PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia maple - finished

Robert Marshall
07-11-2016, 9:02 PM
This is a bowl I wrote about after rough-turning (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?244487-Ambrosia-maple), a month ago. On the recommendation of several forum participants, I removed about an inch from the top of the rim and rounded it over, to reduce cracking.

After DNA soak and then drying about a month, I finished turned it. It did develop a small crack, visible below to the right of center, but some CA glue stabilized that, and it appears okay now.

Comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks!

Randy Red Bemont
07-12-2016, 1:00 PM
I like it and I also like working with ambrosia maple. What kind of finish did you use?

Red

Robert Marshall
07-12-2016, 3:08 PM
I used wipe-on poly, glossy.

Bob Bouis
07-12-2016, 3:42 PM
Did it crack before you trimmed the rim, or after?

Robert Marshall
07-12-2016, 4:07 PM
I believe the crack showed up after I took down the rim about an inch.

Bob Bouis
07-12-2016, 7:55 PM
Shame.

Maple is not common around here, so I can't speak from experience on that particular wood, but cracks like that are very uncommon with just about every wood I've used. I've no experience with the DNA drying method, either, but you might might consider taking the slow and steady anchorseal / cardboard box approach to drying.

kip allen
07-12-2016, 9:46 PM
I really like the form and finish. Too bad about the crack thou. We don't have Ambrosia Mable here in Oregon, just old big leaf maple which is not much fun, but I like the grain and color. I did buy some from a company in NC and have it in my kiln now and should be able to turn it soon.

Dan Jechura
07-13-2016, 10:03 AM
We have a lot of ambrosia maple or here in south east Michigan, an I turn a lot of it ( get it by the pickup truck load) I have good luck with twice turn, anchorseal and dry in a paper bag for 3 to 6 months. If I am in a hurry I microwave the bowl on defrost, 3 to 6 min. let cool off then zap it again until moisture level is around 10 %. Works for me, but I have 300 or more bowls dried or drying waiting for me. Good luck, nice bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-13-2016, 1:54 PM
In South Wester Ontario we have several species of Maples, the Ambrosia beetle is luckily not common, and so the so called “Ambrosia Maple” you will find seldom.

The Silver Maple is often the Maple infected by the Ambrosia beetle, and I have turned quite a bit of Silver Maple, though only once or twice did I find a what I consider a Ambrosia track in the wood.

The Silver Maple is easy to work and dry without problems, if you give it the time to do so, I’ve always dried the rough turned pieces in a brown paper bag and set in a cool place, never had any problems with splitting by drying it that way.

Even the more different shapes would dry just fine, just start with wood without splits and then dry it slowly in a brown paper bag, no need for anything else at all.

The first picture has a line on the front that I think was from a Ambrosia beetle infection, the next two are Silver Maple bowls I’ve turned.
340638 340639 340643

Behind my truck and left top and down are all Silver Maple logs, also a Silver Maple leaf starting to discolor.
340640 340641