PDA

View Full Version : 2nd bowl

David Wilson
09-24-2005, 4:57 PM
Well, I turned another walnut bowl today. 7 1/2' diameter and 3" deep. Turned out pretty good but after visiting with John Miliunis last sunday I think I should get the proper tools. Don't yet own a bowl gouge and turning the inside of bowls without one is a real pain. Thanks for looking.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24008&stc=1

John Miliunas
09-24-2005, 5:00 PM
Nice job, Dave! Just think how much more extravagant those bowls will be once you equip yourself with some nicer chisels!:D :cool:

Keith Burns
09-24-2005, 5:29 PM
Great bowl. Form is great with the burn in. Finish looks good as well. Like John said some good tools will make it more enjoyable.

Dick Strauss
09-24-2005, 6:22 PM
Dave,
I've just started turning bowls myself. One thing that I noticed very quickly was how much easier things are with the right tools, held the right way, with a good sharp edge.

My first bowl is turned from a locust crotch that I got from a neighbor. It is still in its rough form. I'll post a pic when I finish it.

I think you've done a great job for your first few bowls given what sounds like limited tools. Keep up the good work! If you have the patience to produce that bowl with your limitations, I can't wait to see what comes next!

Dick

Mark Cothren
09-24-2005, 6:34 PM
That's a nice one, David! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the picture!

Dick Parr
09-24-2005, 8:40 PM
David that is a great looking bowl. Nothing wrong with using scrapers, just don't use a roughing gouge :eek: :D on the inside that is ;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-25-2005, 12:45 AM
Great lookin' Bowl David. One question, did you colorize/ stain it, or is that the natural color of that piece? My Walnut never seems to have that DEEP color, naturally.

Bruce

David Wilson
09-25-2005, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the kind words. The only finish on my first two bowls is about 10 coats of wax.

Jim Ketron
09-25-2005, 9:22 AM
Looking Good David!

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-25-2005, 3:13 PM
Thanks, David......................That is some Beautiful Walnut, too.

Bruce