PDA

View Full Version : Has the quality of Red Wing boots went down?

Michael Yadfar
06-26-2016, 10:17 PM
I bought my first pair of Red Wings two and a half years ago, and for the most part have been satisfied. They don't make the model I bought anymore, but they are steel toe, waterproof, and Made in USA. They were about $280. The issues I've had though is that the waterproofing failed in about five months, and while I think they were under warranty, I wasn't worried enough to return them. Then about 6 months ago, after owning them for two years, the soles started falling off. I've been glueing them back on, but they keep peeling off in certain spots so I'm going to have to get them resoled.

Now I did have them for two and a half years, but they've been used in mostly a warehouse setting and for mild landscape work, they haven't been abused. We are also talking about $280 shoes. My dad has Wolverines which were only like $80 and they're older and in better shape. I was thinking maybe I just had a bad model, but I have a friend who's soles recently peeled completely off in a shorter period of time, and have read some recent reviews about similar issues.

I was just curious of these are rare cases, or if there's actually a quality issue. I've heard of people having the same sole for 10 years.

Jerome Stanek
06-27-2016, 6:39 AM
I have been wearing Red Wing shoes for over 25 years. I am very hard on them and only had one pair that the soles came off. I have had some resoled ad they lasted just fine. most of the time the toes would wear out as I would be on my kneels to adjust the levelers on gondola and wall fixture in drug stores.

Rich Engelhardt
06-27-2016, 8:18 AM
Things like this are why I like LL Bean.

Sort of the Ruger of the boot world.

Any problems w/them and you just call them and they handle it.

Jerome Stanek
06-27-2016, 8:48 AM
I have tried different brands and always go back to the Red Wings as they are the most comfortable for me with my orthotics.

Izzy Camire
06-27-2016, 2:32 PM
I just shopped for new boots and I bought Keen. I thought they were the best I had looked at.

Todd Mason-Darnell
06-30-2016, 7:20 AM
I had a similar experience with a pair of Red Wings. I took them back to the Red Wings store (where I bought them) to discuss getting them resoled. The manager looked at them and said "That ain't right" and give full credit towards another pair.

Several other people I know have had similar very good customer service experience at the Red Wings' stores.

Try going in and see what they say.

glenn bradley
06-30-2016, 8:09 AM
Another Red Wing wearer here. I was concerned about the made in china model but, with the usual preparations one gives long lasting boots I have had no issues. Did you prep them with Huberd's, Obenauf's or a similar product?