PDA

View Full Version : 37" Tablesaw height? Too high?

John Sanford
07-03-2016, 2:18 AM
I am working on the design of my tablesaw "station", which will be based around my SawStop PCS. I have the sliding table on the left end, and would like the fence on the slider to clear my old workbench. To do so, I will need to raise the tablesaw's top from 34" to 37"

Has anybody worked with a saw with a table this high? If so, how has it worked out for you?

FYI: I'm 6" tall.

Why don't we have STRIKETHROUGH available??? grrr....

6 FEET tall. Not inches. :o

Randy Viellenave
07-03-2016, 3:40 AM
Being 6 inches tall I would say yes, that is way too high. My Ridgid is 37" high after the mobile base, and it feels comfortable to me. But then I am a whole bunch taller at 69 inches, so that makes sense...

Michelle Rich
07-03-2016, 4:33 AM
:-) :-) :-) :-)

Keith Weber
07-03-2016, 4:54 AM
Personal preference, but I like to be able to place the palm of my hands flat on a work surface, with my elbows having a relaxed, ever-so-slight bend in them. For me, that's about 36". Most of my work surfaces and flat-topped machines are at 36", so I can slide boards or sheets from one machine to the next, without having anything hang up on a lip. Obviously, you want a jointer lower than that, so you can properly exert downward pressure on a wide board when facing.

Mike Bigfoot
07-03-2016, 5:48 AM
I recently looked into this when I lifted my saw up from 34" all the way up to 36.5" ,I may go higher. It feels so much better now. I am 71" tall... This guy explaines it well in the video about table saw height....But just like everyone else, its his opinion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhYmpNcyUMU

Mike Cutler
07-03-2016, 6:07 AM
I'm 6'3" tall, so for me it would be no problem. My table saw is currently at about 37", and my work benches are at 39". I'd like to raise the saws to the level of the bench, but I haven't come up with a practical method yet to accomplish it.
When I built our kitchen and bathroom cabinets I raised the counter surfaces up to 37" from 34 1/2". Even my wife, whom is 5' 6", finds the higher counters more comfortable.
At 6' tall I don't think you'll have any issues with a tables saw surface 37" from the floor. You should be able to reach the back of the saw, flat footed, and not be in danger of contacting the blade at full height, while reaching.
It's easy enough to put one up on blocks and try it out first.

Larry Frank
07-03-2016, 7:46 AM
I raised my PCS about 5" and happy with it. I am about 6'2" and have a bad back and the height helps. Everyone will have a personal preference and one needs to try things out to find what works best.

Lee Schierer
07-03-2016, 8:18 AM
I'm 71" tall and my saw top is at 37" and I find it very comfortable.

Rich Riddle
07-03-2016, 8:52 AM
I have an Inca tabelsaw that's quite tall and like it for smaller cuts. You should have no problem with your saw considering your height.

Jim Dwight
07-03-2016, 8:58 AM
My saw and other tools and workbench are 38.25 inches tall. I like that height but the workbench could be shorter when I am using the track saw. I am 6'2" tall.

Matt Day
07-03-2016, 8:59 AM
My TS is on a 2x4 base which makes it 37.5" tall. I'm 6'1" and it's great. No way would I want it lower.

Jerome Stanek
07-03-2016, 9:16 AM
Is working at your kitchen counters comfortable for you mine are just over 36" tall When I installed pharmacy cabinets they were 40" tall

David Kumm
07-03-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm 5'11" and set my machines at 38-40". Mainly because my back doesn't like me to work slightly bent over. Dave

glenn bradley
07-03-2016, 10:40 AM
I recently looked into this when I lifted my saw up from 34" all the way up to 36.5" ,I may go higher. It feels so much better now. I am 71" tall... This guy explaines it well in the video about table saw height....But just like everyone else, its his opinion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhYmpNcyUMU

Mike and I are about the same height and made the same height adjustment on our saws, 36.5". My target height reflected the previous height of my old saw as most of my shop surfaces were made to match it.

lowell holmes
07-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Remember the old standard for workbench height?

It was stand with your hands and arms by your side, clench your knuckles, and that is the proper height for a work bench.

That's how I built mine and I'm happy with it.

As it so happens my Delta contractor's saw within 1/2" of the same height.

John Lankers
07-03-2016, 1:11 PM
Remember the old standard for workbench height?

It was stand with your hands and arms by your side, clench your knuckles, and that is the proper height for a work bench.

That's how I built mine and I'm happy with it.

As it so happens my Delta contractor's saw within 1/2" of the same height.

I remember that rule and it sure wouldn't work for me, I'd be sitting at the chiropractor every day of the week complaining about back issues. I'm 6' 2 1/2" tall without shoes and my knuckles are at 33 1/2", my tablesaw and the workbench are 37" high (and yes, I use primarily handtools on my bench), the bandsaw and the router table are 40" high and the drill press is even higher.
I suggest John jacks up his tablesaw to his proposed height and tries it out for a few days, every person's body is different and there is no one size fits all.

Walter Plummer
07-03-2016, 1:11 PM
I think if it is the only saw in your shop you will get used to it and it will not be a problem. In our shop we have two panel saws and the PM 66 that are 34" +/- that everyone uses 95% of the time. Then you walk over to our Oliver 260-D dual arbor 16" saw and it is 36 1/4" and it feels really high. What bothers me more is the fence on the Oliver is 4 1/4" tall and it feels like you have your hand between the blade and a wall.

Bruce Page
07-03-2016, 1:58 PM
I’m 6’3” my table saw is 35-1/2” as it sits on its mobile base. I could live easily with 37”. My bench is 42” tall and I find that height comfortable 95% of the time.
The knuckle rule would put my TS around 33”. I guess I have monkey arms. :rolleyes:

Jerome Stanek
07-03-2016, 3:02 PM
the shop I worked at had their saw on a built up base about 37" to the top of the table

Mike Cutler
07-03-2016, 4:08 PM
Is working at your kitchen counters comfortable for you mine are just over 36" tall When I installed pharmacy cabinets they were 40" tall

Yes they are more comfortable.
One thing I absolutely insisted on when re-doing the kitchen, is that I had to be more comfortable with the height, and the sink had to be big, and deep.

Martin Wasner
07-03-2016, 6:19 PM
I wouldn't, but the only reason is other people use my saws. People get used to things being a certain way and it could throw them off and create potential for a problem.
If you're the only one who uses it, I say go for it. I'm 6'-2" and I've thought about putting a lift under a table saw numerous times.

Matt Meiser
07-03-2016, 7:28 PM
Knock together a temporary base made from 2x4's on their side and put it up there to test if you personally like it.

Bruce Wrenn
07-03-2016, 9:48 PM
When Delta first made the Unisaw (34" height,) people were shorter than now. Anyone over fifty years of age and over 72" was considered tall in their youth. Now go by a junior high and look at height of boys.

Carl Hunsinger
07-03-2016, 10:50 PM
It's replies like these where we need a 'like' button on these forums:

... Being 6 inches tall I would say yes, that is way too high. My Ridgid is 37" high after the mobile base, and it feels comfortable to me. But then I am a whole bunch taller at 69 inches, so that makes sense...

Carl

Brad Shipton
07-03-2016, 11:14 PM
I am 5'-8" and my table has been at 37" for years. I have the same problem where my stock outfeed must pass over an existing table. Recently I re-organized my shop and the TS was back to 34" or so. It felt odd.

Rick Fisher
07-04-2016, 1:53 AM
Great thread. I decided to go 38.5" for a saw bench, and have been concerned its too high .. it seems comfortable, but makes me wonder. Lots of folks up that high .. perfect..

Marc Burt
12-20-2016, 9:20 AM
Thinking about doing the same thing. John, did you decide to lift yours? Brad, did you keep yours lower or raise it back up?

I've never really thought of mine. Wing too low but a construction goof up on my intended outfeed set up has me thinking about raising mine to match. I, stupidly, took the measurements of Grizzly's spec sheet rather than actually measuring my saw. (I was out of town and figured some sketchup would pass the time). Needless to say I designed the table to be 5" taller than my saw! So before I cut everything apart I thought it would be easier to raise the saw just to see.

Curt Harms
12-21-2016, 7:38 AM
Knock together a temporary base made from 2x4's on their side and put it up there to test if you personally like it.

That's what I was thinking. What suits one person may not suit another.

lowell holmes
12-21-2016, 10:06 AM
My Delta contractors saw is 35 1/2 inches from the floor. I've had the saw for 15 years. I am 6'-1"and have no problems with the height.
The saw is mounted on a portable base.

FWIW the base has not been moved in 15 years.

Lonnie Gallaher
12-21-2016, 1:15 PM
I think it is all about ergonomics. I am about 68" tall and my TS is 37." I find it uncomfortable in that when I am catching a piece on the far side of the saw I am on my tip toes. My waist line is below the TS top and that makes me feel uncomfortable reaching across the saw. My TS is scheduled for a height reduction surgery as soon as I can get some projects out of the way. It will end up in the 33-34 inch range.

It is all about how your body works.

Van Huskey
12-22-2016, 12:05 AM
I am 1.83 meters tall and my TS is comfortable at 91.5 cm, I could live with it fine plus or minus 3-4cm.

:D Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Ryan Jones
12-23-2016, 10:42 AM
My rigid table saw is 37" as well and it's comfortable for me, 5'8"

That said, my workbenches feel the best at 32-34"

Jason White
12-23-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm 6'4" and my tablesaw height is 40" -- perfect for me.

I am working on the design of my tablesaw "station", which will be based around my SawStop PCS. I have the sliding table on the left end, and would like the fence on the slider to clear my old workbench. To do so, I will need to raise the tablesaw's top from 34" to 37"

Has anybody worked with a saw with a table this high? If so, how has it worked out for you?

FYI: I'm 6" tall.

Why don't we have STRIKETHROUGH available??? grrr....

6 FEET tall. Not inches. :o

Greg Parrish
12-23-2016, 8:34 PM
My powermatic 66 is just a hair over 35" off the ground but I would love to find a way to raise it up a few inches. It would mean needing to raise the saw, outfeed table and the extension table.