PDA

View Full Version : Belts for 18-900L drill press

Gregory King
07-11-2016, 8:32 PM
It's time to bite the bullet and replace the belts on my Delta. For whatever reason, only one of those got chewed up. Is there a better version than the factory original. For which I am being quoted $50.00 each. Really not interested in purchasing company shares at this time. P.S. I tried a link belt from LV, but obviously the pulleys are of the serpentine design. As soon as the press loads up, they slip. Nice try at the very least. Greg

Thomas S Stockton
07-11-2016, 9:25 PM
Try these guys http://www.beltsforanything.com/
they seem to have the widest selection, might help if you can find some info on the original belt
Tom

Bruce Wrenn
07-11-2016, 9:56 PM
Gates used to have charts that they could match up most any belt by using OEM number. Have you "googled" part number? Also check on ebay. Delta didn't make this belt, most likely

Ben Rivel
07-11-2016, 11:02 PM
That price is not good to hear. I have an 18-900L too. How old is yours and how often are you using it?

glenn bradley
07-11-2016, 11:36 PM
I use link belts.

Gregory King
07-12-2016, 7:06 PM
Bruce: I checked one site that shows $15 a belt. Good price for sure. I can have it shipped to Vanceboro, Maine. Only 20 minutes from my place to the border. Add duty and GST, I'll come out ahead.The $50 price tag was a local supplier. Again, I wonder if their is a better grade in general. Not sure on that.

Gregory King
07-12-2016, 7:10 PM
Ben : its about 6 years old. Probably about 4 hours in total time used. I was using a 2.5" forstner bit when I smelled the smoke. Then the belt started fraying.

Gregory King
07-12-2016, 7:13 PM
Glen: please update me on the link belts. I bought extra when I replaced the one on my table saw. It works super. Is there a different design for my drill press? Greg

Ben Rivel
07-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Ben : its about 6 years old. Probably about 4 hours in total time used. I was using a 2.5" forstner bit when I smelled the smoke. Then the belt started fraying.
Jeez, thats not encouraging. Mine is about a year old and so far so good but reading something like this makes me wonder. Perhaps Ill order a set of those cheaper belts while the gettin's good.

glenn bradley
07-13-2016, 2:05 PM
Glen: please update me on the link belts. I bought extra when I replaced the one on my table saw. It works super. Is there a different design for my drill press? Greg

They are directional, of course, but my DP takes 1/2" belts like a lot of my machines. I too just used leftovers for the two DP belts. Really smoothed things out and quieted it down although it was pretty good to start with. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby this is one of their diamonds in the rough. Their link belts are actually name brand and cheaper than most suppliers.