PDA

View Full Version : Silicone wedding band

John Conklin
07-06-2016, 9:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried the new silicone wedding bands like Qalo? I've always been adamant about not wearing any rings while woodworking or working around the house. As such, I pretty much only wear my wedding ring when we go out.

While these aren't as nice as gold, they're better than nothing. They're relatively inexpensive and I'm, thinking about trying one, but was just curious if anyone had firsthand experience with them.

Wade Lippman
07-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Its a rubber band!

Shawn Christ
07-10-2016, 7:37 PM
Briefly considered it but decided to pass. I have no desire to wear it full-time and my wife doesn't mind at all if forget to put my wedding ring back on after working. Now if I could only remember to REMOVE it every time I go into the shop...

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-10-2016, 10:13 PM
No firsthand experience with them, but have seen the metallic ones that look a bit more realistic. (Saferingz) Just last week, a friend of mine forgot to take off his band while doing something with gloves on, fell and broke his pinky finger. The ring finger swelled up immediately. The ER doctors felt the swelling would go down. It didn't. He had to have his 38 year old wedding band cut off.

I am definitely considering trying these. I take my ring off while doing chores and there have been a few times where I forgot to put it back on. I have felt horrible on Date Night and we are out to dinner and I don't have my ring on. To me, it's a sign of respect to my LOML to be seen with it on.

Steve Peterson
07-11-2016, 10:11 AM
No firsthand experience with them, but have seen the metallic ones that look a bit more realistic. (Saferingz) Just last week, a friend of mine forgot to take off his band while doing something with gloves on, fell and broke his pinky finger. The ring finger swelled up immediately. The ER doctors felt the swelling would go down. It didn't. He had to have his 38 year old wedding band cut off.

I am definitely considering trying these. I take my ring off while doing chores and there have been a few times where I forgot to put it back on. I have felt horrible on Date Night and we are out to dinner and I don't have my ring on. To me, it's a sign of respect to my LOML to be seen with it on.

I agree with Mike. I know the risks, but my ring stays on nearly all the time.

Steve

Erik Loza
07-11-2016, 3:12 PM
I take my metal wedding ring off any time I'm working with tools. And my wristwatch. I'm sure many folks do but I've never felt safe having metal on my hands/wrists.

Erik

Jim Koepke
07-11-2016, 3:42 PM
When I was doing a lot of electrical work my ring would come off.

At one time my fingers got too big for my wedding band. After getting it off with some soap and effort I traded it for a larger one. As it was a hazard at work it had to come off to often.

My wife and I decided a ring on our finger is not what makes us love each other. We have both been without a wedding ring for 20 years or more.

My wife likes to wear rings at times. She wears a lot of various rings, none of which is a wedding ring.

It is kind of fun seeing young folks gawking at us holding hands with no idea we are married.

jtk

paul cottingham
07-11-2016, 11:24 PM
My ring stays on. I am mostly a Neander now, so it's pretty safe. I never wore any kind of jewelry before I got married, so once the ring went on, I just leave it there, otherwise I will forget it somewhere, as putting one on and off has never been a habit of any kind for me. As my brain injury worsens, the chances of losing it increases, so I just leave it on.

If I was going to do something really dangerous, I would tape it, like they do in hospitals.

Dave Anderson NH
07-12-2016, 9:48 AM
I'm with Jim on this one. Neither Sue nor I wear wedding rings. I lost mine while helping a woodworking friend build a new shop after his burned down due to BLO spontaneous combustion. Sue lost hers when she took it off playing golf. We never bothered to replace them. WE know we are married as does family and friends and frankly that's all that matters to us. Like Jim we also almost always are holding hands when we are out.

John Conklin
07-28-2016, 9:11 AM
I ended up buying one from a company called Groove Life. I've only had it a week, but so far I really like it. It's thin and soft making it practically disappear on your finger. One thing that I was worried about was moisture staying under the band and irritating the skin, but that has not been a problem. There is also no pinch like with a metal ring when twisting clamp handles. The other thing that I liked about this company is that just about no matter what happens to the ring they will replace it for at most a $6 shipping charge.

I'm not shilling for the company, just pleased with their product.

Robert Delhommer Sr
07-28-2016, 10:53 AM
I wore mine for abt. 40 years till it was so tight I was lucky to get it off without cutting it. I was going to get it enlarged but it got lost. For our 50 anniversary my wife wanted me to get another ring & I told her I did not need a ring to tell me I am happily married & I surely do not care what anyone else thinks, so the idea was dropped.