PDA

View Full Version : MM 16 and 1in carbide blades

Robin Frierson
07-06-2016, 7:21 PM
Trying to decide between getting a MM 16 or MM 20. I used to own the 20, it was a 2002 model I think and loved it. But now my shop is much smaller so every inch counts. Plus wouldn't mind saving $1150. Got plenty of ceiling height so height is not an issue.

So wondering if I can get away with the 16. Concerned about turning the 1in carbide on the smaller wheel. Years back I recall Lenox recommended larger wheels...and some reported premature failure of their blades on the smaller wheel. But now I have heard that problem is past and you can get good blade life on the 16. What does the board say?

Bruce Page
07-06-2016, 7:33 PM
Bigger is better. That said, I run a 1" Lenox Tri-Master on my MM16 without problem. I ALWAYS relieve the blade tension when not in use.

Erik Loza
07-06-2016, 7:37 PM
Never had a problem running a 1" Tri-Master or Woodmaster CT on the MM16. IMO, the "blade fatigue" thing was/is an internet myth. I've sold hundreds of Lenox carbides to MM16 owners over the years and have yet to hear of one cracking or whatever it was supposed to do. Bad welds, yes, cracks at the gullets? Nope. As Bruce said, I always de-tension after use.

Erik

David Kumm
07-06-2016, 8:10 PM
I had problems with Trimaster 1" on an 18" saw but that was 15+ years ago. My understanding is as yours that Lenox modified the steel in their bands to eliminate the problem about that time. The MM 16 has a stout frame which to me is more important than the wheel diameter. Since I began tensioning blades so they don't spin the back bearing, my blades last much longer. tough to be sure that is the scientific reason but it works for me. Dave

Erik Loza
07-06-2016, 9:07 PM
Dave, I heard that too but never could get a Lenox rep to confirm it. It is possible but I could never get a straight answer from anyone. One thing I will say is that they (Lenox) sort of put up the stone wall the moment you mention "wood" in conjuction with a Tri-Master. I think they really don't want to engage you if you tell them it's going to be used on wood rather than metal. At least that was the vibe I got.

Erik

David Kumm
07-06-2016, 10:07 PM
I agree. Trimasters are not what Lenox thinks to be a wood blade. I had cracks in the gullets in the old days but have been running the same blade on my Oliver for about 5 years now. Dave

jerry cousins
07-07-2016, 10:26 AM
i run a 1" resaw king on an older generation mm16 - early on they were not recommended because the steel band was not flexible enough for the smaller diameter wheels - then they came up with a different steel for the band and i have not had any problems with cracking - i do de-tension the blade
jerry