PDA

View Full Version : burl cutting question

Richard Demler
06-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Hi,I have just become the owner of 5 burls..2 cherry and 3 maple I believe..I don't want to make the first cut until I find out if there is a recommended way of cutting that will make the best use of them..I mostly make bowls but do want to try wine stoppers sometime..Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated..

Steve Doerr
06-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Richard, most cherry burls grow around the trunk or branch. This means that you need to be concerned about the pith. Thus for cherry burls, I would go ahead and cut the pith out and seal the ends, just like you would on any other log. This will give you the opportunity to turn either a natural edge bowl or a regular bowl depending on how you orient the "blank."

Most other burls (In this case I'm thinking the maple), since they don't wrap around the tree can be cut however you can maximize the wood. Just be sure and seal them like you would any other piece of wood.

Prashun Patel
06-29-2016, 11:48 AM
If you are turning burl caps, then I highly suggest you turn them live edge (cap side on the rim). Live edge burl bowls have irregular edges that you don't as easily see in bark turnings.

Richard Demler
06-30-2016, 11:31 PM
Thank you for the replies.I did cut the smallest one today..hopefully get two bowls and maybe two small cups from it..

William Bachtel
07-01-2016, 7:23 AM
What no photos?

Ronald Campbell
07-01-2016, 8:41 AM
Richard your cherry burls you do not want to leave on the ground. The bugs love cherry and it can be eaten up in a very short period of time.

Richard Demler
07-01-2016, 6:40 PM
Here are some pics of the burls I acquired this week..First ones ever like these..I did try turning part of one and will have another thread started within 30 minutes on that issue..OK,I'll try the pics..oil jug there for size comparison.