PDA

View Full Version : Minimax 24

Thane Duncan
07-04-2016, 12:13 AM
Have a Minimax 24 bandsaw, motor is making a ticking sound. With blade off and isolated with machine stethoscope to the motor.
Does anyone have a Centauro Minimax 24 --mine is a 2006 model. Is there a replacement Baldor motor and does anyone know a model number?

Any other thoughts?? It has power and I guess it could be the bearing. Saw makes a lot more noise under load than it used to. Have replaced original guides with Carter. Blade new. Wheel bearings original.

TD

Rick Fisher
07-04-2016, 1:49 AM
Is it single phase or 3 phase ? I just ordered the same saw, its in a crate waiting .. they gave a choice of 7.5hp PH-3 or 4.8 hp PH-1 ..

I would get the motor looked at by a motor shop, if its a bearing, its a simple fix ..

Wayne Lomman
07-04-2016, 6:50 AM
Thane, as Rick said, take it to a rewind shop. It is most likely a bearing by the sound of it. Cheers

Nick Hicks
07-04-2016, 7:43 AM
If it's a 3 phase motor, it may be the bearing. If it's a single phase motor, there are a few extra components that can be the issue. Either case should be a simple fix. Cheers

Mike Hollingsworth
07-04-2016, 10:52 AM
mine is a 2006 model.

Mine's about that age. I replaced the capacitors last year.
The ones available from MM are too big for the box on top of the motor. (really)
Found ones on Amazon that fit in there just fine.

Thane Duncan
07-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Is it single phase or 3 phase ? I just ordered the same saw, its in a crate waiting .. they gave a choice of 7.5hp PH-3 or 4.8 hp PH-1 ..

I would get the motor looked at by a motor shop, if its a bearing, its a simple fix ..

Single phase motor

Thane Duncan
07-04-2016, 10:59 AM
It starts so I think capacitors are all right

Geoff Crimmins
07-04-2016, 2:56 PM
If it's a TEFC motor, it's also possible that something got bumped and the fan blades are hitting the housing. That will make a lot of noise and is usually a pretty easy repair.

--Geoff

Mike Heidrick
07-04-2016, 3:08 PM
2006? I'd use it till its an issue. Run it like you stole it.

Mike Hollingsworth
07-04-2016, 4:58 PM
Seems Erik has taken the weekend off.

Nick Hicks
07-04-2016, 6:31 PM
It starts so I think capacitors are all right

They sometimes don't fail completely - they can just lose some capacitance. Also the centrifugal switch that cuts the capacitor/starter winding out of the circuit at a certain RPM can fail. The extra components in single phase motors make them a little more failure prone than three phase motors. You can check the capacitor's value but you have to take it out of circuit first and be sure to earth the terminals - they can give you a nasty/lethal shock. Most motor start capacitors have a fairly high value so you would need a capacitance test meter that can handle the range. The electrical repair shop is probably the best option.

Jim Becker
07-04-2016, 7:18 PM
Seems Erik has taken the weekend off.
Yes, he was traveling and is now enjoying the holiday. :)

David Kumm
07-04-2016, 7:46 PM
I'd take it in to a motor guy. Metric frame motors can run hot and while they handle the temp just fine, the bearings tend to fail earlier. 2006 shouldn't be an issue but running a motor with bad bearings can lead to all sorts of problems, none cheap to repair. Dave

Erik Loza
07-05-2016, 5:19 PM
Have a Minimax 24 bandsaw, motor is making a ticking sound. With blade off and isolated with machine stethoscope to the motor.
Does anyone have a Centauro Minimax 24 --mine is a 2006 model. Is there a replacement Baldor motor and does anyone know a model number?

Any other thoughts?? It has power and I guess it could be the bearing. Saw makes a lot more noise under load than it used to. Have replaced original guides with Carter. Blade new. Wheel bearings original.

TD

Have you pulled the fan cover and confirmed that it isn't just the cooling fan making some noise? Depending in the mfr. of motor (probably Soga or CEG, in your case), the cooling fan is simply pressed onto the arbor with a thin metal ring. I have seen those come loose/be cock-eyed in the past and make a terrible racket.

As others have said, it "could" be the motor bearings but I will say that I can't remember the last time I jad a motor issue on of the Centauro bandsaws. That's the same motor Minimax uses across the entire bandsaw platform for any single-phase machine, which would be hundreds of bandsaws sold since you bought yours. Not saying that's not the issue in your case, just that it would be highly unusual. Also, as Dave pointed out, I would also use "it seems to be running hot" as any indicator. The Euro motors are all that way. Too hot to touch, in fact. If it's not the cooling fan, then I would take the motor to an motor shop and have them troubleshoot it. Best of luck.

Erik