PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Drill Press Info?

Kenny Sutphin
07-03-2016, 1:46 PM
I have a craftsman drill press mod# 103.23590 that I am trying to find replacement belts for since the originals are missing. Everything I have found on the internet and Sears says that this is a two pulley machine but mine has three pulleys. Does anyone know if this may be a rare machine and have any advice on how to find the proper belts?

Thanks,
Kenny

Jim Koepke
07-03-2016, 2:20 PM
I have a craftsman drill press mod# 103.23590 that I am trying to find replacement belts for since the originals are missing. Everything I have found on the internet and Sears says that this is a two pulley machine but mine has three pulleys. Does anyone know if this may be a rare machine and have any advice on how to find the proper belts?

Thanks,
Kenny

Have you tried Googling > how to determine v-belt size <? There are a lot of ways to figure what sizes you need. It shouldn't be difficult to find your belts at an automotive supply or a mower shop.

If it is a bench top model, you could probably take it with you to get the right fit with one trip.

jtk

Kenny Sutphin
07-03-2016, 3:04 PM
Thanks for the hint, I just found a belt length calculator on google. And your right I may just haul it to the parts store and let them Fit it.

Don Jarvie
07-03-2016, 4:29 PM
You can always get a piece of string and wrap it around the pulleys and measure the length. Then measure the size if the pulley where the belt would sit, probably 1/2 inch and but on at the auto part store.

Lee Schierer
07-03-2016, 6:17 PM
Is it possible that the third pulley is a tensioning pulley. The Sears parts site says the belt is a 37" belt for that model number. It also shows two stepped pulleys.

john taliaferro
07-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Mine has a center pulley mounted on the mast for more gear reduction , it just slips off . It came with one large belt and two small ones . I laughed at the 1/4 ''belt when i got it but that was 1980 and ive neaver used the extra one i got .

Troy Turner
07-07-2016, 7:45 AM
What about ordering a link/twist belt? Should be able to get a 48" then remove the links to "make" the size you need.

Kenny Sutphin
07-07-2016, 7:03 PM
The center pulley is cammed to tension the spindle drive belt and the motor mount is slotted to adjust motor belt.

Kenny Sutphin
07-07-2016, 7:10 PM
Do you remember the lengths for the two short belts? Are they the same length? I went to the parts store and tried several belts but it appears that the pulleys are not proportional for some reason. Meaning one belt length will not work on the top pulleys and the bottom pulleys. A 26" belt fits the top pulleys good but there isn't enough adjustment to tension the belt as it is moved down. Everything looks to be original but starting to wander if parts have been replaced over the years.

Kenny Sutphin
07-07-2016, 7:12 PM
The link belts hold up well at work! Do you know if one link = 1"?