PDA

View Full Version : Won it this morning....

steven c newman
06-30-2016, 2:22 PM
And have to wait a week for it to arrive...but....a japanese Mortise chisel....12mm wide. $11.50 with Free Shipping...Top ring is a wee bit on the rusty side, handle with need cleaned up. Then comes the task of tuning it up.

I can look up the item number IF anyone wants it. Won't really know what I have, until a week from tomorrow (Friday) Just a heads up.

12mm = 1/2" right? well, maybe a smidge under ( 12.7mm = .50 cal.)

After building that Pine Rocker, figured I could make use of a wide mortise chisel.....we'll see...

edit; Item number is 162116309985 Not sure how to bring a picture from there to here...

Jim Koepke
06-30-2016, 3:21 PM
Now if there was one at 19mm I would be interested.

Not sure how to bring a picture from there to here...

Your auction didn't come up until I searched the # in completed listings. It must still be in that limbo period of ebay post auctionitiss.

It should be possible to click and drag an image and then upload it:

It's just that easy.

jtk

Brian Holcombe
06-30-2016, 4:36 PM
You have your work cut out for you on the back of that, someone worked the back by lifting it, so flattening will be a bear.

I would be tempted to leave the ura (hollow) and outside of the chisel untouched, just clean up the bevel, back, hoop and handle. That handle might need to be replaced.

steven c newman
06-30-2016, 8:49 PM
Have to wait about a week, before it gets here. When it does, I'll post more about it

Have no idea as to whom made it. He claims he got it over in Okinawa.....

Would this be a mortise chisel, or just a big firmer chisel?

May just sand the handle smooth, and see what it does look like. Maybe a coat of BLO....

Brian Holcombe
06-30-2016, 10:19 PM
Definetly looks like a mortise chisel. Normally the handles are pretty easy to remove, but that one may be frozen on there.

steven c newman
07-01-2016, 9:42 PM
Chisel is being shipped here from Torii Station....Okinawa. Might take a wee bit longer than normal.....

Brian Holcombe
07-02-2016, 10:24 AM
If it's going EMS it usually goes quickly as Japan Post is incredibly fast. US Customs is the only variable really, I've had stuff come through in 1/2 day and stuff that takes 5 weeks and it is entirely random. I used to think it was only synthetic sharpening stones that would get hung up, but then I had a set of gouges do the same.