PDA

View Full Version : creating cutouts of tools for toolbox

john snapp
07-05-2016, 7:37 PM
I would like to make cut outs in sheet foam for a tool box that will hold the tools. What I would like to do is scan my tools and create a outline in CorelDraw that I can then cut out on my laser engraver. Here is what I have:

Universal M300 laser cutter
Epson 1680 scanner with transparency adapter
CorelDraw

Anyone have suggestions on how to easily make a scanned image and create an outline of the tool to then cut out in the foam. I have been playing with the outline trace with limited success. I think my real trouble is figuring out how to scan the image. I believe my best scan so far was to use the transparency adapter. This created a black background and the silver tool.

Bert Kemp
07-05-2016, 7:49 PM
I scan in photo mode then import to corel and use Bspline to hand trace the image, then set to the correct size and import to laser to cut. hope that helps
edit: also if your scanner cover is open to far I put a dark towel over the scanner to keep out light:D

I would like to make cut outs in sheet foam for a tool box that will hold the tools. What I would like to do is scan my tools and create a outline in CorelDraw that I can then cut out on my laser engraver. Here is what I have:

Universal M300 laser cutter
Epson 1680 scanner with transparency adapter
CorelDraw

Anyone have suggestions on how to easily make a scanned image and create an outline of the tool to then cut out in the foam. I have been playing with the outline trace with limited success. I think my real trouble is figuring out how to scan the image. I believe my best scan so far was to use the transparency adapter. This created a black background and the silver tool.

Gary Hair
07-05-2016, 8:31 PM
Use a fine point sharpie and trace the tools on a white piece of paper then scan the paper. The scanner will give you a much better image that way and auto trace will do a much better job. Or, heat up the tools to red hot and drop them on the foam- instant cutout!

Bert Kemp
07-05-2016, 8:54 PM
No No don't heat your tools, bad bad for the tools:eek:

Use a fine point sharpie and trace the tools on a white piece of paper then scan the paper. The scanner will give you a much better image that way and auto trace will do a much better job. Or, heat up the tools to red hot and drop them on the foam- instant cutout!

Matt McCoy
07-05-2016, 10:22 PM
No No don't heat your tools, bad bad for the tools:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE

Scott Marquez
07-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Can you take a photo on a white background, convert to black and white, then use your auto trace.
Scott

Jeff Body
07-05-2016, 11:27 PM
Lay them in the tool box the way you want them.
Take a picture from directly above the tool box drawer and then scale the picture in you design software.
From there all you have to do is trace around the tools and you have a perfect layout.

Doug Griffith
07-06-2016, 9:55 AM

For those without a scanner, place a ruler in the photo next to the tracing and take a straight on photo. Use the ruler to scale the tracing properly when digitizing.

Gary Hair
07-06-2016, 10:33 AM
For those without a scanner, place a ruler in the photo next to the tracing and take a straight on photo. Use the ruler to scale the tracing properly when digitizing.

I'd still trace with a sharpie and then take a photo. Considering the thickness of the tools and parallax effect, etc., you'll get much better results with a flat piece of paper - graph paper would work great for sizing.

Doug Griffith
07-06-2016, 10:48 AM
I'd still trace with a sharpie and then take a photo. Considering the thickness of the tools and parallax effect, etc., you'll get much better results with a flat piece of paper - graph paper would work great for sizing.

Me too. I'd place a ruler next to the tracing when taking a photo of the tracing. Or just scan the tracing.

Gary Hair
07-06-2016, 12:04 PM
I'd place a ruler next to the tracing when taking a photo of the tracing

I've taken pics where they aren't proportional in X and Y, that's why I'd use graph paper so you could measure and scale exactly to size in X and Y.

Glen Monaghan
07-06-2016, 7:04 PM
Lay them in the tool box the way you want them.
Take a picture from directly above the tool box drawer and then scale the picture in you design software.
From there all you have to do is trace around the tools and you have a perfect layout.

This works better with a "long" (telephoto end of the spectrum, such as 135 mm) than with a shorter lens (such as 25-30 mm), but also may mean that you have to back off a ways to get the picture.