PDA

View Full Version : Black Film on Hands from Aluminum Ladder

Rich Riddle
07-03-2016, 4:30 PM
I keep getting a black film coating my hands from using an aluminum Werner ladder. Is there some sort of spray or something I can coat the aluminum to stop this? It's aggravating when painting.

Sam Murdoch
07-03-2016, 5:49 PM
Try wiping it down with acetone. That should remove the film. Could take quite a bit of wiping.

Lee Schierer
07-03-2016, 6:10 PM
I did a quick google search and found this suggestion for cleaning aluminum ladders.

"
Go to a marine/boat store (not Home Depot) and pick up some aluminum cleaner -used for cleaning pontoon hulls.
Pour the solution in a plastic cup/glass/whatever
Dip and brush it on with a paint brush... The brush will get into the tough to reach areas.
(on sections, the place where the rungs meet the outer rails are where the most black stuff gets on your hands.)
simply wash/rinse... you do NOT need to polish. The application does the work.

For those who want to get some other Home depot, Brasso, etc.. metal polishers or cleaners...
trust what I say, you will save yourself some frustration and disappointment."

The other suggestion I found was to wear cheap white cotton gloves.

I've never tried this so I don't know if it works or not. We'll let you be the guinea pig. :D

Robert Delhommer Sr
07-03-2016, 7:19 PM
Be sure to post your results as that is a fairly common problem.

Myk Rian
07-04-2016, 9:49 PM
Sell it and buy a fiberglass ladder.

Randy Red Bemont
07-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Sell it and buy a fiberglass ladder.

Exactly. I stay away from those aluminum ladders.

Red

Pat Barry
07-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Buy some gloves

Kev Williams
07-05-2016, 1:21 PM
That ladder should have been anodized or at least chem-filmed, either of which would prevent the black from bleeding out of the aluminum...

As for 'some sort of spray', pick up a couple of cans of Krylon 2x clear enamel. Give the thing a good wash with el-cheapo paint thinner, then give everywhere but where your feet step ONE nice coat. It's all you'll need to keep the black in... :)

That, or just paint it it what whatever you're using at the moment! ;)

Rich Riddle
07-06-2016, 12:05 AM
If they made fiberglass ladders that looked like Little Giant ladders, I would buy them. I have the Werner version.

Jerry Bruette
07-06-2016, 6:49 AM
Little giant does make a fiberglass ladder, dog deep to pay for it though.