PDA

View Full Version : Vega lathe

Bill Jobe
07-02-2016, 12:55 PM
I found a Vega model 1553 lathe for sale. The seller wants $850.
Anyone have knowledge/opinions of this lathe?
Made in USA. I didn't think we made anything here anymore.

Bill Jobe
07-02-2016, 1:04 PM
And a Jet model JWBS 10OS band saw for $250.

I need (want) a bigger lathe and I need (want) a band saw.
All I have now (that's usable) is a HF 10" mini lathe.

Brice Rogers
07-02-2016, 1:40 PM
Seems like a good price on a nice heavy duty lathe. They have a web site where you can get the specs.

Bill Jobe
07-02-2016, 5:30 PM
Just heard from seller. It's been sitting on a shipping pallet for 4 years. He does not know if or how it runs.
That seems like taking a pretty big risk. I'll only have that kind of money once.

Mark Greenbaum
07-02-2016, 6:50 PM
It retails new for $2500, so I'd think there's a deal to be had. Getting it to run is not an issue; very little goes bad on the lathe.

Brice Rogers
07-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Doesn't the Vega have a variable frequency drive? If you only have 120 VAC in your shop, you may want to double check the voltage on the plate. Or, alternatively, the AC plug is a telltail clue.

Bill Jobe
07-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Doesn't the Vega have a variable frequency drive? If you only have 120 VAC in your shop, you may want to double check the voltage on the plate. Or, alternatively, the AC plug is a telltail clue.

Here's the ad:

8" capacity;
15" swing over bed
53" bed
Basic variable speed drive system consists of a 2 step
pulley on the headstock spindle and a high quality variable
pitch pulley on the motor shaft; this combination yields a
high and low ranged with infinitely variable speeds in
each range from 320 to 3,400 RPM
Speed change is accomplished by simply raising or lowering the motor
1 HP motor; reverse rotation switch
Tailstock ram travel 2-1/2"
Turning tools included

We have grandkids staying with us today. I may contact the seller and see if I can take a look at it one day this week.
Seller doesn't seem to know much about it. He bought it from a friend who was moving away. Seller just hasn't gotten around to setting it up. In the meanwhile his reason for buying it is no longer a priority to him.

On a slightly different subject, I did some looking around online and found that many of Vega lathes are copy lathes. What does that mean?
I know in manufacturing there are what are called tracer lathes that have a templet that a system not all that unlike a dial indicator that travels along the templet or profile plate....whatever they are called, and the control system instructs the lathe to repeat the same path as many times as needed. That's probably the only kind of industrial lathe I have no experience with.
Is that what a copy lathe is?

The additional turning tools may be of better quality than what I have now and perhaps include ones I don't have so that may influence my decision to buy.

John Grace
07-03-2016, 2:10 PM
Yes...a 'copy' lathe is designed for repetition, turning a few hundred identical spindles, etc.

The price seems super competitive relative to new. Sitting in a packing crate...I assume that means inside a garage or warehouse of sorts. Nothing says you can't go and inspect it and check the 'outside' of the packaging and such. If the outside is in good order and you open the crate and see it's 'rust free' I would then be tempted but of course it's your money. Good luck...

larry senen
07-04-2016, 4:33 PM
If it's anywhere on the west coast I'll take it if you don't.

Grant Wilkinson
07-07-2016, 8:23 AM
I can't speak directly to that model Vega, but I can tell you that Randy at Vega is great at answering any and all questions about the lathes they build. I have the 2600 bowl lathe and haven't regretted my decision for a minute.

John Spitters
07-08-2016, 11:28 AM
From the ad discription this is a lathe with a mechanical reeves drive, then the price of $850 is high for this lathe.

Bill Jobe
07-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Better lathe/deal?

condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: Grizzly
model name / number: 1495

I have a Grizzly 1495 wood lathe that I have converted over to a variable speed DC motor with a DC Drive. This gives you speed control and forward & reverse. This is a very nice lathe and with the new equipment it gives you more control and better sanding capability. I also have the old equipment to put back on it if you would like. I also have a duplicator that will come with it. I am asking $750.00 OBO