PDA

View Full Version : WTB a larger Bandsaw

t peterson
09-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Posted this at Woodnet and got a couple of helpful responses. Thought I'd try here also. Thanks. THP

I'm looking to buy a 20" bandsaw for resawing and roughing bowl blanks. Looked at all the brands..Jet, Delta, Laguna, MM, etc. I was considering dropping down to an 18" and came across the Grizzly models...17", 18", 19" and 20". I do not want a 3P, either 2P or 1P is OK. The Griz prices are competitive but a bit confusing. Probably due to what package is included. I was impresed by the Griz G0566 21" single phase saw for $1,595. I called the local Woodcraft guy about these saws and he really bad-mouthed them....poor quality materials, workmanship. He even said they use rejected models from other companies. I appreciate any comments or recommendations from your experiences on either the Grizzly saws or any of the others I really need some assistance with this decision. Thanks. THP

Mike Cutler
09-23-2005, 12:13 PM
T. Peterson. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I believe that someone will ask you to use your full name, but welcome.
I have the Rikon 18" bandsaw that I purchased from Woodcraft. It's a good machine for the price, but I only use it for resawing. If I was going to use it for a multiple of functions, where changing blades and setup had to be done. I probably would have looked a bit more at the Minimax's, and Laguna's. Aggazani also makes a very nice Bandsaw.
It's a little disconcerting that your local Woodcraft badmouthed the Grizzly's. They get some pretty good reviews from a lot of folks here, and on other forums. I was waffling between the 19" heavyduty Griz' and the Rikon when I bought mine. The only thing that tipped the scales was that the Rikon was on sale, and I could load it into the back of my truck.
As I stated though, mine is only for resawing, so I was able to take a lot of time to set it up to perform this function and know that I won't be changing it over.
Good luck with whatever you decide upon, and pleased to meet ya'

Jeff Sudmeier
09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Mr, Peterson, welcome to the creek! You have joined a great forum. I hope that you will stick around after your purchase. I also came from Woodnet and have never looked back! :)

Anyway, as far as the Woodcraft rep bad mouthing them, I don't think I would set foot in that store again. Anyone that will trash a competitor like that is obviously trying to scare you. I don't buy from people who do that. Tell me calmly the scientific reasons why I should go with your tool, don't bash the others. :) I will make up my mind. The internet is a wonderful tool in this regard.

One question, will you be using this saw in a production capacity? If you are not, I would seriously consider the Grizzly. I currently have a Laguna Resaw master, but I am just "storing" it for my uncle. If I was to buy a large saw, I would seriously look at the grizzly saws. I love my Laguna, but it is a big bad saw, that is probably over kill for most users, including myself.

Rye Crane
09-23-2005, 1:50 PM
Dear T. Peterson,

I faced the same dilemma recently. It was between buying a MM 20 or MM 24. All the advice I received was to buy the largest one you can afford or fit into the shop. So I shortened up my wife's quilting budget for next year and bought the MM 24. From what I have heard the MM customer service is excellent and the saws are also well built. I spoke with Louis Iturra, he sells upgrades for bandsaws, etc. and is quite knowledgeable. He said to go with the MiniMax for the above reasons, you can't go wrong.

In short I hope you go with a 20" saw, the bands last longer, less fatigue with the larger wheels, you can get a little more tension on the bands with a stronger frame and the new MM has 20" resaw capability. Probably only good if you want to get rid of the mother in law.

Good Luck,
Rye Crane
Pittsburg, Ca.

Brad Knabel
09-23-2005, 2:02 PM
Hello,
I got a similar response about the Grizzly saws from our local Woodcraft rep. I agree with Mike and Jeff - I don't think its appropriate to badmouth a competitor out of hand. I've always been more impressed when a salesperson tries to demonstrate why their products or service is better rather than saying their competitor is bad.

I've got the G0566 and am very pleased with it. I'll give the bad aspects up front - My biggest complaint is that the pulleys holding the drive belt were tensioned way too tight causing a great deal of vibration initially. Once I got a little slack in the belt it worked great. The manual does a good job of explaining how to set the tension and actually does a reasonably good job of explaining any other maintenance that you might need to do as well.

My only other complaint is that the stock fence is not adjustable for blade drift. I've made a simple plywood fence that I clamp to the table for resawing. I probably would have done this anyway, but this is an annoyance nonetheless.

I've been very pleased with the power and capacity, the fact that everything except for the belt was in correct alignment and with the overall fit and finish of the saw. I also like the guides that came with the saw. The motor is not a Baldor, but I won't exactly be pushing it to its limits. I have not had a reason to contact Grizzly's customer service, but have heard mostly good things.

I've got a woodslicer blade that I've used for resawing with excellent results. I've also been able to chop turning blanks out of logs nearly 14" in diameter without bogging the saw down at all (using a lenox blade). It's actually a little disconcerting seeing how easily the saw cut through that much wood.

I've looked at Minimax and Laguna's tools and they are definitely beefier machines. If you will be giving the saw a daily workout doing production I'd consider one of these saws. But I really think this Grizzly saw was a good compromise for me. I think this saw will handle anything I want to throw at it and I was able to save a little money.

Good luck with your decision and feel free to post specific questions about the saw and I'll do my best to answer them.

Brad

Dennis McDonaugh
09-23-2005, 2:40 PM
What is "WTB"?

Frankie Hunt
09-23-2005, 2:45 PM
What is "WTB"?

Want To Buy

Frankie

Mike Cutler
09-23-2005, 2:45 PM
"WTB" Internet shorthand for "want to buy"