PDA

View Full Version : Best Leatherman for electrician?

Charles Wiggins
07-11-2016, 3:44 PM
My son is going to be 21 next month and he just started his first "real" job doing maintenance at a manufacturing facility. He is studying to be an electrician and electrical is a big part of his job, so I thought a Leatherman would be a great birthday gift. I know the Wave is very popular, but the Surge seems to be more suited to electrical work.

Any experienced thoughts or opinions? Any other brand you think is better?

John Sidwell
07-11-2016, 4:13 PM
I'm still using a Gerber 400 that I got as a Christmas present 10 years ago as my general purpose multi-tool. I think it's another brand to consider in addition to Leatherman. I'm not sure if the Leatherman would be better for electrical work though, I've just used mine for computer repair, and all those times you need a pair of pliers to adjust something.

Adam Herman
07-11-2016, 5:02 PM
http://www.sogknives.com/type/multi-tools/powerlock-eod-black-oxide.html

i have an sog power lock and find it to be much more useful than any other multi-tool i have owned, and all the parts are replaceable, you can customize the tools in them. i have used the 1/4 socket tool with the thing half open for leverage tightening hose clamps and stuff and really torqued on it. still works great after many years of service. the cap crimper works on electrical fittings in a pinch as well. Though, mine has been used on blasting caps and 80gr det cord as well.

edit: real wire strippers to include on the multitools.

http://www.sogknives.com/industrial/accessories/wire-stripper.html

Jerome Stanek
07-11-2016, 6:04 PM
A couple electricians that I worked with said they like the Gerber better as they can use one hand to open it to use the pliers. They said that they tried the Leatherman but when up on a ladder it was a problem to open. I have carried a Gerber for 25 years my first one the pin for the pliers ore and I called Gerber and they shipped me a new one that was 15 years ago

Charles Wiggins
07-11-2016, 6:57 PM
I used to carry a Gerber when I did furniture delivery and it was easy to open the pliers single-handed, but I was not impressed otherwise.

John Sanford
07-12-2016, 1:13 AM
I'd head over to EDC Forum and/or Garage Journal.com and search/ask around there...

Rich Riddle
07-12-2016, 11:25 PM
My background from eons ago was electronics and electricity for the military. My oldest friend is an journeyman electrician in the IBEW. His opinion was like mine, the multi-tools are dangerous to the field. His employer bans them as did (does) the military. They're fine when not working with electricity. I keep one in the center console of the pickup. It's handy there.

John Lanciani
07-13-2016, 6:35 AM
My background from eons ago was electronics and electricity for the military. My oldest friend is an journeyman electrician in the IBEW. His opinion was like mine, the multi-tools are dangerous to the field. His employer bans them as did (does) the military. They're fine when not working with electricity. I keep one in the center console of the pickup. It's handy there.

+1. Multi tools are ok in a pinch but in my professional opinion (28+ years, started as an electricians apprentice and currently the head of the substation and metering dept. of a utility) they don't belong in the field. A set of good line pliers - I'm partial to Klein D2000-9NE's - run about the price of a multi tool and are far more appropriate for the trade.

Scott T Smith
07-14-2016, 9:49 AM
http://www.sogknives.com/type/multi-tools/powerlock-eod-black-oxide.html

i have an sog power lock and find it to be much more useful than any other multi-tool i have owned, and all the parts are replaceable, you can customize the tools in them. i have used the 1/4 socket tool with the thing half open for leverage tightening hose clamps and stuff and really torqued on it. still works great after many years of service. the cap crimper works on electrical fittings in a pinch as well. Though, mine has been used on blasting caps and 80gr det cord as well.

edit: real wire strippers to include on the multitools.

http://www.sogknives.com/industrial/accessories/wire-stripper.html

Hi Charles.

Similar to Adam, I too carry a SOG power lock daily and have for a long time. Have tried Gerber and Leatherman, but prefer the SOG. When I'm doing electrical work, I'll use the SOG in a pinch, but really prefer to use my dedicated electrical tools instead of the SOG.

In my electrical "to go" bag I keep a full set of nut drivers, Klein pliers and wire strippers, both dedicated and universal screwdrivers, allen wrenches and an assortment of other tools that are handy to have available. I've found that I prefer doing electrical work with the proper tool instead of my SOG.

Klein and Greenlee both make great tools for electricians. Although Fluke multi meters are the "Cadillac" meter to have, I've found that my Ideal clamp on meter is my preferred daily meter. It's nice to have a portable pouch or bag with multiple slots for tools, as it makes it easier to organize them and always find the appropriate tool quickly. I have a VETO Pro Pac that I use as my portable bag for electrical and general around-the-home repair, but some folks prefer an open bag. My only complaint re the VETO is that it is much heavier than other types of bags.

Charles Wiggins
07-14-2016, 4:40 PM
Thanks for everyone for the replies.

As a student, he already has some electrical tools, but his job goes beyond just electrical work, so I was looking for something a little more universal that might save him a trip back to the office to get the "right" tool.

I ordered an SOG Powerlock (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F27P4C/). I also ordered an SOG Kilowatt (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z77ZP8/) knife for him, just because I thought it was cool.

If he can't use them I'll be glad to have them around and I'll give him some money toward a better multi-meter.