PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Nicholson saw files NOS

Dave Beauchesne
07-06-2016, 1:57 PM
Well, I think I got lucky ( again ) yesterday. I bought a small hoard of NOS ' Made in Canada Nicholson' files yesterday. It appears there are about 100 -150 triangle files from 4" double extra slim to 6" ( unknown ). Also about 100 flat files from 2 boxes of Tungsten Ignition point files, a couple boxes of Auger files ( 1/3 round / flat face ) and some boxes of flat files. Most are in boxes, and all are wrapped in the original paper packaging. They are all unused as far as I can tell - some minor staining spots, no red rust. I have to inventory the lot, as well, there are several NOS leather tipped socket chisel handles that look to big for Stanley 750s say. I guess I have a couple questions I assume they are 50 plus years old- anyone shed light on Nicholson Canada ?? Quality?? Has anyone used the Canadian files??
My grandpa used to file saws, and he used to say he got about 2-1/2 saws to a file. That was just touching up / regular use mind you. He filed a couple hundred a year. I imagine he used Canadian Nicholsons.
Thanks; Dave B

Patrick Chase
07-06-2016, 2:38 PM
Your offer to sell is a TOS violation, though as a contributor you're entitled to use the classifieds so you might want to start a thread there and edit this one to refer to it.

Dave Beauchesne
07-06-2016, 3:49 PM
Sorry for the violation. I knew it was skirting things a bit; more fishing for info as to the quality of the Canadian product.
Edited the original post to omit any selling reference.

Normand Leblanc
07-06-2016, 3:55 PM
I own a lot of old Nicholson made in Canada triangular files. They are better than anything that I've bought from stores over the years.

george wilson
07-06-2016, 10:24 PM
I was PLEASED GREATLY lately,when I took a chance and bought a Mexican Nicholson file at Home Despot.(:)) It was properly hardened,and seems in all ways to now be a fine quality file. The 12 soft ones I got a few years ago were soft enough to easily file! That seems to now have been cured. I worry about getting an older NOS file that is still soft. But,the new ones are excellent!! Very important to me as I use files a lot,and have spent thousands of hours filing away goodly amounts of metal with them,especially before I had machinery. But,still always to detail and finish (for polishing) finely detailed work.

The company that owns Nicholson apparently have listened to me and others about the soft files they were turning out due to defective hardening processes. No telling how many are still out there.

If you do get a soft one,return it and select another file. Home Depot will honor your purchase warranty. Save the receipt till the file can be tested.

Mike Brady
07-06-2016, 10:45 PM
George, I did get a bad file in the new green Nicholson packaging. It was a 6" x-slim and would not touch an old Disston No. 12 saw. I got out a different file from my old stock and it worked just fine. On another forum the comment was made that they may have repackaged some old stock in the new wrapper. In general though, people are liking the newer Nicholsons.

george wilson
07-07-2016, 8:11 AM
As I mentioned,I am still concerned about getting a NOS SOFT Mexican file. Hopefully those will gradually all be gone. All I can advise is save the receipt and return the soft file.