PDA

View Full Version : Making shop doors........

David Pettibone
09-23-2005, 7:52 AM
Hello guys,

First of all, I tried the search tool before posting to try and find any pictures or ideas on making shop doors. I found nothing or I am not doing it right.

What I have is a wall I am extending into the original garage to gain more space from my shop that is behind it. The wall is going to come about 4 feet short of my insulated garage door. The half of the garage that I am now building will be insulated and heated (I live in Michigan). The doors that I want to make will open up into a unheated section of the garage that can't be used for my shop. I want to make 2 doors, each to be 3.5 feet that will open up and give me a 7 foot total opening to get things in and out. I hope it makes sense. I would love to post a picture, but our Kodak EasyShare LS443 went bonkers on us on September 15th. We are getting a new one soon, I hope. Anyways, the doors don't open up to the outside atmosphere, just the inside of the garage that is unheated.

I have heard of sandwiching a ridgid insulated sheet around 2 sheets of OSB. Is this the way that most of you guys do it??? I want to do it once and be done. Any ideas or photos would be of great help. Thanks, and when I am finally done I will post some pictures. Thanks!!!:) :)

Gratefully, David:) :)

Frank Pellow
09-23-2005, 8:20 AM
Here are two Saw Mill Creek threads about the doors that I built for my shop:

Double doors for Frank Pellow's workshop
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10575

Door to be built around an octagon window
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12565

David Pettibone
09-23-2005, 8:22 AM
Thanks Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

David

Jim O'Dell
09-23-2005, 1:20 PM
David, I built a torsion box style doors for my shop. I insulated each pocket with the rigid foam boad insulation. The space between the doors is 1.5", with 3/8" skins on each side. Two doors span a 10' wide opening. So far so good. They seem to be very rigid. Not too sure about the insulating quality as the doors are fairly well shaded even though they are on the south side of the shop. Jim.

Steve Stube
09-23-2005, 2:44 PM
I built a 46.5" X 80" with 1.5" X 2" wood perimeter frame and 2" Dow foam core and 1/8 " temper masonite faces. I staggered diagonal top to bottom bracing - half splitting one ply of the rigid foam and the other, cross direction, in the second 1" foam core ply. If I was to do it again I would make the frame 2.1" thick because the foam expanded "bulging" the faces after assembly. External crossbuck bracing and thru bolts took care of the bulge but added weight which I was trying to avoid from the start.

David Pettibone
09-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys, I just came in from furring out the wall of the old garage(10:00 p.m. Michigan time) to get 5.5 inches for 2x6 R-19 insulation. I hope to OSB it tomorrow or Sunday. Then I will make my way around to the door opening that I will be constructing and then make 2 doors to fit the 72" opening. Your ideas have helped me as much as Frank's did. I really appreciate it and the torsion box idea has my brain churning. Take care.

Gratefully, David:)