PDA

View Full Version : Agazanni Bandsaws vs. others

timothy mckee
09-24-2005, 2:14 PM
I have seen quite a bit of debate over Laguna vs. Minimax saws, but rarely see the Agazanni saws part of the discussion. Where do you think they stand in the competition. Given the other two, I would probably buy the Minimax just due to their customer service. I know that Sam Maloof uses them. Just want to know before I buy.........

Jim Becker
09-24-2005, 2:39 PM
Agazanni makes fine saws...several Creekers own them, including folks who also have MM and/or Laguna equipment. You would likely be happy with any of these saws, so choose the one that best fits your needs and where the source is most comfortable to you relative to support, etc.

Mike Mastin
09-24-2005, 2:50 PM
Tim,

I looked at the Agazzani's before I purchased the MiniMax MM24. I really liked it alot, but the MiniMax swayed me in the end due to the strength of the saws. Any of the big three are nice bandsaws, I just felt that my money was better spent with MiniMax.

Mark Singer
09-24-2005, 3:47 PM
I have the Aggazani 20"....it is a great saw! It is in the shops of Maloof, Krenov and Mark Duginski ("Bandsaw book")

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width=97 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>http://www.eagle-tools.com/Media/detailphotos.jpg (http://www.eagle-tools.com/Pages/agazzaniphotos.html)</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>Detail photos of bandsaws (http://www.eagle-tools.com/Pages/agazzaniphotos.html)

</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Euroshop/Agazzani bandsaws can be found in the shops of:

Mark Duginske - author of The Bandsaw Handbook

Fine Woodworking Magazine selected by editor Tim Schreiner

College of the Redwoods - James Krenov

Sam Maloof - Fine Furniture Builder

Jim Young
09-24-2005, 6:36 PM
Euroshop/Agazzani bandsaws can be found in the shops of:

Mark Duginske - author of The Bandsaw Handbook

Fine Woodworking Magazine selected by editor Tim Schreiner

College of the Redwoods - James Krenov

Sam Maloof - Fine Furniture Builder
I'm hurt, my name wasn't on that list. :)

But really, I bought the 20" Agazzani a few years back and love it. Can't think of anything negative about it other than it is a bear to get into the basement.
http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/uploads/SimolisPage/jy_Agazanni_12312004.jpg

Alan Turner
09-24-2005, 10:00 PM
I too have the Aggi 20", and it is a strong and accurate saw. I would have gone bigger, but my basement ceining height was maxed with the 20". It seems that the primary difference is that on the Aggi, the tire is vulcanized onto the wheelm then ground for the crown, and the balanced.

Chris Giles
09-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Tim,

My Aggy 24" looks almost exactly like the 20" shown in the previous post, except a little bigger and has an electronic brake instead of the foot pedal. I just resawed the other day, a piece of 2" x 10" x 12' wenge on it. What a beast that was! The machine seems to do whatever I require of it quite gracefully. I find I can actually slide it around a bit myself on the concrete floor if I need to reposition it to resaw long stuff. I have to say I'm not wild about the bearings as they are a bit stiff with the blade. I want to get a set of Carter wheel bearings for it soon. I beiieve they run around $250 for top and bottom sets.

Brian Hale
09-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Are the Aggy's sold under another name? They look very similar to Wilke's Bridgewood PBS series of bandsaws...

Brian :)

Jamie Buxton
09-25-2005, 12:45 AM
Are the Aggy's sold under another name? They look very similar to Wilke's Bridgewood PBS series of bandsaws...

As far as I know, Agazzanis are sold only under their own name. That Wilke line of saws is built by ACM, which is the company that makes the Hammer/Felder and most of the Laguna saws.

Unless you study them carefully, it is somewhat difficult to distinguish among the Italian bandsaws (ACM, Agazzani, and SCM which is sold here as MiniMax). They're all built within 50 miles of each other in northeastern Italy, and seem to share a lot of DNA. Some of the parts -- for instance blade guides -- are identical. They're all good machines.

Mark Singer
09-25-2005, 1:44 AM
Centuato and Meber are 2 other Italian saws....not quite as refined if I remember correctly

John Renzetti
09-25-2005, 8:18 AM

Hi Brian, Panhans a German company uses the Agazanni bandsaws. The difference was that they changed the electrics and used German made components. A friend bought one and it is really nice. Unfortunately, I believe Panhans is in bankruptcy and they are no longer imported into the USA.
As previous mentioned ACM makes the saws for Felder, Laguna, and the Wilke Bridgewood PBS line. Also some of the Tannewitz models are by ACM. My personal opinion is that the Bridegwood PBS-440 is about the best deal out their is terms of cost vs what you get. In the 20" and above, in spite of all the hype, etc, they are all good. My personal preference would be an Agazzani Rapide, 24-28" model. A couple of friends have them. I just like the way that saw looks.
take care,
John

Brian Hale
09-25-2005, 9:23 AM
My personal opinion is that the Bridegwood PBS-440 is about the best deal out their is terms of cost vs what you get.
take care,
John

Thanks John. I've been eyeing up that Bridgewood everytime i go into the store and it looks like a fine machine. Only a few hundred $$$ to go and it'll be in my shop. (that'll make the 8th Bridgewood in my shop :cool: )

John Renzetti
09-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks John. I've been eyeing up that Bridgewood everytime i go into the store and it looks like a fine machine. Only a few hundred $$$ to go and it'll be in my shop. (that'll make the 8th Bridgewood in my shop :cool: )

hi Brian, You can't go wrong there. I like Wilke. Nice company. The PBS-440 is a real sleeper for those in the 16-18" size range. I never realized it until I did a close examination but their frame is heavier than on the other 18" ACM machines. Plus they hang that big 3hp Marathon USA motor on it. And they say its "3hp" period.
Enjoy that saw when you get it.
take care,
John

Brian Hale
09-25-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure i can hold out long enough for the PBS 540 so it'll be the PBS 440. I really like the idea that Wilke sets up the machine and runs it before they ship/sell them. I wish other companies would do that, really cuts down on customer problems.

Tony Shaftel
09-26-2005, 12:03 AM
I too have the 20" Agazzani, purchased three years or so ago from Eagle Tools, which is near me. It's a very solid and capable saw and I'm pleased to own it.

Jack Easton
09-27-2005, 9:17 AM
And they say its "3hp" period. John

So I guess I can say, "4.8HP, Exclamation Point." :D Really, Brain... All the saws you are mentioning are on another level and you would most likely be happy with any of them. Mini Max is the brawniest, Aggazani the prettiest and the Bridgewood falls somewhere in between. It just comes down to which one turns you on. My only recommendation would be to get the most powerful machine with the largest capacities you can afford and justify it later why you spent so much money.