ultimate bandsaw. My friend has one and that thing is a beast, a 5 HP wood eating monster. It is spec. for spec. equal to the Euro machines and costs substantially less and runs very smoothly. I always prefer to buy a used machine, but I keep striking out on finding one although a few have sneaked past me while I wasn't looking so I know patience and better vigilance will pay off eventually. But if I buy new, the Laguna 14SUV makes perfect sense for my situation and I think it would serve me well. On the other hand, the no regrets option is the Grizzly. I discounted it after I considered where to put it in my shop and the difficulty of getting it down the stairs. It's larger and heavier than the MM16 and that's how I got to MiniMax, Hammer, and a couple of other options. I also looked at the lighter 17" Grizzlies as well as the lower HP 19" machine. The lighter 17" machines only have a 2HP motor and 12" resaw height, the 19" a 3HP motor and also 12" height. None of those are as good a combination as the Laguna 14 SUV although their wheels are larger.

But I've begun to reconsider the wood eating Grizzly G0636X. My shop is actually quite large, it's just that it's jambed up with a lot of wood and a couple of machines I rarely if ever use. So I've decided to sell my Foley-Belsaw planer/moulder and my Grizzly 1.5 HP shaper. I also intend to go through my wood stacks and cull out everything that isn't A-1 and either sell it or give it away. I may need to move a machine or two, also. But after all that there will be room for the Grizzly if I decide to go that route, and there will generous space if I find a used machine or decide on the Laguna.

I have some thoughts on how to get the Grizzly down into my shop; hire it done, or strip off the table, motor, and wheels to lighten it. I have no more fear of buying a Grizzly as I do Laguna, MiniMax or from anyone else - OK, Delta is a special case, it seems, but they have nothing I want. If there is a problem I believe all of them will make it right.

John

Dan Friedrichs
07-15-2016, 11:21 PM
If you enjoy the fit, finish, and minor details on the BMW, it sounds like you're leaning more towards the Laguna than the Grizzly. My older version of it (the SE, not the SUV) is the one tool that I'm just giddy to get a chance to use - it just gives you the feeling like you get from a fancy import car.

Have you had a chance to see it in person? I think Woodcraft carries them, now?

Albert Lee
07-16-2016, 7:46 AM
I have a MM16, I dont think I will ever look at another band saw unless its a sliding table band saw lol

John TenEyck
07-16-2016, 1:21 PM
Hi Dan,

No, I haven't seen one in the flesh but I have seen other Laguna BS's at my local Rocklers and they looked well made if not all that beefy. Then again they were only 14" saws. I'll have to call them and see if they now have the 14SUV. The closest Woodcraft is now 80 miles one way. They had a store in Buffalo for a brief 3 or 4 years; sadly, it closed.

The Grizzly G0636X is in another whole league. Of course, it should be as it costs $800 - 900 more. But it's not just a monster, the fit and finish are very good, and it runs very smoothly. There are no shortcomings as far as I can tell, except it's very heavy which presents a big challenge getting it into my shop.

John

John TenEyck
07-16-2016, 1:25 PM
Hi Albert,

Yeah, I can't imagine why you would ever need another BS unless you needed even more resaw height. My pro friend had a Laguna 14SUV and said he was completely happy with it until he needed more resaw height. In the end he pitted Laguna and MM against each other, and MM won the bidding war. He got a MM20 and the videos he's shown me of it going through 16" mahogany are amazing. It chews through wood about as fast as you can shove it through it.

John

Derek Stockley
07-17-2016, 7:52 AM
No, I haven't seen one in the flesh but I have seen other Laguna BS's at my local Rocklers and they looked well made if not all that beefy. Then again they were only 14" saws. I'll have to call them and see if they now have the 14SUV.

John I wrote a review of my 14SUV a few years ago when I got it. http://www.makingsplinters.com/2013/08/laguna-lt14-suv-review/ Since then, I have used it a bunch more. I have a couple of interior pictures in that review that you might find useful if seeing one in person is difficult. One thing I'd like to point out is the tension mechanism - this is something that impresses me about the 14SUV. It's really quite robust and it's quite different from what I've seen on lower cost saws.

I can't compare it against the Minimax saws, but I can tell you that I'm quite happy with the performance of the 14SUV and if I suddenly came into lots of money and lots of additional shop space, it's one of the machines I'd keep. I don't resaw constantly, but when I do, it doesn't let me down. If I can answer any questions about it, I'm happy to, but please excuse my response time as I'm only here on Sundays.

joe maday
07-17-2016, 8:48 AM
I see that Rikon has a new 18" bandsaw with 4hp at woodcraft site...might be a better choice than the grizzly 1yr vs 5yr warranty.....just saying....

John TenEyck
07-17-2016, 10:37 AM
THanks, I'll take a look though I'm not inclined to consider Rikon very strongly, for no particular reason really. I never put much stock in warranties except on cars. With wood working machines they either work or they don't and you normally find out pretty quickly if they don't. The only thing a long warranty would be good for is if the motor dies. The Grizzly G0636X is a beast of a machine. Again, other than the motor, I'd have no concerns about something going bad if it's OK to start.

Thanks for bringing that machine to my attention; I didn't know they had a 4HP model.

John

David C. Roseman
07-17-2016, 7:36 PM
John, late to this thread, and it sounds like you've narrowed your choices. But unless you saw a lot of veneer from 12" stock in your basement shop, I'd sure reconsider the 17" Grizzly G0613X2. I have that model, as well as a Rockwell (Delta) 14" with 6" riser. Night and day difference, as you can imagine, yet I've sawn 12" veneer with the Rockwell just by going slow, as you probably have with yours.

With the bigger saw, I often cut blanks from green (and wet) half-round hardwoods, some 12" thick, for bowl turning. That is very hard on a bandsaw. The G0613X2 tensions just fine and zips along with a sharp blade.

John TenEyck
07-17-2016, 9:20 PM
Hi David, I'm guessing you mean the G 0513X2, yes? I'm sure that's a fine saw, but at only 2 HP it doesn't meet my minimum criteria of 3 HP. It's also right at my minimum acceptable resaw height of 12". Actually, I changed my mind and won't consider anything less than 14" because that's how wide my J/P is.

Unless a great used machine reveals itself to me this week I'm going to order a G0636X. Heavy 1-3/4" wide 17" wheels, 5HP motor, 16" resaw height, massive 620 lbs. This will be an absolutely no regrets machine, other than it being the most expensive woodworking machine I've ever bought, and one of the very few new ones at that.

I think I've figured out how to get this monster down into my basement, something I didn't want to consider for a long time. To free up space in my shop I sold my almost never used shaper today, and have my also almost never used Foley-Belsaw planer/molder up for sale. Some cleanup and reorganization and I should have plenty of room for it. I'll put it on a mobile base, too, in case I need to move it around.

Thanks everyone for helping me in the decision process. I'll post some pictures with whatever ends up in my garage.

John

Dave Lewis
07-17-2016, 10:10 PM
About 5 years ago, I bought a used Bridgewood 17" bandsaw. I also bought a 2,000 lb. Warn electric winch to load it onto my pickup and down into our bulkhead stairs. I have several 5,000 lb. rated nylon straps that also were handy.

BTW, I lowered a Delta Unisaw & DJ 20 jointer into the bulkhead (before stairs) with our Kubota tractor (L4310 HST).

Dennis Yamamoto
07-18-2016, 2:53 AM
I just re-sawed some 8/4 Tan Oak a couple of days ago. Each board was 3-4' long and 11 - 12" wide. The Tan Oak was air dried for many years, and therefore really hard.

This is a 2005 MM16 with a 3.6 kW or 4.8 HP motor, and 16" re-saw height. The blade is a 1" Lenox Tri-Master. It worked real nice!

John TenEyck
07-18-2016, 3:38 PM
I'm looking forward to getting a saw as capable as that.

John

David C. Roseman
07-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Hi David, I'm guessing you mean the G 0513X2, yes? I'm sure that's a fine saw, but at only 2 HP it doesn't meet my minimum criteria of 3 HP. It's also right at my minimum acceptable resaw height of 12". Actually, I changed my mind and won't consider anything less than 14" because that's how wide my J/P is.
[snip]

John

Yup, G0513x2 is what I meant to type.

Sounds like you have this well thought out. Good luck with the new saw!

Mike Kees
07-20-2016, 8:30 PM
Hey John have you bought a bandsaw yet ? Just curious what you decided to go with. I have been looking at the Grizzly 636 and wondered how god it would be. Let us know when you pull the trigger!

John TenEyck
07-20-2016, 9:55 PM
Hey John have you bought a bandsaw yet ? Just curious what you decided to go with. I have been looking at the Grizzly 636 and wondered how god it would be. Let us know when you pull the trigger!

Funny you should ask today, Mike, because I just placed an order for a G0636X, the 17" Ultimate saw, late this morning. My friend has one and it's a real beast. But it's also made very well with excellent fit and finish; at least his 7 year old one was. Hopefully, they still are.

The Laguna 14SUV would probably be a more practical choice considering my basement shop, but the Grizzly will be a no regrets choice once I get it down there. I think I have figured out how to get it into my garage, from the garage up 3 steps into the house (a hallway), and down the 12 steps into the basement using a hoist to pull, tip, and lower the 620 lb beast, with as little brute strength as possible. I'll take the table off, if it's attached, as well as the motor and maybe the wheels to lighten it up and reduce the width, but it will still be a darned heavy. It shipped today and should arrive in 3 to 5 business days, so we will soon see.

I'll post pictures of the adventure.

John

Robin Frierson
07-21-2016, 6:42 AM
Well my 636 arrived yesterday. Two runners on the crate had buckled and folded under. So it took us some time to get it off the truck and into the shop. Had to take it off the pallet outside the garage because it wouldn't fit under the door. The UPS delivery guy helped me an incredibly long time. He Musta been here 25 minutes helping me with the saw. Always give them a good tip..

Saw comes with the table on it tilted. It's a pretty big looking motor. I think it weighs 93.5 pounds. So you lose a lot of weight if you take the motor off and the table.. Very little assembly needed. Just really put the fence on. Saw even comes with a blade on it..it's a heavy duty looking saw that's for sure. Plan to put the mobile base on this morning and get it assembled and hopefully fired up. Unfortunately my carbide blade probably won't arrive till next week. Should've ordered the expedited shipping.

John TenEyck
07-21-2016, 8:39 AM
I hope my UPS driver is willing to help me get the thing up my 120 ft driveway from the street, too. I have a plan B, but plan A is to ask nicely if he will help - and tip generously. Good to know the table comes mounted on the saw. It and the motor have to come off for sure.

Good luck with your saw. Let us know what you think of it and how you like it.

John

Robin Frierson
07-21-2016, 9:36 PM
Grizz Saw is up and running. First impression: looks really good. Fit and Finish excellent and runs quiet with little to no vibration. Only got the 6tpi blade that came with the saw so only resawed 3-4in oak and yellow pine, but cut was smooth, no drift. Will wait till get the carbide to give it thumbs up. That should be in next week.

Saw came with no cord, but they are always too short anyway. Already had 10 gauge cord ready. When the saw started it made a horrible noise....turns out the motor fan cover was dented in, rubbing against the blades. Was able to hammer it back in shape with block of wood. Jeez...second Grizzly tool I have had to take a hammer to. Also the quick tension release lever was bent, and that took some force to bend. So did have some shipping damage.

Couple small points, the cursor rubbed against the table so removed it and the fence is just a hair out of square front to back. Tried the adjustment screws but they made the fence hard to move. Will try shimming the rail tommorow. No big deal, with probably build my own resaw fence and shim it square. It also fit perfectly in the shop space I was hoping to use.

Shop is looking very green.

Robert E Thompson
07-23-2016, 4:12 PM
Congrats on the new saw!!!

I have been following this thread because I was in the same boat. I have a Delta 14 inch that no longer fits my needs and I started looking for an upgrade. Considered a 20 inch Delta out on eBay for $1200. Not sure if it is good price or not but looks like a beast of a machine. However, I am also in a basement shop and space is a limiting factor.

Started looking at the new Laguna DX series, it is getting a lot of good press. Nice looking saw and it looks well made. However, after reading this thread I took a look at the SUV. Went to my local WoodCraft and the had one on the floor along with PM, Rikon, Jet and some of the other Laguna's. The SUV is a beast with a small foot print. It is just way beefier that the others. As far as I can tell it is the same machine as the larger Laguna’s only smaller. Fit and finish is fine, the wheels and bearings looked much heaver, the adjustment mechanism is made out of thicker steel, big table nice fence… Just overall a much heaver duty looking saw than anything else they had on the floor.

Woodcraft set it up in the back room and let me run some boards through it. It runs very smooth, no vibrations at all. I resewed a 6 inch scrap into several 1/4 inch slices as fast as I could push it through. Then the kicker. Laguna has a couple of them in the clearance section of their web page for $1439. WoodCraft match the price. We have a great local WoodCraft store.

Bottom line, spent yesterday getting it into my basement and today I will be running power and dust collection to it.

Thanks for your post and to all that replied. I will be interested in reading how you like the Grizz and if the extra size comes in handy.

John TenEyck
07-23-2016, 8:18 PM
The 14SUV would have been even harder to say no to at that price Robert; that is an amazing bargain for that saw. Good on you. It would have been a whole bunch easier to get down into my basement shop, too. But I know that once I get the big Grizzly bear down there it will do anything I ask of it. My final decision got swayed by the larger, heavier wheels, the ability to be able to tension any blade I want to put on it, and that 5 HP motor. Most of my stock is 12" or less, so that's a whole lot of power when resawing or slicing veneer. I plan to keep a 1" - 1.3 tpi Woodmaster CT on it most of the time.

Enjoy your new saw. Pics are always good. Brag a little !

John

Russell Stanton
07-23-2016, 10:22 PM
I tried to find this on the Laguna site and it was not there any clues to how to find it. I'm going to check my local woodcraft tomorrow

Robert E Thompson
07-24-2016, 9:52 AM
I found it in the outlet section:

Mine had been used in a couple re-saw classes, so it has a little saw dust on it, but I got to keep the blade also.

http://www.lagunatools.com/Outlet

lowell holmes
07-24-2016, 10:10 AM
I just can't comprehend spending thousands of dollars for a band saw to be put to use in a hobbyist shop. My 14" Jet with a riser block fulfills my needs.

I only occasionally resaw, but I can can exceed 12" resaw capacity.

John TenEyck
07-24-2016, 12:54 PM
I just can't comprehend spending thousands of dollars for a band saw to be put to use in a hobbyist shop. My 14" Jet with a riser block fulfills my needs.

I only occasionally resaw, but I can can exceed 12" resaw capacity.

If you did a lot of resawing or veneer slicing I doubt you would be happy with your 14" saw. You might tolerate it, as I did for many years, but it would bring you no joy. I went back and forth many times about whether I really needed a new saw. In the end, of course I didn't; I don't make my living at woodworking. If that were the case, I would have bought the saw years ago. But I decided I wanted it because it will make those tasks a lot more pleasurable. Simple as that.

John

Erik Loza
07-24-2016, 2:48 PM
I just can't comprehend spending thousands of dollars for a band saw to be put to use in a hobbyist shop...

Lots of guys can.

Erik