PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of the Corel upgrade window--

Kev Williams
07-03-2016, 6:51 PM
that shows up

every

single

time

I open Corel or Corel-paint lately?? Agghhh!!

Barry McFadden
07-04-2016, 9:10 AM
Upgrade???

Bill George
07-04-2016, 9:27 AM
Run msconfig and look for a Corel program or reference in the start up.

Kev Williams
07-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Upgrade???

THIS

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/corelup.jpg

I've searched for a reference to it to shut it off...
nothing in the startup--

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/corelup3.jpg

nothing in the processes other than the 2 programs proper-

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/corelup2.jpg

====================

This shows up on every computer here with Corel on it. The scary thing is, I've never registered a Corel product. 10 was borrowed from my BIL YEARS ago, x3 and x4 I bought download versions of but never registered them, and x4 was downloaded when x6 came out. How the hell do they even know I'm using Corel?

I'm beginning to hate the internet.

Bert Kemp
07-04-2016, 11:25 AM
I get the same thing every time to I just clic the x and move on :mad:

Kev Williams
07-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Ok, so I thought this might be easy--

Help \ Updates \ Settings \ uncheck 'notify me...' and 'automatically download...' which WERE checked...

Doesn't help :mad:

Bill George
07-04-2016, 2:38 PM
Run msconfig.exe
Un-check the Start Up items you don't want loaded Apply and exit, restart.

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-04-2016, 2:59 PM
For Corel Draw X6
Go into Help, Welcome Screen, select the Updates Tab, select Settings, uncheck "Notify me of available updates, news and tutorials." and X out of that pop-up, then X out of the Welcome Screen.

For Corel PaintShop Pro X4.
Go into Help, Corel Guide and click the "gears" and change the Message Preferences and uncheck "Keep me informed with the latest product related message." and then close out.

Sorry, no instructions for Corel Paint. I don't use that program.

Another option you can use is if you have firewall software installed, you can prevent Corel from accessing the internet.

Kev Williams
07-04-2016, 10:04 PM
As shown in my pics above, no Corel anything shows up in the start menu, and only the main programs show up in the running processes...

I've went into both help/welcome screen and help/updates tabs and turned everything off, then rebooted. And the upgrade screen still appears...

Bill George
07-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Kev, I think your showing Task Manager, Run msconfig.exe unless they have removed it in Win 10.
? Not all programs show in Task Manager.

Kev Williams
07-05-2016, 11:51 AM
I'm running 8.1, and this is what you get when you run msconfig...

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/msconfig.jpg

yet another reason I have absolutely no use for anything newer than XP :mad:

And FWIW, it doesn't show up in the startup menu on XP either...

Kev Williams
07-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks to the 'autoruns' and 'process explorer' programs from sysinternals.com-- I FOUND THE OFF BUTTON! :)

For those who haven't tried these programs, I highly recommend them. The "process explorer" shows you list of processes much like task manager, but with much more detail...

The "autoruns" program is wonderful, because it actually shows all the backgroound programs on your computer-- so much everything that I'd never be able to figure it all out!

But I WAS able to find what was running the upgrade window!

Here's what the basic window looks like-- note the blue highlighted line, THAT'S what runs the upgrade screen. Unchecked it, and now it's gone!

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/corelfix.jpg

Another nice feature, the "filter"-- just type in 'corel' and only corel items show...

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/corelfix2.jpg

--
as you can see, that was on my XP, I just need to run Autoruns on this 8.1 and that'll be that!

Both the process explorer and autoruns programs allow you to shut down processes and services simply by un-checking their box. GREAT for troubleshooting! You can also delete them if you find malware (or Norton, AOL, McAfee etc you don't want) but you can leave what you want just in case...
:)

Bill George
07-05-2016, 1:02 PM
Like I said above Task Manager does not show ALL the processes and there are ways to hide.

Thanks for posting the source of your fix, both I tried passed the Norton's test for downloading!!

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-05-2016, 6:25 PM
Thanks for posting the follow up Kev. One thing I failed to mention in my post was I'm running Windows 7 and so far, my solutions have worked. With each new version of Windows and Corel, they are more and more determined to push you to buy new products!

Mayo Pardo
07-07-2016, 7:47 PM
Another helpful place to check is to go to Start, Run, and type in Services.msc

In this area you can right click items and select properties, then you can disable, or let it run manually (only when needed will it run) or let it run automatically.

Just be careful what you change in there. I make a habit of writing down what I changed and then when rebooted if something that I need doesn't work any more, I can go back in and switch it back to how it was.
Blackviper settings recommendations are great for speeding up your computer and turning off unnecessary services.

Bill Cunningham
07-30-2016, 7:11 PM
It looked up on my win7pro for several days, I kept hitting the X and eventually it took the hint and it no longer shows up

Kev Williams
07-31-2016, 12:34 PM
Another helpful place to check is to go to Start, Run, and type in Services.msc.
Another reason I like the 'autoruns' program I showed above, msc services are included. And anything and everything in any list can be disabled temporarily for text purposes. And if you're about to disable something you shouldn't it won't let you!

Kev Williams
07-31-2016, 7:27 PM
OK, so I found out the "CDR Column Provider" as highlighted above didn't show up in my other computers, which has been a bit frustrating.

BUT! I found out the important part of that highlighted line is the "Windows XP Shell Extension" -- THAT is what drives the upgrade screen!

I found this out because for a week or so now, the Corel on my garage computer has been giving me fits with this "error 5 invalid call or arguement" error, EVERY time I alt-F6 to switch Corel jobs, open, or save a job. It's a Visual Basic error, which has to do with macro's... So I start checking the macros tab, there's no macros even saved.

I was about to completely un-install Corel and re-install it. And there, under the Corel X4 listing in the uninstall menu, is "Corel Shell Extension"...

So then I came here to look at the screen shots, noticed the 'shell extension' thing... And instead of uninstalling the program, I uninstalled the shell extension...

Voila! No more error 5!!! And no more upgrade screen! Which, now that I think about it, was gone just as the error screen started. The upgrade screen was the faulty macro running!

What REALLY pi**es me off, is that somehow, Corel put that shell extension program on my computers, ALL of them... even though I have NEVER registered ANY Corel programs...

Anyway, now I know what to look for...

OK, found it on another computer, thought I'd screen-shot it before I delete it-- UNINSTALLING.... with extreme prejudice