PDA

View Full Version : Water borne epoxy

Wayne Lomman
07-05-2016, 6:49 AM
Just used water borne epoxy glue for the first time. I'm interested to hear any other experiences with using it. The jury is still out for me. Cheers

Wayne Lomman
07-06-2016, 6:47 AM
OK, I will assume no-one else has used it. I personally think it has performed OK although the cure time was longer than I hoped. It cleans up reasonably well with warm water. It promised to be thixotropic but they could work on that a fair bit more. It is quite a thick paste so it did not drip at all. Open time was about an hour. The ambient temperature was in the 10 - 12 degrees C range. It had almost zero odour. I would still use West for preference though. I like to make the viscosity suit the job as well as use straight resin at times. Cheers

Michael Weber
07-06-2016, 8:44 AM
Thanks for the report Wayne. I read your OP and was waiting for a reply since I have never heard of water based epoxy. Evidently few have which makes you an avant gard kind of adhesive guy:)

Kevin Jenness
07-06-2016, 9:07 AM
Michael, what product are you using and why? When I search for "waterborne epoxy" the results overwhelmingly point to coatings rather than adhesives. One reason I like to use West System and similar marine epoxies is because (I believe) they are free of solvents and do not shrink while curing. What advantage does the inclusion of water offer for an adhesive?

Jim Becker
07-06-2016, 10:12 AM
I've also never heard of this product...

Gerry Grzadzinski
07-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Never heard of it either.

Wayne Lomman
07-06-2016, 11:30 PM
The brand was Techniglue. I didn't know it existed until the supplier sent it to me to try when I was expecting to use West. Cheers

Brad Shipton
07-07-2016, 2:00 AM
Seems to be an Australian product that I have not seen in Canada. http://atlcomposites.com.au/icart/products/3/images/main/Techniglue%20R60.pdf West distributes it in Australia, but I do not see it on their website in the US.

It does not seem that drastically different from West from this discussion at a woodwork group in Australia. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/epoxy-techniglue-versus-west-systems-51322

Wayne Lomman
07-07-2016, 7:02 AM
About the only advantage I can think of is that you can clean up with warm water. I am going to have a chat with the rep to find out some background and give them my feedback. I am a believer in civilized feedback to suppliers even if it is negative. If no-one gives feedback, how do they otherwise know what to improve? It's also the way I develop relationships with suppliers which means I get access to stuff they don't let everyone have. I will let you all know what I find out. Cheers