PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the THORNY LOCUST!!!!!!

Clarence Martin
07-11-2016, 7:34 PM
Cut tree down : It comes back...

Drill holes in stump... It comes back...

Spray with Round UP AND 41 % Gycophosphate..... IT COMES BACK.....

So... I tried sometging different!!!

NOW, DON'T LAUGH !!!!:D

For a test , I sprayed 4 different locations in the front and back yard that had those darn things sprouting up..

Anyone want to guess what I sprayed the Locusts with??

In 24 hours!!!! they were all DEAD AS A DOOR NAIL !!!

Larry Frank
07-11-2016, 7:45 PM
I have had good luck with Roundup. For a stump, I drill some 1/2" holes down in and fill with Roundup.

For sprouts I trim off the top a bit and then cut a straw off to fit over the sprout and finally put some roundup down the straw. It kills the sprout and others close to it.

Brent Cutshall
07-11-2016, 7:45 PM
I've dumped bacon grease on stuff to kill it, but I ain't got any idea what you might have used. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Clarence Martin
07-11-2016, 8:17 PM
I've dumped bacon grease on stuff to kill it, but I ain't got any idea what you might have used. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Hint:.....

It is used to prevent getting the ZIKA VIRUS!!:D

Rich Riddle
07-11-2016, 8:21 PM
I use concentrated Round-Up poured in the holes.

Clarence Martin
07-11-2016, 8:27 PM
Round Up didn't work

Maria Alvarado
07-11-2016, 8:53 PM
Off?
Crazy!

Greg R Bradley
07-11-2016, 8:57 PM
Round Up is a complete waste of time on WOODY plants like trees. Unless it is a conifer, use Triclopyr.

Round up is sprayed on leaves to stop photosysthesis, killing leafy plants. Trying to drill holes or get it to be absorbed into stumps will require a crazy amount or endless applications to stop new green growth.

Triclopyr stops the new green growth from starting in the first place. It is also great for oily/waxy plants like poison ivy.

Clarence Martin
07-11-2016, 9:07 PM
Off?
Crazy!

And it WORKED!!:D

Maria Alvarado
07-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Hmmm...might have to try it on my bamboo. Keep out the mosquitos at the same time!

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-11-2016, 10:14 PM
Good for you for finding something that worked! Crossbow herbicide works wonders on woody plants too. Like others have said, Roundup is more for leafy weeds and grasses. You can also to a "supermix" and mix Crossbow with Roundup and kill off all sorts of mixed-vegetation. This is a woodworking forum. No need to remind about using caution with mixing & breathing chemicals! :-)

John K Jordan
07-12-2016, 12:45 AM
Cut tree down : It comes back...

Honey Locust? We don't have it here so I don't know anything about it but... if it is anything like Black Locust it sends up sprouts from shallow roots that grow outwards far from the tree. They are a little bit like Johnson grass and bamboo in that respect.

I wouldn't get too excited about killing the little sprouts that pop up from the roots. Unless you somehow killed the roots they will send up more sprouts later. Maybe next week, maybe next year. Killing tree roots by spraying something on the sprouts would be a miracle I think.

The only thing that I've found that will get rid of Black Locust sprouts forever is to dig up the roots. When more sprout, I dig them up until I finally get them all.

JKJ

Brent Cutshall
07-12-2016, 6:33 AM
Unless they are specifically in the way, I don't mess with black locust. Locust is like wooden gold around my house. I use it for building, burning, handles, and posts (and I fence a lot).

Wayne Lovell
07-12-2016, 7:24 AM
Remedy 1 qt to i gal diesel, spray about a 4 inch band all the way around the trunk just above the base. If you look on the Texas A&M web site they list another product you can mix in in addition to the Remedy that is supposed to make it even better, I have not tried it just the Remedy has worked for me.

Pat Barry
07-12-2016, 7:46 AM
Off is a great weed and grass killer. Kinda makes you wonder what it might do to you doesn't it?

Chuck Saunders
07-12-2016, 8:43 AM
Immediately after cutting down the tree, (and I mean the chainsaw is still running) flood the stump with 2-4-D

Joe Tilson
07-12-2016, 8:59 AM
The best(and cheapest) way to do it is to pack it with ice cream salt. Been doing it that way for three or four generations in our family. If I can get a picture on this blog, I will show you a very dead Crape Myrtle in my front yard. Now if we could just prevent the roots from sprouting, it would be wonderful. Eraser HD doesn't work either.340564

Brian Tymchak
07-12-2016, 12:38 PM
And it WORKED!!:D

What lead you to try Off?

Erik Loza
07-12-2016, 12:47 PM

Erik

Clarence Martin
07-12-2016, 2:49 PM
What lead you to try Off?

Tried the commercial stuff, and they didn't work. So, I figured if it could stick to the leaves of the Locust, it might block the photosynthesis process in the plant. Apparently, I think I was on the right track,

Kev Williams
07-12-2016, 3:19 PM
If the roots are sprouting, it ain't dead, imo... Like the Chinese Elm trees around here. No matter what happens on top-Roundup, Triox, gasoline, diesel fuel, rock salt, stump killer, root rotter- they just get bigger down under.

Vegetation is evil.

Clarence Martin
07-25-2016, 3:33 PM
Would burning the stump and the ground around it , work better ? I know there are a few Farmers around here that still burn their fields to kill the bugs and weeds.