PDA

View Full Version : Rain gutter installation

Fred Perreault
07-09-2016, 7:05 AM
I was wondering if most extruded aluminum gutter installers tuck the gutter under the drip edge on the asphalt shingled roof? If not, does it make a difference in the life of the facia trim behind the gutter. Any experience with this?

Thanks, Fred

Jim Becker
07-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Logically, it seems one would want the back edge of the gutter to be tucked under the drip edge...and the drip edge needs to be something that is designed to make the water flow off, rather than continue to bend back under the edge due to surface tension.

Tom M King
07-10-2016, 12:43 PM
I always add a strip under the drip edge to make sure it's far enough away from the fascia so it actually performs to make the water drip into any gutter, or away from the fascia without a gutter. I size the strip according to the type of gutter. Classic Gutters, with their cast mounts, stand a little farther away from the fascia than regular gutters, and require a strip to move the drip leg of the drip edge 3/4" out from the fascia. If it's standing seam roof with another 1-1/2" overhang past the drip leg, it almost makes 6" guttering required to allow enough room for cleanout, even on a small roof.

Kind of hard to retrofit, but maybe useful for someone planning a new installation.

Patrick Walsh
07-10-2016, 4:17 PM
The answer to your question is yes.

However as mentioned up thread the done thing is to add a 3/4 X whatever "?" strip above the gutter and atop the top edge of the facia board. This is often refered to as a kicker. The drip edge then is installed over this 3/4 rip thus dropping the running water into the gutter and away from the facia board.

The "whatever" dimension is determined by projecting off the roofs sheathing to the front edge of the gutter with a straight edge. Whatever amount of space is left above the gutter and to the sheathing after the proper projection hight is determined is your rip hight.

If using wooden or composet gutters "Azek" or the like pack the facia out with small 1/4" rips atop the facia at the joist ends. This allows any water that did get behing the gutter to foow ut down the facia and not get trapped.

Hope that helps and dont have to much fun ;)

Fred Perreault
07-12-2016, 8:31 PM
Thanks all. I have had the roofer install a strip at the top of the facia to have the drip edge project out a wee bit to allow the water a better chance to land in the gutter without offending the facia.

David Helm
07-13-2016, 12:42 PM
One thing no one has mentioned is that the gutters need to fall toward the downspouts. If all the gutter is tucked under the drip edge, the gutter will be level and not take the water to the downspouts.

Tom M King
07-13-2016, 4:34 PM
David is right of course, but the spacer strip can still allow the drip to fall in the gutter even if the gutter is a few inches below. It doesn't have to be tucked up behind the drip edge. I've done it like that since I started building houses 43 years ago, and they all still work fine, or at least no owner has complained.