PDA

View Full Version : Newb first attempt not so good

Steve Mathews
07-05-2016, 10:36 PM
My first attempt at woodturning today was not all that successful. As a guide I'm using the structured exercises from Fundamentals of Woodturning by Mike Darlow. The goals for today were to rough out a rectangular blank with a roughing gouge and to create beads using a skew chisel. I was somewhat successful with the roughing gouge but the finish could've been better. That should come with more practice. I unknowingly made it easier on myself by cutting off the corners of the blank on a table saw. In hindsight I should've left them square to see what it would be like in that form. Things immediately went downhill with the skew chisel. I was able to make the initial marking and plunge cut with the long end of the skew but when trying to create a radius for the bead the tool caught an edge and spiraled down the spindle. I was forewarned about this in the book but it happened anyway. After making a few more attempts I gave up for the day. I'll get back to trying to form some beads as soon as I can come up with a different plan of attack. Here's a video of what I was trying to accomplish with the skew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqAOgJgNbtU

This has been my first attempt at the lathe. Here are some initial reactions to the effort.

Woodturning is a lot messier than anticipated. I see now why others were asking about dust curtains, respirators and air filtration systems. Shirts with pockets are not a good idea. Maybe an apron of some sort is in order.

No surprise here but all of the videos I've seen make wood turning look much easier than it is.

Although the structured exercises in Darlow's book are well laid out with nice photos the writing however is somewhat confusing, at least to me. I think that's in part due to Darlow not being from the US.

Dexter Harris
07-05-2016, 10:48 PM
Great post. Welcome to the "Vortex".

Brian Kent
07-06-2016, 12:02 AM
My dad made jazz drumming look a lot easier than is actually was the first time I hit a drum. But it was worth starting.

John K Jordan
07-06-2016, 12:48 AM
No surprise here but all of the videos I've seen make wood turning look much easier than it is.

Ha! That is EXACTLY what a recent student told me. I've heard that many times. Another said, "Man, this is SO much harder than what I ever imagined." Just yesterday a teen girl said "This is impossible!" That's the problem with watching some of the videos or even someone demonstrating - they make everything look so easy. BTW, the two students mentioned above had things well under control by the end of the first day! The girl had to stop and will pick up again next time she comes.

But regardless of how hard it seems now, in a very short time you will be amazed at how easy things get! (My classical piano teacher always said everything's easy once you know how!)

If possible, skip the videos and get a real person to stand next to you at the lathe and tell you what to do and what not to do! I did all my initial learning from the books but it probably would have been quicker with a mentor. However, if I had just the instructor, I'm not sure it would have been BETTER, since from any one person you will learn that person's way of doing things and maybe start some bad habits. (and some teachers are great turners and some...) When starting out, I constantly referred to several books to get different perspectives on the same concept. If I didn't quite understand what the first guy was saying, I might understand the second. Later when I found a club everything made a lot of sense.

I like Darlow since he is technical and visual. He explains the "why" in great detail. If some of his diagrams and things are too tedious, just skip them.

BTW, when I start a new student, I tend to do this (using "him" generically):

- have him mount a 2" spindle blank of soft wood already turned round
(postpone the more violent roughing until we understand the basics of the tool bevel and edge)
- demonstrate a planing cut
- hand him a skew and show how to hold it against the wood with the lathe off, Anchor/Bevel/Cut
- turn the lathe by hand and let him see what it takes to make shavings
- turn the lathe on slow and let him practice planing cuts for a while
- mount a square spindle blank and teach the roughing gouge
- plane the newly roughed blank to a nice cylinder with the skew
- learn v-grooves (I built an oversized wooden skew and blank model to illustrate)
- practice many v-grooves
- learn some beads and practice as Darlow shows
- teach coves with the spindle gouge
- practice coves and beads with the spindle gouge
- make something fun

I know there are a bunch of people who are horrified at the idea of learning the skew first. However, the skew remains the best way to learn the very basics of making shavings on the lathe. It will also teach you the fine control needed to excel with all the lathe tools (except what I call the blunt force carbide tools) and you will be the envy of all the woodturners!

I think the hardest thing about turning beads with the skew is coordinating the rotation of the handle with the other movements - the sideways slide, handle lift, and thrust. Don't forget, the experts use the skew - if they can do it, you can too. But if it gets too frustrating, don't kill yourself - skip it for now and learn to turn beads with the spindle gouge then come back to the skew later.

[ The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of the management. :-) ]

Jump in the car and drive to Tennessee. Spend a couple of days at the lathe! I keep several lathes just waiting for visitors to come and play.

JKJ

Brice Rogers
07-06-2016, 12:54 AM
There are tons of videos on Youtube that will help you. Many are good. Some are so-so. But all will help.

There is a definite learning curve with wood turning. It takes a lot of practice, watching videos, watching and working with skilled woodturners, muscle memory, etc..

When I first started woodturning, my TBMC (time between MAJOR catches was measured in minutes). A couple required a bandage (or worse). Now my TBMC is really really long (like over a year). Even my TBC (time between catches - - minor) is probably measured in weeks. So, I consider that I'm improving but I know that I'm not there yet. But I keep getting better.

Give it some time and you'll be fine. Don't give up early.

Jamie Straw
07-06-2016, 1:40 AM
I wish I could remember who it was -- will try to look it up -- but one of the demonstrators on YouTube introduced his skew video by explaining that the only reason we're afraid of skews is because we're told they're hard to use and scary. He starts his students out with the skew, and they do just fine. I'm working on become proficient with it -- favorite mentors for this are Allan Batty, John60Lucas, Dave Schweitzer, but there are many others I'm sure. As a near-beginner, what's helped most is using a radius skew, being very observant of the "sweet spot", and really, really taking my time. Oh, and breathing -- breathe in, breathe out, in, out:D Eric Loftstrom demo'd at our club meeting Wednesday night, all about the skew. He'll be releasing a DVD set fairly soon that focuses on it's use. He's a great teacher, so it should be good. Unfortunately, I don't think he has any video on YT.

Roger Chandler
07-06-2016, 7:01 AM
Steve, working with the skew is admirable, and is an important skill to learn......probably the hardest of all the turning gouges to learn. That being said, if you want to move quickly along, then use a spindle gouge or a bowl gouge and try to make something simple or a few things. This will allow you to get comfortable with putting tools to spinning wood. Then you can go back to the skew when comfortable with some tool control. One of the great secrets and you will find it is an "ah-ha" moment is when you learn to ride the bevel. That is hardest on a skew, as floating part of the bevel is actually what it needed, and the correct part at that, so as to avoid the catches, skates, spirals, and general bad temperment of the skew in unskilled hands.

Having a mentor is priceless, and will allow you to cut the learning curve by light years, so join a club or get one on one instruction from a seasoned turner. Good luck, and don't give up on it!!!

Aaron Craven
07-06-2016, 9:29 AM
I can't say that I agree that it's wrong to call the skew "hard" to learn. It can be very challenging.

But... I do agree that it's probably the best tool to learn right away. I am only now learning it and the lessons you learn with it transfer to other tools very readily -- I wish I'd spend more time with it to begin with. And as spectacular as a catch with the skew can feel, it's actually one of the safest tools to use because it tends to get pushed away from the piece when something goes wrong.

That said, there's nothing wrong with taking a break from it to use something easier (try out the spindle roughing gouge and some scrapers or even carbide "easy" tools) to make something you can put on a shelf and be proud of. Whatever you do, make sure you're having (safe) fun with it!

The videos always make me feel like a bumbling fool (I guess maybe I am), but they're a great way to learn and as you practice and see.

George Conklin
07-06-2016, 11:50 AM
This has been my first attempt at the lathe. Here are some initial reactions to the effort.

Woodturning is a lot messier than anticipated. I see now why others were asking about dust curtains, respirators and air filtration systems. Shirts with pockets are not a good idea. Maybe an apron of some sort is in order.

Hah! Sorry, but that made me laugh out loud!:D

Jon Shank
07-06-2016, 7:13 PM
Yeah Steve, it just takes some more practice to get comfortable with it. And like has been said already it is challenging so if you get frustrated just set it aside for a bit and do something your more comfortable with. One of the things I really enjoy and get no tension from is just grabbing a green branch and using the roughing gouge to turn it into a cylinder. Just good cathartic fun, I find it both exciting from the bumpiness and relaxing because it's a tool I'm very comfortable with, so I know what it's going to do. Just a thought.

And if it makes you feel better, the very first time I used the skew I ran down a wooden cylinder 8 or 10 inches and off the end into the head stock! Had to go change my drawers and took a while to get my nerve back, which was handy since it took a while to regrind the skew to get a tip on it again. Just take your time, you'll get it.

Jon

Aaron Craven
07-07-2016, 8:13 AM
...I ran down a wooden cylinder 8 or 10 inches and off the end into the head stock! ...

Yikes! :eek:

One of my scariest beginner moments was when my glove got caught between the work piece and the tool rest. It just gave it a firm tug, but I immediately learned my lesson and took them off. Now I only wear tight fitting fingerless gloves and only if I absolutely have to (generally due to the shavings being too hot).

By the way, Steve.. you're wearing a face shield, right?