PDA

View Full Version : Delta 6x48 w 12 inch disc sander question

Sam Beagle
06-29-2016, 5:02 PM
So I scored a brand new. And I'm dead serious "brand new" never used 1986 delta machine. Sander. It has never had any abrasives on it. So I'm ready to rip my hair out, I cannot get a belt on it. I ordered 25 new belts via eBay. And I cannot get them on. I'm a floor sander by trade. So I use belts everyday and know how to install them. What am I missing here. Sam

Norris Randall
06-29-2016, 6:10 PM
339985 Don't know if this is any help. If your sander looks anything like my craftsman, the two nobs on each side will loosten the roller. Then the belt can be installed the other nobs will move the roller back and is used to adjust tracking of the belt. The small nobs lock roller in place.

Sam Beagle
06-29-2016, 6:39 PM
I have everything as loose as possible. The belts keep getting destroy every time I try.

Joe Jensen
06-29-2016, 6:43 PM
I have a Delta clone and the idler wheel should move as you loosen. Mine was gummed up from what I assume was dried grease. Does your idler wheel move in and out of the main assembly easily? I disassembled mine and cleaned and lubed and it works well now.

Rick Lizek
06-29-2016, 7:46 PM
Don't buy too many belts at a time. They typically have a shelf life of a year. The joint will fail.

Joe Jensen
06-29-2016, 8:33 PM
Don't buy too many belts at a time. They typically have a shelf life of a year. The joint will fail.

Boy did I learn that lesson the hard way.

Scott Dorrer
06-30-2016, 11:48 AM
I own one of those. Mine is a bit newer but I don't think it's changed significantly.

Clarification.... You get the belt on and it's destroyed when you start the machine or you are destroying the belt trying to get it in place??

If the latter, I would check the length of the belts you bought on Ebay

Matt Day
06-30-2016, 12:03 PM
As Scott said, please describe how the belts are failing. When you out then on? When you turn it on (after mounting)?

Sam Beagle
06-30-2016, 12:27 PM
Hey guys. I'm actually doing the damage while installing them. I can get them over the rollers. But it's extremely tight and then cannot slide them into place.

Scott Dorrer
06-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Did you check the belt length?

Also,,, what is the model number of the machine?

mark kosse
06-30-2016, 1:11 PM
The star knob on the back of the sander controls roller height. The star knob on the side controls trollers tilt or tracking. When you turn the height knob sometimes you have to lightly nudge the roller down to get the belt on.

when you get the belt on roll it by hand to check tracking then turn the machine on then quickly off to set tracking. Tracking can be iffy on these machines so go slow.

Sam Beagle
06-30-2016, 1:18 PM
I will get the number today. And also check belts. Thanks guys very much. With this forum, I always feel like I can accomplish anything.

Bruce Page
06-30-2016, 2:26 PM
Sam, your problem is probably one of two things; the upper drum isn't dropping sufficiently, or your eBay belts are undersized.
You don't mention a model number but if it's like my Delta 52-611 the upper roller will lower a good 1/8" - 3/16" (see pics 3&4) after loosening the track knob and backing out the belt tension knob counter-clockwise. If yours is not lowering then it's probably gunked up or rusted.
You do not want to run the sander with the belt excessively tight or you will fry the roller bearings.
I have a PDF of the Owners Manual for my machine that goes through adjusting the belt. If you would like a copy PM me with your email address.

Sam Beagle
06-30-2016, 6:50 PM
I got it figured out. You won't even believe how stupid I am. Regardless. It's on now and works and tracks perfect.

Bruce Page
06-30-2016, 6:59 PM
What was the problem? It might help the next guy.

Sam Beagle
06-30-2016, 7:03 PM
Bruce. I have the same model as you, with the 12 inch disc too. I'm embarrassed to even tell anyone what I did. But here it goes, my brain dead self put the belt inside, instead of on the platen. Again, what a floor sander would do. I ruined 4 belts total. Saved a few. What a moron I am

Bruce Page
06-30-2016, 8:11 PM
Stuff happens. Hopefully my pics helped you see the light. :)

Mike Wilkins
07-01-2016, 3:34 PM
Since it is a brand new machine from 1986, the grease that was applied during manufacture may have dried out and gummed up the works. Try doing a thorough cleaning of all moving parts, apply the proper lube to moving parts and see if it will free things up.