PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox feeder?

Greg Urwiller
07-10-2016, 11:30 PM
I've had a Shop Fox 1702 shaper for about 4 yrs now. Bought it used, figured on using it regularly. However, I've only used it a few times now, mostly for rabbets or pattern routing. Quite honestly the thing scares me! I've imagined using it with a lock miter bit to make some legs for some mission furniture. Right now I laminate the legs and face the edge sides with an 1/8" pc. Works well enough but I'd still like to try a lock miter. Found a Shop Fox 1/2 hp 1766 feeder on CL. Forgot to ask the age, but it's new and has never been mounted/run. $500. Not a steal but 1/2 price what a new one is. Guys selling 3 shapers and closing down a shop here and has another shop set up a few states away. He'll be here for 1 more week before he goes back home so I have a little time to decide if I want it. I'm just worried I'll buy it and it will sit there and never be used. Under the circumstances is this a good investment for my shaper?? These are few and very far between in my area and this is probably the best deal I've seen on a feeder anywhere close to me.

Rick Fisher
07-11-2016, 1:40 AM
Hey Greg

I have a simple 3hp shaper and use a feeder with it .. I wouldn't probably own it without a feeder. Lots of guys use them free hand but like you, I don't much like it.

With a feeder, I tend to get better quality cuts and use it more..

Wayne Lomman
07-11-2016, 6:59 AM
Greg, a feeder is definitely worth it. As Rick says, you get better quality cuts and it controls the piece of timber for you. Much less scary. While my shaper is not the most used machine in my shop, it is far and away my favorite machine.

I had to learn to use a shaper with no feeder and slotted collar cutters with no safety pins. The switch was at floor level so that you could duck below the shrapnel if it all let go. Only saw that happen once thankfully and no-one was hurt. I hated it until I started work in a shop that had a feeder and the whole world changed. Cheers

roger wiegand
07-11-2016, 8:26 AM
I use my shaper regularly since getting the Shop Fox feeder. Before that I used it only rarely and with a certain level of terror. With the feeder it has become my go-to tool for many cuts. Most definitely worthwhile.

Rod Sheridan
07-11-2016, 8:29 AM
Greg, that's a good size feeder for your shaper.

The feeder will produce better quality work, and be far safer than hand feeding the shaper.

If I were you, I would buy it............Regards, Rod.

Jeff Monson
07-11-2016, 11:18 AM
That would be a great feeder for your machine. I agree with the other posts, it will be much safer and result in better quality cuts. I'm no feeder expert, but I do remember reading there are not too many companies that produce them. Most are re-labeled, this one looks identical to my Delta feeder.

David Kumm
07-11-2016, 2:30 PM
Likely a Comatic who makes most feeders now. A decent sized shaper should have a feeder- period. Get one. Dave

Jeff Duncan
07-11-2016, 9:30 PM
For $500 you can't go wrong. A feeder is indispensable for a shaper. I do a ton of stuff freehand....but would never want to be without a feeder for where there needed.

good luck,
JeffD

Greg Urwiller
07-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Looks like it's unanimous. Luckily I'm on vacation this week so I've got some time to go look at it. About 75 miles away, but that's about a 1/3 of the distance of all I've ever seen advertised in my area.

David Kumm
07-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Budget for new wheels. Stock are usually crappy. Yellow or blue urethane from Western Roller or Axiom. Dave

mreza Salav
07-12-2016, 12:01 AM
I have a feeder on my shaper that I also use (occasionally) on router table, or joiner (if have lots of joining) and once used it on bandsaw.
It's a machine that I wouldn't want to be without.

Jim Andrew
07-12-2016, 8:18 PM
I have the Grizzly 1hp feeder on their 3hp shaper, like it, but would like to upgrade the wheels. Grizzly is now selling urethane wheels, anyone try them?

Rick Fisher
07-13-2016, 3:19 PM
Friend of mine recently upgraded the wheels on his Co-Matic and said the difference was night and day. No more slipping and sliding.. Not sure if his old ones where just old or just lousy but he says the new ones make all the difference ..

I think the new ones came from Axiom ? or something like that .. it was from a roller company, not a machine company.

Jeff Duncan
07-13-2016, 8:57 PM
Friend of mine recently upgraded the wheels on his Co-Matic and said the difference was night and day. No more slipping and sliding.. Not sure if his old ones where just old or just lousy but he says the new ones make all the difference ..

I think the new ones came from Axiom ? or something like that .. it was from a roller company, not a machine company.

Most, (if not all), new feeders come with rubber tires which tend to get hard and glaze up over time. Once they get that way they don't grip worth a darn. I'm not sure why the manufacturers refuse to supply good tires as feeders are not cheap machines, but they do.:mad:

The replacements from Western Roller and similar companies are a poly material and just work infinitely better.

JeffD

Mel Fulks
07-13-2016, 9:07 PM
Agree with Jeff, but he is being too generous.... Some of those tires are useless ,even brand new. How many more decades is it going to take for OSHA and gov to get them off the market?