PDA

View Full Version : Ultra portable jobsite saws bosch gts1031 or dewalt dw748?

Jared Sankovich
07-03-2016, 2:52 PM
Both are $379. The bosch seems more compact, the fence seems better on the dewalt.

Anyone have a opinions on either?

This saw is specifically for throwing in my truck for on site usage doing rips (under track saw size). Also I already have a grizzly 1023 cabinet saw in my shop for normal ts tasks.

Greg R Bradley
07-03-2016, 5:23 PM
I assume you mean the DWE7480, which is the newer version of the DW745.

And you are exactly right, the Bosch is more compact. The real reason I bought a Dewalt is the fence. Give me half a reason to buy anything other than Dewalt and I will, and I bought the Dewalt. The miter gauge could be a lot better but that's what you get on a jobsite saw. The fence was the reason I chose the Dewalt over all the other Jobsite saws including the Sawstop Jobsite Saw.

On an aside, the change from the DW745 to DWE7480 got you a much nicer riving knife with dust extraction that removes with a lever on the left side of the saw. You lost the ability to attach the out-feed option. I just finished cleaning up an office that has had my DWE7480 with the upper and lower dust ports connected to my Fein Turbo III and have to say I'm pretty impressed. I actually bought the DW7491RS, which is the DWE7480 with the rolling stand that has the saw sit on four stable legs when set up. I moved it in and out of my truck by myself pretty easily. Two people can rip a 4x8 sheet in half lengthwise as the fence will let you rip 24"+.

Mike Bigfoot
07-03-2016, 5:47 PM
Dewalt 745 all the way. I have one for jobsite work, its lite, compact & built dewalt tough. They may have better but the 745 is still very good. Homedepot.com has them for 299.00, atleast the link I just looked at. I use a dewalt stand, its perfect.

Jared Sankovich
07-03-2016, 9:19 PM
Thanks for the information. I really wanted a reason to go with the bosch, but couldn't quite get past the Dewalt fence. It would seem dewalt is the winner.

John Lankers
07-03-2016, 9:42 PM
As Greg said, the miter gauge on the Dewalt is junk but the rip fence more than makes up for it. If you do buy the Dewalt check the arbor for runout and check that the blade is parallel to the miter slots. It is a nice little saw esp. for small rips and when used with a sled.
I've seen it last week at one of the Big Boxes for $324 cdn., you might be able to find it cheaper where you are.

Sam Beagle
07-03-2016, 10:16 PM
I have both saws. Don't buy the Bosch. I hate it. The dewalt is twice the saw. Only issue is the plastic gear for raising the blade. Keep it lubed

Jared Sankovich
07-10-2016, 6:34 PM
Bought the Dewalt. So far so good.