PDA

View Full Version : Redsail X700 not cutting with enough power?????

Callum Angus
07-11-2016, 5:57 PM
HI again all.

I have a Redsail x700 that I am just getting to grips with and I need some help..

For some reason unknown to me I cannot seem to get the laser to cut through even 3mm plywood???? This is slightly alarming...

Im using Autolaser and have the parameters set up as cut speed 15mm/s and the power as 100% but it wont cut through.. pictures attached. I have also already set the distance between the material and the lens with the acrylic block supplied..

Once I take the speed down to 8mm/s it does cut through but the angle of the cut is not straight... the cut looks like its on an angle for some reason??

PLEASE HELP!

Keith Downing
07-11-2016, 6:06 PM
Once I take the speed down to 8mm/s it does cut through but the angle of the cut is not straight... the cut looks like its on an angle for some reason??

Can you elaborate on this, or perhaps post some pictures?

Assuming you have your material properly secured, and the focal length set correctly. Then I would say the next thing to check would be the lens and alignment. Not sure what else would cause the laser to cut at an angle.

And yes, if your machine is running properly you should be able to cut through 3mm plywood at 15 mm/s and 100% power on a 60 w machine.

Callum Angus
07-11-2016, 7:08 PM
Hi Keith and yes of course..

it it seems like the laser is cutting on a slight angle for some reason.. One the piece is cut I would expect a straight edge cut from the top to the bottom of the cut straight down from the lens...

But it as you can see from the images attached this is not happening??340539

The first picture is a close up a a long straight cut that I did and the second is of the same cut placed on another piece of material... If the cut was straight down this would normally create a 90 degree angle..??

it just seems like the machine doesn't have the power to put anything when I've heard of people cutting through 6mm mdf on the same machines..??

Keith Downing
07-11-2016, 7:21 PM
Alignment and focus are just as important as power coming from the tube. Think of it as using the power you have correctly and efficiently.

Not saying that is where your problem is for sure; but that's where I would start. Make sure your lens is not cracked, and not off center or dirty.

Then I'd do the mirror alignment checks if you haven't done it recently. Here is a video from boss laser that walks you through the steps of aligning the mirrors and lens on a chinese laser. . It's not a redsail, but I don't think the chinese lasers are fundamentally too different. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5D27TQwZI

And yes, my laser has always cut in perfect 90 degree angle compared to a level wood surface.

Bert Kemp
07-11-2016, 8:33 PM
I cut 3 mm ply at 65% power 12mmps speed on my 60 watt.
Your kerf line when cutting should be very thin about the width of a fine lead pencil if its any thicker then that your not focused , like Keith said make sure you have proper alignment and all mirrors are clean, lens is clean and right side up (curve up)make sure your lens tube is not blocking any portion of the beam. also make sure your laser head is perpendicular to the table and your table is level.

What is the date stamped on your tube are you sure its a new tube?

Bert Kemp
07-11-2016, 8:37 PM
cant tell much from the sideways back lite pictures

Hi Keith and yes of course..

it it seems like the laser is cutting on a slight angle for some reason.. One the piece is cut I would expect a straight edge cut from the top to the bottom of the cut straight down from the lens...

But it as you can see from the images attached this is not happening??340539

The first picture is a close up a a long straight cut that I did and the second is of the same cut placed on another piece of material... If the cut was straight down this would normally create a 90 degree angle..??

it just seems like the machine doesn't have the power to put anything when I've heard of people cutting through 6mm mdf on the same machines..??

Keith Winter
07-11-2016, 8:45 PM
HI again all.

I have a Redsail x700 that I am just getting to grips with and I need some help..

For some reason unknown to me I cannot seem to get the laser to cut through even 3mm plywood???? This is slightly alarming...

Im using Autolaser and have the parameters set up as cut speed 15mm/s and the power as 100% but it wont cut through.. pictures attached. I have also already set the distance between the material and the lens with the acrylic block supplied..

PLEASE HELP!

Have you aligned it? If not then do a full alignment.

John Noell
07-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Are you sure that you have "interior" ply? Exterior ply uses a glue that will defeat most CO2 lasers.

Callum Angus
07-12-2016, 4:26 AM
Hi keith,

Thank you very much for that video, it is brilliant!

I did a quick alignment check last night and there was a difference in all of the burn marks on the paper so im assuming it isnt aligned properly..

Ill do it properly tonight when I have more time.

Thanks again!!!

Callum Angus
07-12-2016, 4:30 AM
cant tell much from the sideways back lite pictures

Hi Bert, sorry about the image not being the right way up and the light in the background..

I dont think that the laser is aligned properly as did a quick check last night and the marks on the paper were way off to the left side of the circle and not together when I checked at the bottom and then the top of the bed.

Callum Angus
07-12-2016, 4:32 AM
Are you sure that you have "interior" ply? Exterior ply uses a glue that will defeat most CO2 lasers.

Hi John, thanks for the reply.

It is laser plywood that I am trying to cut so I assume that it is the correct stuff..??