PDA

View Full Version : Pen Jig and Laser Engraving Settings

RICHARD LAXTON
07-10-2016, 4:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a Pen Jig for Laser Engraving Pens on the forum. I have a 35 watt Epilog 32 Lengend engraver and was wondering if anyone had any ideal engraving settings as far as speed, power, dpi.

Thanks much for any and all assistance. I love this forum. I don't get here quite as often as I would like.

Bert Kemp
07-10-2016, 8:50 PM
I think laser bits sells a pen jig as far as settings you need practice pens or I use cheap dowel pins the apprx dia of the pens. pen setting will change depending on the type of wood

Keith Outten
07-11-2016, 2:49 AM
Richard,

You can use a piece of plywood and route a 90 degree "V" in the ply. Laser engrave your start and end points on the plywood to calibrate it to your engraving drawing.

The better choice is to purchase a rotary attachment for your machine.
Your engraving settings will vary based on your machine and the material you are engraving so you will have to do some experimental work on each material type to establish your settings.

Mike Null
07-11-2016, 7:23 AM
Richard

In terms of settings I think you're going to have to find your own way due to the variations in materials and speed and power of the machines. If you want to do single or double line text engraving then Keith's V-groove solution works very well. If you want to get into more elaborate engraving then the rotary device will be necessary. Beside pens there are many items that the rotary will enable you to engrave.

A search on SMC should turn up several examples of jigs.

RICHARD LAXTON
07-11-2016, 1:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the reply. I did make my own out of acrylic that seems to work ok. I was just wondering if there was one out there that might be better.

Chris Achtschin
07-15-2016, 4:19 PM
Laserbits does have a nice one, I use it a lot.