PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 upgrade help

Jerry Bruette
07-03-2016, 7:16 PM
I've had two failed attempts at upgrading to Windows 10. The process goes pretty smooth until the installation and it gets to 76% and 4% installation for the settings part and the computer just stops doing anything. Doesn't matter how long I leave it sit, it won't finish the installation.

Any ideas about what the problem could be?

glenn bradley
07-03-2016, 8:07 PM
Did do you compatibility report you ran before the upgrade indicate any areas that might be a problem?

Jerry Bruette
07-03-2016, 8:09 PM
Pretty sure the compatibility report ran itself and said I was good to go

glenn bradley
07-03-2016, 8:20 PM
Mine indicated a video driver that required an upgrade. I did this before upgrading and it went smoothly. That being said we had one out of three supposedly identical machines at work fail. This turned out to be an update discrepancy on the failing unit.

The sort of thing you are experiencing can be problematic if you only have one internet connected device available and it is the one that is failing. Since you posted here I assume you have a web access device available. I would start here. (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-install-and-upgrade-top-solutions/a59d8a6a-18da-417b-93a6-7b6ab4d03896)

Alan Caro
07-03-2016, 9:00 PM
Jerry Bruette,

Especially, if your system is more than a couple of years old, the first thing to do is to upgrade the BIOS and the chipset drivers to the latest version. If you have a proprietary system- Dell or HP, the BIOS and chipset drivers can be downloaded from their support sites as little *.EXE programs that you can run in the existing Windows or from Windows 10 installation disk. It would also help to update the graphic card driver just to eliminate that as a cause of the installation hanging. The 76% installation is so far into the process, it does sound like it's stopping at a stage when drivers are being loaded. If you have an older PCI soundcard for example, it would also help to take it out during installation to eliminate a missing driver for it as a problem. Also, if your boot device is a RAID controller, PCIe SSD, or M.2, the drivers for that may need to be loaded in advance. I have a Dell Precision T5500 that boots from a PERC H310 RAID controller- newer than the system, and Windows 7 was very reluctant to load drive C:\ to it.

In summary, update the BIOS and peripherals drivers and simply the system to essentials. Once Windows 10 is running, it will be possible to add everything back in.

If you have further trouble, post the specification of your system.

Alan Caro

HP z420 > Xeon E5-1660 v2 / 32GB DDR3-1866 ECC / Quadro K4200 (4GB) / Samsung SM951 M.2 256GB / Intel 730 480GB / 2X Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB > Windows 7 Prof'l 64-bit
Dell Precision T5500 > 2X Xeon X5680 / 48GB DDR3-1333 ECC / Quadro K2200 / PERC H310 SAS/SATA / Samsung 840 240GB / WD RE4 1TB> Windows 7 Prof'l 64-bit

Chris Parks
07-03-2016, 9:40 PM
This a great site, all the drivers in one place http://driverzone.com

Tom M King
07-03-2016, 10:39 PM
I had a Dell computer that looked like it was letting the upgrade work, but found out it wouldn't allow it. If it's some brand of computer that is full of bloatware that you can't get rid of, like Dell, that might be the problem, and not one you can get around. I ended up cannibalizing that computer for parts, and bought my own OS.

Bruce Page
07-03-2016, 11:10 PM
I had a Dell computer that looked like it was letting the upgrade work, but found out it wouldn't allow it. If it's some brand of computer that is full of bloatware that you can't get rid of, like Dell, that might be the problem, and not one you can get around. I ended up cannibalizing that computer for parts, and bought my own OS.
That is exactly why my last 2 computers were built by a local computer shop and have zero bloatware. I will never buy a "commercial" computer again.

Curt Harms
07-04-2016, 7:27 AM
That is exactly why my last 2 computers were built by a local computer shop and have zero bloatware. I will never buy a "commercial" computer again.

And you likely got a 'business class' machine, better quality less proprietary components than the $249 box store specials.

glenn bradley
07-04-2016, 9:46 AM

Just format your hard drive and do a fresh install of the OS; presto, no more bloatware ;-)

Al Launier
07-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Just format your hard drive and do a fresh install of the OS; presto, no more bloatware ;-)

Wouldn't you lose all of your files if you did this? Should back up all files on a separate hard drive first, then reload after formating.

Tom M King
07-04-2016, 10:59 AM

The BIOS is not upgradable. I just bought a new motherboard, and put an end to my dealings with Dell.

glenn bradley
07-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Wouldn't you lose all of your files if you did this? Should back up all files on a separate hard drive first, then reload after formating.

Yes. You would have to have a viable installation disc for the OS. I was just offering a solution to bloatware issues. Revo Uninstaller also does a great job at removing all the Windoze cruft that gets left behind when running an author's uninstall program. If your machine is of an age or in a situation where BIOS upgrades are no longer offered then it is probably time to move on. I am not a platform guy and I am the last person you want to ask to fix your computer but, I have used them for the last 30-odd years in my career and you do pick up some things whether you like it or not ;-))