PDA

View Full Version : Slabbed a big Red Oak on Saturday

Todd Burch
06-27-2016, 11:47 AM
About 36" on the small end and 42" on the big end inside the bark. 9.5' long. Most slabs were around 11/4 thick. HEAVY!!! The log had a bit of a taper to it (as most do), and I did not take the time to raise the small end. That caused the pith to be about 6" different in elevation when I was cutting it. So, instead of cutting slabs that would have pith running through them, I cut the center slab to fully contain the pith. Sometime in the future, I will saw it to get quarter sawn boards from either side of the pith.

339852 339853 339854

Here's the stack with all wood from the two logs. Big stack. (Looks like I need to straighten it up a bit…!!, which I will do when I cut up the 6" thick slab)

339849 339850

I also cut a nice pecan log, about the same length. Cut 16+ (kept 16) boards of 5/4 material from it, all 6" or 7" wide. (Some got sold, so I'm not certain of the exact count.) Got some nice looking boards. The pecan is the 3 layers of pink wood above the 2 middle slabs. Also got a 9/4 slab, 19" at the narrow.

In the first picture of the red oak, I'm cutting the top crown off the log. I reclaimed 9 4/4 boards from that crown, and I got 16 5/4 boards from the bottom crown. Top 3 layers in the stack.

Someone please comment, but I think cutting at a slight taper causes more cathedral grain to be present, which in flat sawn wood, I don't mind at all.

Tom Hogard
06-27-2016, 9:37 PM
Milling parallel to the pith yields more cathedral grain, parallel to the bark yields less. If you are looking for pronounced cathedral gain (in short sections), look for a log with sweep and mill the horns, the hump will have the complimentary grain pattern.

Todd Burch
06-27-2016, 11:28 PM
Thanks Tom.

Here are a couple more pictures. They are trickling in from all the folks who were taking pictures. I hosted a field trip for a dozen members of the woodworking guild in Katy, Texas. Fed them yard bird for lunch too.

This is the pecan log I cut and a better picture of the pecan slab.

339893 339894

Scott T Smith
07-03-2016, 10:56 AM
That's a workout!

Todd Burch
07-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Sure was. After all that was cut up, I sawed a 16' post oak to get a boxed heart 6X6 out of it, while trying to reclaim as much side material in 4/4 as I could. That was some head scratching there! I got 3 4/4 boards, but should have gotten 6 or 7. Will do better next time.

I've sold two slabs already. Sold the Pecan slab for $100 and a (25" / 31") x 2 5/8" x 9' slab for $200. Woo Hoo! Gonna buy me some EZ Dogs now.

John TenEyck
07-16-2016, 3:12 PM
Good stuff, Todd. Selling a few slabs always helps and justifies a few new toys to make it easier. Nice looking mill you have there. Better sell some more slabs!

Are you able to sell slabs green? I couldn't sell a one until I started kiln drying them. Now it's really easy.

John

Todd Burch
07-18-2016, 10:36 AM
Hi John.

I've sold 4 so far, all green. I have 7 more I have not advertised, but would sell them in a heartbeat if an offer came my way. ;)

I have a 10' cypress slab that has a bit of taper to it. Off the top of my head, I think it's probably 22" at the wide end and 10" at the narrow end. I think I'll probably cut it in half and glue it together to make as "squarish" a top as I can, giving it a crooked glue line, then square it up further from there and sell it.

I need a kiln, or need to find one close. I found a guy with one in Houston, but he wanted $2/bf to dry wood. Too rich for my blood.

Scott T Smith
07-18-2016, 5:01 PM
Brandon Berdoll has one near Bastrop, but I have to say that if the slab is 3" - 4" thick, $2.00 per bd ft ain't a bad deal.