PDA

View Full Version : Jet Jointer

Byron Trantham
06-14-2003, 9:57 AM
I have a 6" Jet jointer (blue version). The fence is giving me fits. It leans to the right as you look at it. It actually touches the infeed table. I can't seem to figure out what to adjust. When I lossen the clamp that allows the fence to move forward and backwards, there is enough play to adjust it. But, once the clamp is re-tightened, it goes back to the original positon. I'm porbably looking right at the fix but be darned if I can figure it out. HELP!

Jim Becker
06-14-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Byron Trantham
When I lossen the clamp that allows the fence to move forward and backwards, there is enough play to adjust it. But, once the clamp is re-tightened, it goes back to the original positon.

That's your clue about what to do...which is to shim under the infeed side of the sliding portion (that is attached to the fence) of the adjuster thingie (technical term...). That should raise the infeed side up slightly. You'll want to use stick-on metal tape for this and you may need to replace it occasionally due to wear if you adjust the fence back and forth very much. Be sure to clean any grease or lubricant off the casting before applying the shim material.

But before you do that, see if by loosening the bolts that hold the fence casting to the adjuster you can change the orientation of the fence slightly. It shouldn't take much.

Byron Trantham
06-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Jim Becker

But before you do that, see if by loosening the bolts that hold the fence casting to the adjuster you can change the orientation of the fence slightly. It shouldn't take much.

Actually Jim, I did just realize these bolts existed. As I said, it was probably staring right in the face. I just got in from running around town for SWMBO. I'll take a look after I cool off.:D