PDA

View Full Version : Begining My Woodturning Journey

Steve Mathews
07-03-2016, 5:44 PM
Finally, it looks like I have enough equipment assembled to begin my woodturning journey. So today I glued together some 2x4 and 2x6 construction lumber for my practice of turning spindles. I'll be following the structured exercises in Fundamentals of Woodturning by Mike Darlow, which is one of the books recommended by some forum members here. Can't wait to get started!

carl mesaros
07-03-2016, 6:32 PM
You are about to begin an incredible journey! I started turning in 2011 and can't say enough good about it.
Woodturning is the most rewarding aspect of woodworking that you can imagine. My advice is to read and scour the internet for videos and projects to complete. There is always something out there new to challenge you.
I'll also mention that it will get into your pocketbook! My advice here is buy the absolute best tools and equipment you can afford. You get what you pay for has been my experience.
Im on my 3rd lathe, my second sharpening system, and my third holding system (vacuum system). My next purchase after careful analysis will be a hollowing system.
If there is a woodturning club near you be sure to join. The old pros love to mentor new folks starting out.
Almost forgot, check out Reed Gray's aka Robo Hippy's videos and Captain Eddie Castelin's videos. They will teach you a lot and Captain Eddie is very entertaining.
Good luck and enjoy your new venture!

Brian Kent
07-03-2016, 9:11 PM
That is fantastic, Steve. Congratulations!

PS. A secret when you ask for advice here. If you have $1,000 to spend, begin with the words, "I need some on advice on how to spend $100." :)

John K Jordan
07-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Excellent! If you follow Darlow's exercises you are guaranteed to be an "expert" in short order. BTW, for spindle practice you can even use 2x pine cut into 2x2s without gluing. Beads and coves, beads and coves!

Hey, my favorite definition of an expert is someone who makes all his mistakes in private. :-) That definitely disqualifies me - I make mine right out in public then post them on facebook.

JKJ

Aaron Craven
07-06-2016, 9:05 AM
Awesome! Welcome to the vortex!