PDA

View Full Version : Treadle Lathe

Russell Neyman
07-01-2016, 11:26 AM
One of our club members says he'd like to make a foot-powered treadle lathe. Anyone know of plans or articles on the subject? Or where to purchase the hardware?

John K Jordan
07-01-2016, 12:02 PM
One of our club members says he'd like to make a foot-powered treadle lathe. Anyone know of plans or articles on the subject? Or where to purchase the hardware?

He might want to do a Google search. I searched for "treadle lathe plans" and got pages of articles, videos, and books.

JKJ

Ralph Boumenot
07-01-2016, 1:59 PM
Bob Easton made a treadle lathe. You can find the blog posts at BobEaston dot com. He also was selling a PDF of all the lathe blog posts as one all inclusive package.

Brice Rogers
07-01-2016, 2:26 PM
I was at the Goodwill store a month ago and I saw the bottom of an old singer sewing machine. All cast iron and made to last a couple hundred years (or more). Nearly indestructable. I pushed on the treadle with my foot and the wheel started rotating. I recall that it had a ratchet mechanism so that the wheel only went in one direction as the treadle went back and forth. Of course, that is what you'd want on a working lathe. I recall that the price was pretty cheap - - something under either $50 or $75.

If the OP could find an old singer treadle mechanism, it would appear to be very easy to rig it up to drive a smaller lathe. I kind of recall that there was a big pulley for a vee belt. So there is pretty minor complexity to make this work.

I looked on Craig's list and saw eight local treadles ranging from about $85 to about 300. A few still had the sewing machine on the top but about half were only the lower portion (which is what you'd want). So I suspect that it would be pretty easy to pick up that assembly quite reasonably.

Jim Underwood
07-01-2016, 6:35 PM
Fine Woodworking has a pretty nice looking Treadle Lathe in their book Making and Modifying Machines.
I made the flywheel for it, but never got any further...

Allan Ferguson
07-01-2016, 7:33 PM
Check Roy Underhill, Plans for spring pole and treadle lathes. See Aug 2016 Popular Woodworking mag, 2 articles on the spring pole. Roy hosted "The Woodwright's Shop". I have his spring pole lathe stacked in a corner of my shop.

Marvin Hasenak
07-01-2016, 7:38 PM
I would do like Brice suggested, find an old treadle sewing machine base that is intact. Then look for an old iron, cast iron mini lathe that is in working order. A 6" by 18" is more than big enough for a treadle lathe. Anything bigger and you will probably need a bigger heavier flywheel to keep the momentum up.

Another option is to find an old Beaver lathe like this one. Small enough that the sewing machine wheel will have enough weight to keep up the momentum.

Ralph Lindberg
07-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Have him get in touch with me, I own one.

Glenn C Roberts
07-04-2016, 5:02 AM
Here's one in central New York for $600

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/tls/5634242477.html

Reed Gray
07-04-2016, 11:30 AM
A friend made one with an old sewing machine. You need a fly wheel. He ended up using a brake drum since it is round and balanced. The type of treadle on the sewing machine, for me left a lot to be desired in efficiency. The rocking back and forth with your ankle is not as good as the up and down type, or my preference would be a bicycle type. There was one of those set up at the AAW Symposium, but I don't have pictures.

robo hippy

Mark AJ Allen
07-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I was at the Goodwill store a month ago and I saw the bottom of an old singer sewing machine. All cast iron and made to last a couple hundred years (or more). Nearly indestructable. I pushed on the treadle with my foot and the wheel started rotating. I recall that it had a ratchet mechanism so that the wheel only went in one direction as the treadle went back and forth. Of course, that is what you'd want on a working lathe. I recall that the price was pretty cheap - - something under either $50 or $75.

If the OP could find an old singer treadle mechanism, it would appear to be very easy to rig it up to drive a smaller lathe. I kind of recall that there was a big pulley for a vee belt. So there is pretty minor complexity to make this work.

I looked on Craig's list and saw eight local treadles ranging from about $85 to about 300. A few still had the sewing machine on the top but about half were only the lower portion (which is what you'd want). So I suspect that it would be pretty easy to pick up that assembly quite reasonably.

Turning anything but pens on a lathe with a sewing machine treadle will be difficult; the flywheel doesn't have enough mass to keep the inertia through the cutting. I know, I've tried it. I suppose someone clever and skilled enough could add weight to the flywheel, or replace it with something else much heavier if they want to turn larger pieces.

Ralph Lindberg
07-04-2016, 11:36 AM