PDA

View Full Version : Got lucky this morning

Dave Beauchesne
07-02-2016, 4:13 PM
Well, my first, not botched up Bedrock today for me!! You don't see many of these on the West Coast. A nice 5-1/2 - lots of Sweetheart blade, remnants of an orange frog to boot.
A late 1800's Coffin Smoother, " S. Dalpe, Roxton Pond Quebec ( Canada ) c/w tapered blade by the same maker and CB. Looked the maker up - he passed in 1895 - if anyone has more information, I would appreciate it.
Funky little tack (?) hammer with a long curved spike (?) , a SHARRATT ( London ) glass cutter with finely turned rosewood handle and a REAL diamond to do the etching, good number of older chisels, three older handsaws , etc. All in all, a great morning.

Dave Beauchesne
07-02-2016, 4:20 PM
A better shot from the side.

Dave Anderson NH
07-02-2016, 4:49 PM
Nice haul Dave. That thumbhole rip should clean up quite nicely. They often have badly chewed up handles. Yours looks like all it needs is a refinishing.

Stew Denton
07-02-2016, 5:36 PM
Dave,

Here's a +1 to what Dave (A.), said, and my own "ya did good" to boot!

Stew

Dave Beauchesne
07-02-2016, 5:37 PM
Nice haul Dave. That thumbhole rip should clean up quite nicely. They often have badly chewed up handles. Yours looks like all it needs is a refinishing.

Yes Dave..
The D-8 is basically a full saw plate as well, and the etch is salvageable. It is the older " 8 inside the D " version.
The Seller was in his 70's and said much of it was his Grandfathers: looks about correct.
Dave B

Dave Beauchesne
07-02-2016, 5:40 PM
Dave, Here's a +1 to what Dave (A.), said, and my own "ya did good" to boot! Stew

Thanks Stew

Jerry Olexa
07-02-2016, 5:48 PM
You did good...enjoy your haul!!

Jim Koepke
07-02-2016, 6:15 PM
Very gloat worthy find. Especially the Bedrock. At first sitting on that hunk of wood I mistook it for a transitional. Need to clean my glasses.

jtk

george wilson
07-02-2016, 7:17 PM
what is that LOOOOOONG "claw" on the small hammer?

Rob Paul
07-02-2016, 9:35 PM
Congrats, Looks like a few enjoyable hours of cleaning and fettling will get you some quality user tools

Some info on Sem Dalpe , ( and other Roxton Pond planemakers), here
http://outilsanciens.spacebar.ca/index_a.html
see page 7

Dave Beauchesne
07-02-2016, 10:46 PM
what is that LOOOOOONG "claw" on the small hammer?

I was hoping you could tell us George. No markings, face has been well used, certainly looks ' manufactured ' as the curve is very even.
Hmmmm. Stumped George on a hammer. Now I have to really wonder.

Dave Beauchesne
07-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Hammer photo

Dave Beauchesne
07-03-2016, 3:16 PM
Congrats, Looks like a few enjoyable hours of cleaning and fettling will get you some quality user tools Some info on Sem Dalpe , ( and other Roxton Pond planemakers), here http://outilsanciens.spacebar.ca/index_a.html see page 7

Thanks Rob. Will check it out.

Karl Andersson
07-05-2016, 9:49 AM
The hammer's head looks like a snow knocker for horse's hooves, but all of those I've seen are all metal so they could be left on the sleigh (i.e. no wooden handle). It is shaped like a miniature miner's pick hammer, so it was probably intended to do the same kind of action in the house - breaking up coal for the stove or maybe blocks of ice. The curve in the pick looks better made for chopping, grubbing and prying than for shaping (as in a tinner's or bodywork hammer). Railroad journal box hammers had a similar shape too, but were a bit larger, so maybe this was for clearing and packing smaller journals? Just some thoughts that might help you track it down.
nice haul
Karl

John Burrows
07-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Hi Dave

A bit of history about Roxton Pond and its planemakers.
http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.ca/2013/04/we-used-to-make-things-in-this-country_3.html

John

steven c newman
07-05-2016, 12:19 PM
The Stanley No. 45 and the wooden box it came in, was made at Roxton Pond, QUE. Canada. Main skate is also stamped with a "Made in Ca." along with that SW inside a heart.

Jim Koepke
07-05-2016, 12:24 PM
The Stanley No. 45 and the wooden box it came in, was made at Roxton Pond, QUE. Canada. Main skate is also stamped with a "Made in Ca." along with that SW inside a heart.

SWeeeeet!

jtk

Dave Beauchesne
07-06-2016, 1:38 PM
The hammer's head looks like a snow knocker for horse's hooves, but all of those I've seen are all metal so they could be left on the sleigh (i.e. no wooden handle). It is shaped like a miniature miner's pick hammer, so it was probably intended to do the same kind of action in the house - breaking up coal for the stove or maybe blocks of ice. The curve in the pick looks better made for chopping, grubbing and prying than for shaping (as in a tinner's or bodywork hammer). Railroad journal box hammers had a similar shape too, but were a bit larger, so maybe this was for clearing and packing smaller journals? Just some thoughts that might help you track it down. nice haul Karl

Karl:
Thanks for the info.
The flat face of the hammer is well used ( but not abused ) and the end of the ' pick ' spent look worn at all.
I will try to figure it out with your help.
Dave B

Chris Hachet
07-11-2016, 10:04 AM
You did good...would love to add a 5 1/2 to the fleet.

Chris

Dave Beauchesne
07-11-2016, 7:50 PM
You did good...would love to add a 5 1/2 to the fleet. Chris

I just need the time to get it refurbished- but a 5-1/2 Bedrock for $15.00 - a real steal.
I will get it going some day.

Jim Koepke
07-11-2016, 9:19 PM
I just need the time to get it refurbished- but a 5-1/2 Bedrock for $15.00 - a real steal.

$15.00?

New Duck!

What a deal, I would of likely ripped my pants trying to get my wallet out.

I would have bought it even though I do not need it as it would be a money making resell item. Either that or keep it and sell my Bailey #5-1/2.

jtk

bill howes
07-12-2016, 3:06 AM
Well, my first, not botched up Bedrock today for me!! You don't see many of these on the West Coast. A nice 5-1/2 - lots of Sweetheart blade, remnants of an orange frog to boot.
A late 1800's Coffin Smoother, " S. Dalpe, Roxton Pond Quebec ( Canada ) c/w tapered blade by the same maker and CB. Looked the maker up - he passed in 1895 - if anyone has more information, I would appreciate it.
Funky little tack (?) hammer with a long curved spike (?) , a SHARRATT ( London ) glass cutter with finely turned rosewood handle and a REAL diamond to do the etching, good number of older chisels, three older handsaws , etc. All in all, a great morning.

Sem Dalpe was the plane maker who ran a plane manufacturing enterprise in Roxton Pond that preceded the Stanley plant there.
See www.shhy.info/wordpress/.../Histoire_Stanley_Roxton-Pond1.pdf (http://www.shhy.info/wordpress/.../Histoire_Stanley_Roxton-Pond1.pdf) .
The original article is in French however with a name like Beauchesne that shouldn't be a problem

Nice finds
Bill

Ray Selinger
07-12-2016, 9:28 AM
I find my Roxton Pond planes to be generally better made than their American cousins, even the maroon #5 is square, flat and well fitting. If the #605 1/2 has a Canadian blade, it will have the month and year stamped on it. Finding any old hand tools around here is a bonus.

Dave Beauchesne
07-12-2016, 8:38 PM
Sem Dalpe was the plane maker who ran a plane manufacturing enterprise in Roxton Pond that preceded the Stanley plant there. See www.shhy.info/wordpress/.../Histoire_Stanley_Roxton-Pond1.pdf (http://www.shhy.info/wordpress/.../Histoire_Stanley_Roxton-Pond1.pdf) . The original article is in French however with a name like Beauchesne that shouldn't be a problem Nice finds Bill I wish I could ' parle Francais '. We get a few Canadian Stanley's here: I will tear this apart to look. The blade is a SW for sure.