PDA

View Full Version : x700 reset problems, possibly x axis limiter

Stuart Hampton
07-11-2016, 8:33 PM
HELP!!!

OK, the back story. I have an x700 redsail laser that has been working wonderfully for the last 6 months.

Today, I turn my wonderful machine on and it begins the setup, moving the aser head to the top roght corner of the machine, whirring a bit then moving to the origin.

Only today it didnt.

Today it jammd into the top left corner and made a terrible grinding sound.

Having hit the e-stop. I begin checking things. Ultimatly three things appear:

1. The y-axis limiter (red box that the bottom that lights up), activates, but does not stop the head.
2. The x-axis limiter does not light up and does not stop the head
3. I suspect the laser setting now think that the bed is huge (by my estimate 100 x 100m)

I did turn the machine on from the power without with the laser itself turned on.

How do I fix this? I have just sold my first laser cut thing, and sods law, the laser is misbehaving.

I need help in a hurry and hope you guys know what I have done wrong.

Cheers,

Stuart

Steven Yates
07-12-2016, 6:16 AM
Where are you seeing axis limiters that light up? I'm not familiar with what you're describing.

Did you say the machine is trying to reset to the top left corner now instead of the top right? It sounds like it has gotten confused about either where the home position is, or which way is left or right. There is no limit switch to the left, so if it is trying to reset in that direction it will keep trying and produce that grinding sound.

Try taping the x-axis limit switch closed, move the head to the center of the x-axis, and power it on. Taping the switch closed will prevent it from moving left when it tries to reset, which should prevent it from grinding.

If the head then moves to a reasonable place on the bed when it tries to find the origin, try using the arrow keys to move the head. If it moves in the wrong direction horizontally, it has gotten confused about which way is left and right. If it moves correctly, then it believes the home position is the top left instead of top right.

Jerome Stanek
07-12-2016, 6:30 AM
I would try by unplugging the steppers and then turn it on move the head to your homing switches and then re write your setup from your software. Make sure that the correct corner is selected in the software setup

Bill George
07-12-2016, 7:59 AM
Machines don't get confused. If this just started check for loose connections, not just looking but also pushing on plugs or removing and re-plugging. Check with a screwdriver any screwed connections. Please don't make any adjustments or changes until you check things out as above.
If those are optical sensors, it might be as simple as just a cleaning of those.

Jerome Stanek
07-12-2016, 8:21 AM
Machines don't get confused. If this just started check for loose connections, not just looking but also pushing on plugs or removing and re-plugging. Check with a screwdriver any screwed connections. Please don't make any adjustments or changes until you check things out as above.
If those are optical sensors, it might be as simple as just a cleaning of those.

I don't know where you got that info from but I had to do that on both my laser and cnc

Steven Yates
07-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Machines get confused when their settings are changed to invalid values. This should not happen spontaneously, but settings are occasionally changed unintentionally.

A loose connection should not cause the movement along an axis to reverse. If the machine is now resetting against the left edge as the OP seemed to state, then the sensor is not dirty, it is just at the opposite end of the machine of where the head is moving. The settings regarding x-axis travel and home position need to be verified.

Bill George
07-12-2016, 10:59 AM
I don't know where you got that info from but I had to do that on both my laser and cnc

From issues with my own Chinese laser and since 1962 troubleshooting electrical controls and systems. You can never say never when looking for a problem. I have seen people take hours or days to fix a really simple issue....like a broken wire connection. In one case a guy spent nearly 8 hours replacing relays, and finally a transformer and I went out and found a blown fuse!

And Steven note that I said clean all the sensors (if they are optical) and check all the wiring. Yes the loose connections I found on my laser caused it to slam into the other side.

Rodne Gold
07-12-2016, 12:04 PM
I think its software.. get a valid config file/settings of your machine from your suppliers
Maybe they can do a teamview and check your stuff..?

Kev Williams
07-12-2016, 2:33 PM
One of my observations over the years. if a stepper has a loose or broken wire or connection, yes it can very well run in reverse- not necessarily 'smoothly' but the wrong way nonetheless. Been having issues with the spindle stepper on my old V5000 for over a year, while engraving with the tool down the stepper would 'walk' up and down, it's own decision, several steps either way. Found out the problem- I cleaned the connectors on the XYZ board and it's been fine ever since...

I know jack about how to override or test an optical limit switch. 'nuff said. ;)

From the description the machine went straight for the top left corner rather than the top right corner which is normal... Could be simply the software setting got changed accidentally.
It would be pretty easy on my machine

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/zeroset.jpg

If the machine heads for a corner with no limit switch, it has no reason to stop....