PDA

View Full Version : Adaptor size

Robert Willing
07-05-2016, 3:40 PM
I recently bought a supernova2 chuck and need and adaptor to go to 1 1/4 8tpi. I don't seam to get much help from Technatool or the supplier CPO. Does anyone know the thread size on the supernova2 or where I can get one. Any info would help at this point. The thread appears to be at least 1 1/2" in the chuck body.

Bob Bouis
07-05-2016, 3:42 PM
I don't know what the thread pitch is, but Amazon sells them made specifically for Nova chucks:

https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-ILNS-4-Inch-Thread-Adaptor/dp/B0064JJ746

Shawn Pachlhofer
07-05-2016, 4:03 PM
do you need an "adapter" to change from one spindle size to another?

or do you need an "insert" to mount your chuck on to your lathe?

If you need an adapter, I would contact Best Wood Tools

for an insert, contact the supplier of your choice and tell them you want an INSERT. According to Nova's website, you need either:

"ILNS" (insert L, 1 1/4 x 8 RH) - insert for lathes with reverse operations (this insert has a set screw that locks the chuck to the spindle)

or

"IYNS" (insert Y, 1 1/4 x 8 RH) - insert for lathes without reverse

both above are for right-hand (most common) lathe spindles.

Roger Chandler
07-05-2016, 4:10 PM
The Amazon link that Bob posted is what you need for the 1.25 X 8tpi spindle on the G0766 and any other lathe with the same spindle size. The adapter is made to screw into the chuck body of the Supernova2 chucks. I have 5 of them, and have the G0766 like you do, if I recall correctly Robert. The inside threads go on your spindle, and the outside fit into the chuck body of the SN2.

John K Jordan
07-05-2016, 5:05 PM
I recently bought a supernova2 chuck and need and adaptor to go to 1 1/4 8tpi. I don't seam to get much help from Technatool or the supplier CPO. Does anyone know the thread size on the supernova2 or where I can get one. Any info would help at this point. The thread appears to be at least 1 1/2" in the chuck body.

If you need the 1-1/4x8 insert, Woodcraft carries them. I bought my last two or three from Amazon where they were cheaper. I usually by the "L" but I do have some of the "Y" inserts and they work fine. These fit all three styles of Teknatool chucks I have including the SN2.

https://www.amazon.com/ILNS-INSERT-CHUCKS-LOCKING-SCREWS/dp/B019EO14KW

JKJ

Robert Willing
07-05-2016, 9:35 PM
Thanks all I ordered one from Amazon and Nova we'll see what falls out. I just find it strange that at Technatool and the supplier could not give a straight forward answer.

Doug Ladendorf
07-05-2016, 10:23 PM
The actual thread on Nova chucks is 1.5" 8tpi, which is the same as a Powermatic 90 and Conover lathe. However something about them is different, maybe the pitch. I tried on on my Conover lathe and it just didn't fit right, wouldn't screw on. No getting around using an insert.

John K Jordan
07-05-2016, 11:45 PM
... I just find it strange that at Technatool and the supplier could not give a straight forward answer.

I'm not surprised. I was looking for a particular type insert in Woodcraft once and I knew way more about them than the clerks in the store.

JKJ

Robert Willing
07-08-2016, 5:11 PM
My adapter came today from Amazon and it is a perfect fit. Thanks for the guidance all of you I should have posted here first where all the knowledge is! I used the supplied set screws to make this a dedicated insert. :)