PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Bunkbed Finding Pivot Point

Dennis Putnam
07-04-2016, 11:29 AM
I am in the process of building Murphy bunkbeds. One of the problems I am struggling with is how to determine the location of the pivot points so the platforms do not interfere with the top of the casing or the back wall when opening/closing them. Space is limited so I need to minimize the clearance. I thought about laying them on the floor with the casing and simply rotating them up. I can see how that will get me the lengthwise location but I don't see how to find the crosswise location. Has anyone done this and found a good methodology? TIA.

Happy 250th Birthday USA.

Lee Schierer
07-04-2016, 1:22 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by cross-wise and length-wise, but I would use some scrap pieces of equal dimensions to determine the pivots.

P.S. The U.S. is only 240 years old this year.

Dennis Putnam
07-04-2016, 2:36 PM
Lengthwise refers to what would be the height from the bottom of casing and crosswise refers to distance from the back of the casing to the front.

johnny means
07-04-2016, 8:11 PM
Have you tried drawing it up?

Dennis Putnam
07-05-2016, 8:04 AM
Indeed, I did. I have AutoCad. I have the the diagonal distances of the frame but will that give men the right offset dimensions (plus a clearance factor)? What I am trying to avoid, obviously, is ruining either or both the frame and casing by mis-locating the pivot point holes but not finding out until I have it all installed. I've always had a lot of trouble picturing 3D in my mind for some reason and is why I am lacking confidence using strictly dimensional solutions.

Paul Stoops
07-05-2016, 12:21 PM
If you have it drawn in AutoCAD, why can't you just use an end view with the bed framing drawn in and just rotate the framing in the view while trying various pivot points? The circular path of the outside of the framing should be very obvious, unless I am not understanding your problem.

Paul -- Auburn, WA

johnny means
07-06-2016, 12:52 AM
I know this may seem archaic, but I meant a full size layout on some scrap plywood or poster board. Nothing like seeing it in "real time".