PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - What Material for Chip Deflector

Stew Hagerty
06-29-2016, 6:03 PM
I want to make a chip deflector for my miter saw and I'm not sure what steel to use.
I really don't know much of anything about working with metal. I know what I want to do and what shape I need to cut & bend it into. What I don't know is what steel to use. I want to be able to cut & bend it easily enough that it's not a struggle (I am disabled and I have some weakness in my dominant right arm), yet hold its shape without deforming every time I look at it. There will be no real stress on it. it's just going to hang on the back to help deflect more chips & dust into the vacuum chute.
So what do you think? 22 gauge? 28 gauge? More, less, in-between? Or another suggestion?
My other thought was Brass, but it's more expensive. I'm not worried about the blade ever coming in contact with the deflector, so that is a non-issue.
Suggestions?

John Lankers
06-29-2016, 9:42 PM
28 ga. galvanized sheet metal is plenty strong enough for what you're planning to do, I would even go with 30 or 32 ga. for a small shield like this. You could even make one from a soup can or pop can or similar. Another option would be to go with rubber or plastic. Don't waste your money on brass.

Greg R Bradley
06-30-2016, 9:44 AM
If something happens to rip the part off and throw it at something fragile, like you, it will be a lot better if it is plastic or stiff rubber. A spinning blade can throw something with a lot of force.

I've added Festool Kapex Dust Chute to some tools. It is item 471316, called an Apron and is about $6. In its original application , it is clamped on with 471315 and pulls dust into Extractor Connector 494307. All three parts add up to about $15

Stew Hagerty
06-30-2016, 1:25 PM
I have a DeWalt 12" DW716XPS. I love the saw, except that most of the chips & fast shoots under the vacation port. I want to add a deflector to direct it in.

Stew Hagerty
06-30-2016, 7:57 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I picked up some 28ga galvanized metal.
I do like the idea of the Kapex dust shoot. Any suggestions on where I can order it online?

mark mcfarlane
07-01-2016, 3:28 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I picked up some 28ga galvanized metal.
I do like the idea of the Kapex dust shoot. Any suggestions on where I can order it online?

from https://www.festoolusa.com/service/spare-parts-catalog/

"Replacement parts can be ordered from your preferred Festool dealer or by calling the Festool Service Department toll free at 1-888-337-8600. We are also available to answer your questions or to help identify the parts you need Monday-Friday from 8am - 5pm ET."

Festool prices are general the same everywhere, so service and time to ship are the differentiators. Bob Marino http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com is the person I have been using for new Festools, I don't know if he stocks/sells parts. I had a problem with a shipment from Bob, he reshipped the same day,...

Stew Hagerty
07-01-2016, 5:28 PM
from https://www.festoolusa.com/service/spare-parts-catalog/

"Replacement parts can be ordered from your preferred Festool dealer or by calling the Festool Service Department toll free at 1-888-337-8600. We are also available to answer your questions or to help identify the parts you need Monday-Friday from 8am - 5pm ET."

Festool prices are general the same everywhere, so service and time to ship are the differentiators. Bob Marino http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com is the person I have been using for new Festools, I don't know if he stocks/sells parts. I had a problem with a shipment from Bob, he reshipped the same day,...

Thanks Mark,

I remembered that our local woodworking store now carries Festool so I called them and they put it on order for me.
So I figure I'll form the metal into a bracket that I can hook the rubber deflector onto.
I'll post photos. The DW716 is popular saw. I figure I'm not the only one that wants to improve the dust collection for it. It's a great saw, if only the dust chute came down further and widened as it did so. Where it's at, probably 75% of the dust flies right under the existing chute. Design flaw...

Rick Potter
07-02-2016, 4:18 PM
Hey Greg....

Do you happen to have that Kapex setup on a DeWalt miter saw? If so, do you have a pic?

Greg R Bradley
07-03-2016, 5:31 PM
Rick,
Sorry, no.

I did adapt one to a Makita and a Hitachi.

I need to learn my brother's trick of documenting everything with great pictures and then explaining how he did it.