PDA

View Full Version : BIG disk sander - questions

Olaf Vogel
07-05-2016, 5:27 PM
I'm primarily a wood turner, but dabble in other stuff such as coffee tables.
For a long time I've looked for a nice big disc sander. Without the room for a double disc monster and not a whole lot of budget, its been tough.

Until last month!

I found a 32" disc sander, very basic, but its all I need - almost...hence my questions.
Its just a 2" shaft, about 26" long, 2 very large babbitt bearings, am 8" flatbelt pulley, a 20" cast iron plate and a 32" spruce plywood disc mounted to the plate. (sorry, no pics yet).

This will be driven by a spare 3 hp, 3 ph motor and a spare VFD for starting and speed control.
The plywood is pretty hacked up and will be replaced with a birch ply disc. But only 30" in diameter, since that's what I can order more easily.

It will get mounted on a spare bench, so no cabinet will be required.
I'll also build a guard and dust port similar to this https://woodgears.ca/sander/disk_sander.html

What it does not have is a table, and I need to build is a table.
And before I make it too complicated and blow my brains out, this is where I could use advice.

1 - most sanders have a table at or close to the midpoint. But some allow the table to be raised or lowered.
Ex: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=5569
Whats the intended use for this? OK a larger area is open....

2 - Tilting table - unless I sand compound angles, is there any point? It makes the mechanism a lot more complicated. I will likely add a slot for a mitre gauge.

3 - the disc guard generally wraps around the top, but many leave open slots near the table, presumable so you can work off the edge of the table. Ex: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/14601-B.jpg

If anyone a good link to a DIY site, that would be great as well.

Olaf

David Kumm
07-05-2016, 8:48 PM
Table lowering is nice for two reasons. Changing disks, and allowing foe a greater range of use. Disk sanders are effective for less than 1/2 of the diameter since the center is barely moving. Using the bottom adds some length as the paper is traveling more horizontally and at a more even speed across the bottom. Dave

Kindt Collins Master sanders were the pick of the litter.340282

Bradley Gray
07-05-2016, 9:19 PM
FWIW around my area there are numerous old Frick circular sawmills. These are powered by a power unit via 2-4 v-belts - multi belt pulley on the motor with the belts directly on the flat belt pulley - they seem to track just fine.

Chris Fournier
07-05-2016, 10:19 PM
I would be very sceptical as to the usefulness of the plywood platen. Personally I'd remove it and go with the 20" disc. I use my General 100-5 disc quite a lot for metal and wood.

Olaf Vogel
07-05-2016, 11:43 PM
Using the bottom adds some length as the paper is traveling more horizontally and at a more even speed across the bottom. Dave

Kindt Collins Master sanders were the pick of the litter.

That makes sense. Thanks for pointing it out.
yes a Kindt Collins would be awesome....but i cant find one, fit one, or likely afford one? 😒

Olaf Vogel
07-05-2016, 11:45 PM
I would be very sceptical as to the usefulness of the plywood platen.

Apparently its been used that way for a very long time.
What would be your concern? Stiffness?

olaf