PDA

View Full Version : Did you authorize a Windows 10 upgrade

Raymond Fries
06-27-2016, 8:49 PM
She did not and won a legal case.

https://consumerist.com/2016/06/27/woman-wins-10k-from-microsoft-for-automatic-windows-10-upgrade/

Tom Stenzel
06-27-2016, 9:04 PM
What helped her was California's consumer protection laws that pretty much says that if you sell something, it better do what you claim. Plus she had a demonstrable loss of income from her business. That's a win? That's like 'winning' a check from your insurance company after an auto collision.

I remember my daughter's laptop 'updated' from win 8 to 8.1 just when she needed it to get some schoolwork done. It took a couple hours, made the computer useless when she needed it. A few weeks ago on a Sunday morning she was going to use it to finish up some homework- we were going to a show in the evening. Yep, it decided without any prompting to transmogrify into win 10. And again tied up the machine for several hours. How did they know when it was needed? Which is what I said at the time. Just not in those terms.

She used my wife's laptop to get her homework done.

But the lesson is clear- if you have a windows computer and need to get something done, you better buy two of them. So one will work when you need it.

Maybe.

-Tom

Frederick Skelly
06-27-2016, 9:12 PM
Yep, it decided without any prompting to transmogrify into win 10. And again tied up the machine for several hours. How did they know when it was needed?

Mine did the same. Too bad for me. Fortunately, I HATED windows 8, so windows 10 was an improvement. Mostly.

Rich Riddle
06-27-2016, 11:36 PM
My sister-in-law indicated her machine updated without her permission. The world of computers.

Brian Elfert
06-28-2016, 7:53 AM
I had been in the habit of hit the X button to close the windows asking me if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. The last one I closed that way apparently took that as a signal that I wanted to upgrade. Luckily, the upgrade ran while I slept and everything works just fine in Windows 10.

Chuck Wintle
06-28-2016, 4:49 PM
I had been in the habit of hit the X button to close the windows asking me if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. The last one I closed that way apparently took that as a signal that I wanted to upgrade. Luckily, the upgrade ran while I slept and everything works just fine in Windows 10.

its like invasion of the body snatchers...don't fall sleep!

Curt Harms
06-29-2016, 7:39 AM

You're not alone by any means. It's nice that Windows 10 is so sought after that they don't have to resort to deception to get people to install it. [/sarcasm]

Chuck Wintle
06-29-2016, 7:49 AM
You're not alone by any means. It's nice that Windows 10 is so sought after that they don't have to resort to deception to get people to install it. [/sarcasm]

download and run GWX_control_panel.exe to end your problems with windows 10. It will end the sneak attack by MS to get this installed on your computer. That is what really galls me is how they force it upon computer users.

Larry Browning
06-29-2016, 9:19 AM
MS is once again changing things around. Just yesterday (06/28/16) they changed it again.
Prediction: MS will extend the July 29 deadline.
http://www.winbuzzer.com/2016/06/28/microsoft-addresses-windows-10-upgrade-policy-company-making-easier-dismiss-update-prompt-xcxwbn/

(http://www.winbuzzer.com/2016/06/28/microsoft-addresses-windows-10-upgrade-policy-company-making-easier-dismiss-update-prompt-xcxwbn/)

Chuck Wintle
06-29-2016, 9:32 AM
MS is once again changing things around. Just yesterday (06/28/16) they changed it again.
Prediction: MS will extend the July 29 deadline.
http://www.winbuzzer.com/2016/06/28/microsoft-addresses-windows-10-upgrade-policy-company-making-easier-dismiss-update-prompt-xcxwbn/

(http://www.winbuzzer.com/2016/06/28/microsoft-addresses-windows-10-upgrade-policy-company-making-easier-dismiss-update-prompt-xcxwbn/)
They had no choice but to back off with their aggressive campaign to force user to switch. I think this was very ill conceived strategy on the part of MS and the consumer will win.

Dale Coons
06-29-2016, 9:33 AM
+1 on GWX Control Panel. Easy. Free. Works. Tells MS to STOP! No nags, Win10 bits that had already downloaded were removed, still on Win 7 and lovin it.

Chuck Wintle
06-29-2016, 9:37 AM
+1 on GWX Control Panel. Easy. Free. Works. Tells MS to STOP! No nags, Win10 bits that had already downloaded were removed, still on Win 7 and lovin it.
i never could believe MS would give something for free without a hook of some sort. When I learned that Solitaire would have to be paid for i knew the whole thing was bogus. Why make the user pay for Solitaire when it has been free for the last 30 or so years?

glenn bradley
06-29-2016, 10:09 AM
its like invasion of the body snatchers...don't fall sleep!

Bwaa-haaa-haaaw.

If you operate a machine you are responsible for it. Put oil in your car and properly administer your computer. We have a couple of generations that never knew anything but Windows XP. The long running OS did not serve Microsoft well when updates were finally required. Your OS used to change every few years, XP ran for nearly a decade and a half.

In the end, anything your computer does is your responsibility. Remember the old story about the tech support guy who asked the person on the phone if they still had the box the computer came in? :D

Larry Browning
06-29-2016, 11:39 AM
All my home computers are on Win10 and all is well, happy as a clam.
My work computer is still on Win7 and I don't think they are planning on upgrading everyone anytime soon. In fact a colleague recently was issued a new computer and it had Win7 on it. We have a few developers using Win10, but I think those are for some sort of new version of visual studio that requires Win10. The rumor is that Sys Admin is still studying Win10 and we will eventually upgrade. It will probably be through natural attrition of hardware upgrades. It will take a long time around here. I will be retiring in 6 mos. anyway, so it won't effect me.

Larry Browning
06-29-2016, 11:47 AM
i never could believe MS would give something for free without a hook of some sort. When I learned that Solitaire would have to be paid for i knew the whole thing was bogus. Why make the user pay for Solitaire when it has been free for the last 30 or so years?

No big conspiracy here. Windows was the only major OS that still charged it current users a fee to upgrade to the next version. MS is just getting in line with the rest of the world.

Tom Stenzel
06-29-2016, 7:41 PM
Many moons ago the wife and I bought a new Compaq computer with WinXP from Best Buy. One of the things I wanted to do with it was to copy my record collection and burn them into CDs. In those pre Internet days I bought a copy of MusicMatch Deluxe to do that.

One day I went to use it and found it didn't work anymore. Found out that Yahoo had bought the company. The result was an 'UPDATE' that crippled the software- because of "a changing business model".

I'm still livid over that. The company took software that I had BOUGHT in a box at Best Buy and sabotaged it. I deleted the software, reinstalled it from the CD, then found and broke the updater. Later I switched to Audacity, a much better solution.

That's what drove me to open source software. I'm not at the mercy of someone's business model. And with the inability to turn off Win 10 updates, even ones that destroy the usability of YOUR computer and hold YOUR information hostage, there's no way I could ever allow such malware on any computer I have.

Imagine buying a car that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds. One day getting on the freeway it takes 10 seconds. When you take it in a complain, the service writer says, "We changed our business model. If you want your car to accelerate faster, you will have to upgrade with the purchase the Sport package. Only $9.99 a month, it's really a good deal. Just put your charge card in this here slot". I'm sure everyone would be fine with that.

At work we ran MSOS 4.3 on a CDC 1700 from 1978 until 2004. Our microVAX II ran the same version of VAX-VMS from 1988 until it was decommisioned 15 years later. At home I ran CP/M 2.2 until the hardware gave up the ghost. It's replacement ran DR-DOS 6.0 from the mid ninties until 2010. And yeah, I still miss WordStar. On the computers I've seen the owners run the OS that it came with until the horse up and dies. Or they get a whole new computer. Change an operating system every two years? Other than a masochist who would do that?

-Tom

Brian Elfert
06-29-2016, 8:45 PM
At work we ran MSOS 4.3 on a CDC 1700 from 1978 until 2004. Our microVAX II ran the same version of VAX-VMS from 1988 until it was decommisioned 15 years later. At home I ran CP/M 2.2 until the hardware gave up the ghost. It's replacement ran DR-DOS 6.0 from the mid ninties until 2010. And yeah, I still miss WordStar. On the computers I've seen the owners run the OS that it came with until the horse up and dies. Or they get a whole new computer. Change an operating system every two years? Other than a masochist who would do that?

Those old operating systems probably didn't connect to the Internet where there are hackers trying to get into computers continually. It is a constant struggle to keep things patched ahead of hackers.

There is no need to constantly upgrade operating systems to get patches. Windows 7 was released in 2009. The final security patches will be released in October 2020. That is more than 11 years of patch support. Windows Server 2003 came out in April 2003. It was supported by patches until July 2015 for 12 years of patches.

Curt Harms
06-30-2016, 8:32 AM
No big conspiracy here. Windows was the only major OS that still charged it current users a fee to upgrade to the next version. MS is just getting in line with the rest of the world.

The tricky part for Microsoft is that Apple makes the majority of its income from hardware. Microsoft has a ways to go there so I guess they're counting on 'rentals' from Office365 and Azure. User data sales ala Google?

Kev Williams
06-30-2016, 2:41 PM
BECAUSE Microsoft can and does take control of your computer any time they want and for whatever purpose suits them,
6 of my 8 computers are XP (one is 98, one is 8.1 and it's going away soon), and yes they're all connected to the internet...
I'd rather have hackers screw with my computer than Microsoft. (and why would they, hacking an XP is like playing Pong).

Larry Browning
06-30-2016, 3:30 PM
BECAUSE Microsoft can and does take control of your computer any time they want and for whatever purpose suits them

I have yet to come up with any kind of a reason that would make MS WANT to take control of my computer. How would they benefit? And how would it hurt me? What are they gonna do? Steal my credit card info and sell it?
Just because they can does not mean they will.

Kev Williams
06-30-2016, 3:51 PM
By installing 10 without your permission, how is that NOT taking control of your computer? And from what I hear, that's just the tip of a very cold iceberg..

Sorry, but I'm not giving Bill the keys to MY house!

(maybe if he'd build a computer I can actually use...)

Larry Browning
06-30-2016, 4:19 PM
Whatever floats your boat.

Chuck Wintle
06-30-2016, 4:34 PM
By installing 10 without your permission, how is that NOT taking control of your computer? And from what I hear, that's just the tip of a very cold iceberg..

Sorry, but I'm not giving Bill the keys to MY house!

(maybe if he'd build a computer I can actually use...)

This! when I decide to upgrade it will be my decision and not that of the marketers at MS who want more money. Also, and this may seem petty, why would they want the user to pay for Solitaire?? It has been free since MS-DOS!