PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used both front mount and zero turn mowers?

Brian Elfert
06-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Has anyone here used both a front mount and a zero turn mower? I have a front mount and love it, but it has issues. Almost everything new is now zero turn. I like the front mount because it sticks out front and can get under trees and such. A zero turn can't do that unless I want to drop big bucks for a Grasshopper or similar that has a front mount deck. If you have used both, which do you like better?

I like my front mount, but it is 20 years old and nobody can fix the float issue with the deck. The hydraulics are keeping the deck so that it won't follow contours properly. If the ground transitions from grade to flat the mower deck will be off the ground until the whole unit is on the flat. I can't afford $20,000 for a new front mount mower so I am thinking about zero turn instead. I am also considering getting another used power unit and putting my deck on it, but there is no guarantee I won't still have issues. Most of the mowers like mine do not have a mulching deck like mine has.

Ken Combs
06-26-2016, 3:17 PM
I've had both. Prefer mid-mount deck. Getting under trees and such was nice, but cutting into inside corners was a pain. The 'tail swing' made it really difficult. Mine was doubly bad because it had two tail wheels.

Your hydraulic issue should be fixable. It sounds like the lift valve has a float position that isn't being engaged by the operating linkage or is defective.

Brian Elfert
06-26-2016, 6:25 PM
I've had both. Prefer mid-mount deck. Getting under trees and such was nice, but cutting into inside corners was a pain. The 'tail swing' made it really difficult. Mine was doubly bad because it had two tail wheels.

Your hydraulic issue should be fixable. It sounds like the lift valve has a float position that isn't being engaged by the operating linkage or is defective.

Fixable by who? Toro only has one dealer with multiple locations in Minnesota, North Dakota, and Iowa for their commercial mowers. I had the closest location pick up the unit for service and they said they fixed it, but it isn't fixed. It works just slightly better than before. The dealer hasn't returned any of my phone calls or emails since they returned the mower on Monday. Before they sent it back I asked them several times if the float is fixed and they assured me it was. I previously had a mechanic look at it who works on Toro Groundsmaster mowers for a local city and he couldn't figure it out so that is why I had the dealer look at it.

I fixed a bunch of issues myself and had the hydraulic lift valve rebuilt before I took it to the dealer. There is a counterbalance manifold that has a check port that is supposed to have 100 PSI of pressure. My invoice says they did a hydraulic pressure test so presumably they checked this.

I'm about ready to give up on this mower and look elsewhere. I like how it cuts. The only issue is the float thing. The slightly longer grass at the top of a grade doesn't bother me enough to run out for a new mower right now, but I will probably do something next year if this one can't be fixed. I used the same model mower when they were new 20+ years ago and they floated perfectly.

Brian Elfert
06-27-2016, 4:47 PM
I talked to the dealer and they recommend replacing the hydraulic lift valve with a new one. The valve is $400 if I do it myself. I am concerned that I replace the valve and then it turns out that doesn't fix it. I will have flushed $400 down the drain.

I have to think about if I should just give up and look at a new zero turn or something. No mower I could afford will have parts half as heavy duty as what I have, but I only do 50 to 75 hours a year at most.

Jim Becker
06-27-2016, 7:57 PM
I've only every seen front mounts on golf courses and with some local pro mowers and the latter are "stand on" type, rather than riders usually. I do love my ZTR and if you buy one with a wide enough deck, you can get under things reasonably well...not quite as far as a front mount might, but...

And at ~$5K for a new very high quality ZTR, it sounds like something to consider if you can't get your older one back working to your satisfaction.

Dave Lehnert
06-27-2016, 8:16 PM
Would something like a Toro Grandstand work for you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImA50GUkg78

John K Jordan
06-27-2016, 8:18 PM
I talked to the dealer and they recommend replacing the hydraulic lift valve with a new one.

Of course they did! Have you considered trying to rebuild the valve? I would certainly try that before spending the $400. You might find a bad seal, a scored shaft, clogged line, who knows until you get it apart. Have a parts manual to look at? Some dealers are willing to make copies of pages of the shop manuals. (I buy a shop manual, when available, for every piece of equipment I have.)

Even if a piece is broken fabricating a new one might be an option. Or, and I have no idea what yours is like, you might find a replacement valve that could be plumbed in. Hydraulic valves are often pretty simple, everywhere, lots of parts available. Lots of things with hydraulics use off-the-shelf components.

BTW, I've used other mowers but I've had a 60" Kubota diesel zero-turn for over 10 years now and I love it. Mowing is a relaxing and enjoyable time. I can reach almost everything I need with the left side although I do need to prune a few more branches in my little orchard.

JKJ

Jerome Stanek
06-27-2016, 8:41 PM
EXmark makes a unit called the navigator that may fit the bill

Brian Elfert
06-27-2016, 10:57 PM
I already had a hydraulic shop rebuild the valve this past winter. I'm wondering if I can take the whole mower over to the hydraulic shop to have them look at things. I need to call them tomorrow to ask.

This mower has 5,500 hours on it so the valve could just be shot. The hydrostatic transmission was supposedly replaced at about 4,800 hours and the engine was rebuilt about the same time. I like the power of the diesel engine. I'm considering buying a newer power unit and putting my mowing deck on it. The mulching deck I have is somewhat rare. I have a line on a 2004 model in Denver for around $3000 or one in Rochester, NY for $850. The 2004 model is actually a slightly better model that takes the same mowing deck. They both have under 1,500 hours.

I had the baby brother of the mower I have now that had an 18 HP small engine. It just couldn't handle mulching the grass if it got very tall at all. The mulching deck for that model was apparently known not to work well. I can cut grass nearly a foot tall now with the diesel and it won't bog down at all.

Brian Elfert
06-27-2016, 11:02 PM
EXmark makes a unit called the navigator that may fit the bill

The Navigator is $10,000 and only a 48" deck. There are other options like Walker or Grasshopper if I wanted to spend that kind of money. I don't have that kind of money, but I would probably consider a late model used front mount mower if I had $10,000 to spend.

There are a lot of used 72" front mount mowers pretty cheap with low hours, but 72" is just too big for my yard. The 62" barely fits between trees and other obstacles. One of my issues is that Toro made hardly any of the 200 series Groundsmasters compared to the 300 series with the 72" decks.

Brian Elfert
07-07-2016, 10:38 PM
I missed out on buying another lawn mower the same as mine for only $2000 with just 700 hours on it. I probably would have bought it if I had the opportunity. These things are really rare to find with the mulching deck at a decent price. I suspect I could sell mine for the same price reasonably easy.

I am still conflicted about buying another new lawn mower or fixing this one. My mower works right now and it cuts grass pretty good. It is just the inability to follow contours properly that upsets me. I could replace the hydraulic valve for $400, but if that doesn't fix it then I'll have to replace the counterbalance manifold, and then the hydraulic cylinders, and finally the entire transmission. I would probably be another $5,000 into it and the mowing deck still wouldn't follow contours.