PDA

View Full Version : Segmented glueup I found at garage sale

Bill Jobe
06-29-2016, 3:55 AM
Took me over 2 hours to get this mounted and trued up. I'm guessing I'm pretty much pushing the limit on a HF 10" mini.

Aaron Craven
06-29-2016, 8:10 AM
Nice find! What are you going to make out of it?

Bill White
06-29-2016, 11:44 AM
Are you gonna use the tail stock (I HOPE)?
Bill

Prashun Patel
06-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Sure you don't want to make a bunch of cutting boards out of that? You'd be set with gifts for friends and family for this year.

Bill Jobe
06-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Well the guy who made it had it marked to make bowls. As long as it is I may make a couple of bowls, then a vase. When I told him I wanted to make vases with his pieces and he got a funny look on his face and said "vases"? Apparently he's not into that. I picked up several glue-ups he was selling. Wish I'd gotten there before he sold his machines and tools but he said he didn't have a one, just the wood.
One of his segmented pieces was half again as long as the one on the lathe. And a few smaller ones.
since I've never glued up a segmented piece I was surprised to find out there was no consistancy.....the pattern was all over the place. He must have had a reason when he made it.

Steve Mellott
06-29-2016, 1:05 PM
Be very careful! I bought an old glue-up one time, only to discover that the glued joints were failing.

Bill Jobe
06-29-2016, 1:55 PM
Be very careful! I bought an old glue-up one time, only to discover that the glued joints were failing.

Funny you should mention that. A couple of times while fitting this to the mini I heard a couple of hollow sounds.
Here's one of the bigger pieces.

Bill Jobe
06-29-2016, 2:03 PM
Sure you don't want to make a bunch of cutting boards out of that? You'd be set with gifts for friends and family for this year.

That's a good idea. Nobody wants my turnings.

Bill Jobe
06-29-2016, 2:06 PM
And the top. Arrangement makes much more sense.

Aaron Craven
06-29-2016, 2:25 PM
And the top. Arrangement makes much more sense.

Hard to tell... is that endgrain or facegrain (or both)?

Bill Jobe
06-29-2016, 2:33 PM
They all have the end grain top and bottom.
And various and sundry other pieces.

Aaron Craven
06-29-2016, 3:23 PM
They all have the end grain top and bottom.
And various and sundry other pieces.

A lot of possibilities with all that... I do agree some cutting boards would be nice (though they'd be a little on the small side -- maybe call them cheese boards). I might try some shallow bowls as well (even if it is end-grain). I wonder what it would look like if you made cutting boards cut on a diagonal to make an oval...

Vases could look really nice too, especially if they were tall and slender. Not that I'd do that myself... don't have the toolset or skills to hollow something like that.

Brian Tymchak
06-29-2016, 4:48 PM
since I've never glued up a segmented piece I was surprised to find out there was no consistancy.....the pattern was all over the place. He must have had a reason when he made it.

I suspect he was trying to put some scrap to good use.

Bill Jobe
06-29-2016, 9:37 PM
Are you gonna use the tail stock (I HOPE)?
Bill

Absolutely,Bill. Kinda hanging off the back but it was secure.
But, I could sense the 2 sides of my
brain struggling to keep its half of the face shield.

Bill Jobe
06-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Ladys and gentlemen, we have a bowl.
Too beat tonight to sand, but that little HF mini came through.
And best of all I still have 2 hands.

Bill Jobe
07-03-2016, 3:13 PM
Vases could look really nice too, especially if they were tall and slender. Not that I'd do that myself... don't have the toolset or skills to hollow something like that.

I hear thee.
But I like your idea of cutting diagonal cutting boards. I could try making one and see how I like it before using up a whole glueup. That would also leave me with a diagonal piece that's round on the end that I could turn into a vase or some such thing.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions everyone.

So much wood.....so little time. Got a call from a tree service saying he had a piece of olive he was saving for me.

Bill Bulloch
07-04-2016, 7:39 AM
You don't say what the diameter of the laminations are, but another thought would be to split them down the middle like you do a log. That way you would not be hollowing end grain and it would give you a different pattern. You could also re-saw and re-glue to achieve different patterns. I was going to refer you to Frank Penta's website so you could see some of his laminations, but the website he gave us at the AAW Symposium (http://woodspriteturning.com/sties/penta/) doesn't work. Maybe you could just google his name (Frank Penta Woodturner) and see some of his work.