PDA

View Full Version : Testing the power of your laser?

Jay Selway
06-29-2016, 12:30 PM
I have a 50w epilog, and despite realigning the lenses, leveling the table, cleaning the optics, and doing everything maintenance-wise – I feel like it's not cutting as nicely as it was. Is there a way to test it to see if the tube is losing power?

Thanks

Gary Hair
06-29-2016, 2:56 PM
Rent, buy, or borrow a meter.

Nicolas Silva
06-29-2016, 3:16 PM
you can rent a power meter from laserbits.com

Jay Selway
06-29-2016, 11:25 PM
Thanks guys!

Scott Marquez
06-29-2016, 11:41 PM
I recently purchased a Mahoney power meter from Bell Laser, it is a great tool for trending your power at different levels.
Scott

Kev Williams
06-30-2016, 12:06 AM
I have so many power settings saved in my LS900 for cutting Rowmark and plex and tape that I'll never need a power meter to know if I'm losing power (although it would be nice to know just what the actual power output is).

Some settings I use regularly were made during the first few days I owned it, and they still work fine. In 12 years this machine hasn't lost a step (knock on my head!), and when I changed the silver mirror over the lens for a yellow mirror, it actually gained power. The obvious change I noticed was cutting double sided tape. For years it was dialed in to cut thru the tape but not cut thru the paper I stick the tape to (used vinyl backing or postage label backers). Once I put the new mirror in it blew right thru the tape and the paper backings.

Anyway-- Do you have any cutting settings saved that you can use for reference? If something won't cut with settings that used to work fine, then chances are your power's dropping.

Ian Johnson
06-30-2016, 12:58 AM
You could use a set calibration test. Have a file that you use to raster a square at a particular speed and power into clear cast acrylic. Use a digital caliper to measure the depth of the square, and watch for changes in the depth.