PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Gemini Duets Products

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-08-2016, 9:16 PM
So far, there has not been much discussion about working with and using Duets products by Gemini (https://duetsbygemini.com/).

I received my sample sheets of Laser XT Outdoor/Indoor some time ago but had not got around to trying them until today.

I ran a test on a red/white sample and used the exact same 1-pass engrave/cut settings as I use for LaserMax. (Note: Laser XT has .003 capsheet, while LaserMax has .001 capsheet. I didn't know they were different when I ran the test.) It looks great. Clean-up was quick and easy. I did not notice sticky edges like I sometimes get with LaserMax. The red/white looks identical to my Rowmark red/white too.

The next test will take a bit longer. I made a sign to hang out in the pasture and see how well it holds up with my other plastics I'm testing for sun, weather, and livestock abuse. :)

So far, I like what I see. I plan to try the other Duets products.

What are other people's experiences & results with the various Duets products?

Gene Uselman
07-09-2016, 10:41 AM
I have the Duets sample (chip) book- which is about $45 but very nice (they actually sent a whole new inner section a while ago when they came out with a few new products- nice) and have experimented with several of their plastics with good luck. I believe they are a bit cheaper than Rowmark, and they are a solid Mn company that I have sourced sign products from for 20 years with zero problems. Gene

Kev Williams
07-09-2016, 12:05 PM
No matter how much cheaper it is, if any, I would have to pay shipping costs and that will always put the price higher than what I pay for Rowmark.

The .003 top cap is interesting though- One of my long time customers, the labels I make for them are very much exposed to the weather, including middle-east desert sandstorms. Because of that I've always tool engraved their labels using ultramatte (.010 cap), haven't had a single label fail that I know of in over 20 years. A .003 cap might be a viable option for these.

Steve Morris
07-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Kev you might want to have a look at IPI LaserTuff, that has a 0.003 acrylic cap not a foil and they are owned by Rowmark.

Gemini don't have a UK dist at present, may be an opportunity for someone.

Tony Lenkic
07-09-2016, 3:28 PM
No matter how much cheaper it is, if any, I would have to pay shipping costs and that will always put the price higher than what I pay for Rowmark.

Kev,

Did you check Gemini discount offer? Purchase of $1500.00 they give you 30% discount. Are you paying that much more in shipping?

Keith Winter
07-09-2016, 9:21 PM
Kev,

Did you check Gemini discount offer? Purchase of $1500.00 they give you 30% discount. Are you paying that much more in shipping?

Nice tip! Do you have to buy direct for that or will JDS honor at discount too? $1500 at once or $1500 throughout the year?

Keith Winter
07-09-2016, 9:22 PM
I have the Duets sample (chip) book- which is about $45 but very nice (they actually sent a whole new inner section a while ago when they came out with a few new products- nice) and have experimented with several of their plastics with good luck. I believe they are a bit cheaper than Rowmark, and they are a solid Mn company that I have sourced sign products from for 20 years with zero problems. Gene

Gene I don't use the duets yet but I do have that sample book, very nice. Question in the sample book a number of the chips have rough edges where it was engraved to show the under color on the samples. Do the rough edges happen when you really engrave it with a laser or not?