PDA

View Full Version : Finish for (alchoholic) drink rails

Keith Downing
06-30-2016, 2:17 AM
I'm installing some drink rails in our bar and I'm looking for finish suggestions. They're cabinet grade ply, and will be pretty high use and obviously exposed to alcohol non-stop.

I've had problems in the past with polyurethanes getting ruined quickly by the alcohol and acid in the juices, and I don't think the water based polycrylic will be durable enough either.

In the past I've used helmsman with moderate success (much better than the poly) for furniture that is exposed to the alcohol. It lasts about 6 months with a pretty good finish. But I've been told recently that it is not intended for this application.

So what else is there? I'm fine with brush on, wipe on, or spray on (hvlp) finishing. Just not sure what the best option is.

Rich Engelhardt
06-30-2016, 4:34 AM
Two part epoxy is made for such a purpose.
West systems should have just what you need.

Keith Downing
06-30-2016, 5:10 AM
Thanks for the response Rich. I'll take a look at what they have these days.

I've used a two part epoxy on a bar top before. I liked the results, but it had to be poured on reasonably thick and (now this was about 5 years ago) I had to use a torch to remove the bubbles after application. The fumes were also REALLY bad working with it indoors.

It was a lot of work and if possible I'd like a simpler solution for this little project if one exists.

Wayne Lomman
06-30-2016, 8:44 AM
Keith, was the poly a 2 pack polyurethane? It's what I use all the time with no problems, although the one I use is from the Valspar heavy duty protective coatings range. It is an aliphatic polyurethane - you can get it clear or any colour you want. It is easy to brush, roll or spray. I get it in a 5 litre pack. If you keep the lids tight is lasts on the shelf for years. Any paint company with a protective coatings range should have it. Try brands like Ameron, Sherwin Williams, Jotun, International, PPG for a start. If you get hold of a technical rep they should guide you in the right direction. Cheers.

Andy Giddings
06-30-2016, 9:13 AM
Keith, I don't know whether any of the General Finishes range would work but would recommend asking them (they are very quick to respond to questions on their Facebook page for example). Not a General Finishes salesman, just really enjoy using their products and have always found them to be top notch

John TenEyck
06-30-2016, 5:20 PM
I've had excellent results with GF's EnduroVar, stands up to almost anything you would do to it in a bar setting. I'm sure GF's Conversion Varnish is even better, but I've never used it. EnduroVar brushes beautifully, and sprays pretty well, too. If you want a wipe on finish, Waterlox, P&L 38, or Arm-R-Seal would all be good choices.

John

Keith Downing
07-02-2016, 3:32 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I've got a couple different things I can try when I finish the project next week.