PDA

View Full Version : EFSTS part 3 of ??

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2005, 1:04 AM
Hello all it's me again the unofficial spokesman for myself with the next installment of "Euro Talk". So pull up a chair, grab your favorite drink and be entertained......

I will be showing here how I crosscut using my EFSTS (a MM Formula S35) and just keep in my mind this is how I do these functions today (well actually tonight) and on this specific saw. Other manufacturers have little differences but the idea is the same. I am more or less focusing on small solid stock and small panels with solid stock trim. These operations are the same for sheetgoods or large pieces of solid stock too.

In the first two pictures you will see me cutting small pieces of solid stock on my miter guage. It has flip stops (2) and can extend out a good distance. I use this guage when i am trimming out a piece since as you can see it has preset angle stops and is very accurate for me.

In the next three pictures you will see pictures of my outrigger table now on with the miter guage removed. In the first picture of the outrigger table you will see a set of holes on the left & right side of the picture. These holes correspond to the main crosscut fence which allows one to place the fence on the front or back of the outrigger table. The next two pictures shows how the outrigger table itself can be moved just about anywhere on the slider, within the length of travel of the outrigger support arm below it. This allows you to place the outrigger in a convienent location to aid you in what you are cutting. Typically you would place it all the way to the far end to get the full length of travel when your are sizing sheetgoods. In my case I can work with 10ft panels (rip). Placing it closer to the operator one will limit the full stroke because of the travel of the support arm but it may be more convenient if you are only cutting soild stock.

continued in next message......

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2005, 1:06 AM
continued.......

The next two pictures you will see the main crosscut fence on in the forward location , typically used to cut sheetgoods, and in the back position where you would cut solid stock. Once again this the way I use it.

The last three pictures shows me cutting some small 24x20 cherry panels (shelves) with hardwood edges. In the first picture that black piece is my exact location of where the blade cuts. I can easily line up a piece to the mark and "eye ball" the first cut. The next two pictures I have flipped the panel and cut the opposite side, now using the flip stop set to a specific distance and now I have two parallel edges, the last picture shows the panel rotated 90d and using the flip stop I now cut the perpendicular edge. This whole process has been referenced off of one edge that I ran through the jointer so now when I am done I have a perfectly square panel of my exact size.

OOPS I forgot to give you guys and gals a little secret. These Italian saws are extra accurate if you place a glass of Chianti on one end of the slider. If you so happen to be Italian, like me, then a glass at either end increases the accuracy four fold. :D and become more accurate as the day goes on too!

Frank Pellow
09-23-2005, 4:43 AM
Thanks for the demonstration Paul. Maybe someday I will get to see a saw like this in action, but until that day, your pictures have provided the next best thing.

I won't ever have one of these things, but I do enjoy reading about them.

Steve Rowe
09-23-2005, 8:59 AM
Thanks for the posts Paul and I am glad you are back. Your posts are from a users perspective and not hawking your own wares for profit and that makes a big difference to me. Don't let that other guy drive you away again.

Your pictures show an eccentric hold-down clamp. How do you like this? I just use a shop made holddown on my Felder slider when needed but it has its limitations and would like something better.

Steve

Dan Larson
09-23-2005, 9:28 AM
Hi Paul,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post these EFSTS demos. Since I'm an inexperienced woodworker who has recently purchased a Laguna TSS, I've learned a lot from reading your posts.

Quick question-- do find that the eccentric clamp on your saw has a tendency to push the wood ever so slightly (perhaps 1/32"?) away from the crosscut fence as you lock it down? I struggle with this issue regardless of how carefully I lock down the eccentric clamp on my saw. I was wondering if this was a general problem with this type of clamp, or just the one on TSS?

Thanks again Paul!
Dan

Michael Ballent
09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Very cool post Paul. Keep them coming :D

Since I recently bought the SawStop I do not believe that LOML will take the pill of getting one of the Euro Sliders any time soon; but, with the exception of the slider the SawStop is as close as one could get to a slider since it has the riving knife :D

Jeff Sudmeier
09-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Paul, thanks for the demonstration. That sure is a SWEET saw!!

Can you post another when you have time on how you use that saw to rip down stock? I have never been able to picture it with the blade so far way from the "front" of the saw.

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the posts Paul and I am glad you are back. Your posts are from a users perspective and not hawking your own wares for profit and that makes a big difference to me. Don't let that other guy drive you away again.

Your pictures show an eccentric hold-down clamp. How do you like this? I just use a shop made holddown on my Felder slider when needed but it has its limitations and would like something better.

Steve

Steve,
I do like the eccentric clamps and I have a bunch of them. They can and do put a tremendous amount of force down on your stock. The one thing with mine is they do not get that close to the blade as they are limited my the throat length. I also have to be careful not to "turn" the clamp to far towards the blade as it can hit the OH guard.

Roy Wall
09-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Paul,

How would you rate the DC on the saw?? below and the guard shroud?

How much does the saw cost?

Lastly, put your premiere beverages on cloth over the left side of you saw...you never use that side and the drinks will be handy!!!:)

Thanks for the posts.......

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi Paul,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post these EFSTS demos. Since I'm an inexperienced woodworker who has recently purchased a Laguna TSS, I've learned a lot from reading your posts.

Quick question-- do find that the eccentric clamp on your saw has a tendency to push the wood ever so slightly (perhaps 1/32"?) away from the crosscut fence as you lock it down? I struggle with this issue regardless of how carefully I lock down the eccentric clamp on my saw. I was wondering if this was a general problem with this type of clamp, or just the one on TSS?

Thanks again Paul!
Dan

Dan,
Yes the clamp can push the stock away from the fence if you do not set the clamp to the "correct" height. You will need to get the "hang of it" in setting the correct height of the clamp, on the post, before you engage the clamp. You need to have a little clearance between the clamp shoe and the stock, (with the clamp fully open) before your tighten down the screw setting the height of the clamp on the post. It is kind of a feel kind of thing. When set correctly it will not push away the stock, but I still hold it in place, and will allow you to remove the piece you just cut and slide the next one in without resetting it. This is assuming all your stock is the same thickness.

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Paul,

How would you rate the DC on the saw?? below and the guard shroud?

How much does the saw cost?

Lastly, put your premiere beverages on cloth over the left side of you saw...you never use that side and the drinks will be handy!!!:)

Thanks for the posts.......

Roy,
The DC in the main cabinet is very very well sealed, no build up inside. The shroud inside just about completely encloses the blade on the backside. The OH guard does provide a good avenue for collection but your DC needs to b up to the task, my is not. These machines are industrial, at least mine is, and requires DC accordingly. The manual says it needs 1200 CFM for both!! I am trying to upgrade but ...... $'s get in the way.

The saw was not cheap by any means. It was a business purchase for the long haul to put things into perspective. You kind see the price on the MM USA website.

I use that side of the saw for storage of cut parts, beer cooler ...you know the essentials. Besides wine glasses look much better on the slider anyway. I just have to remember not to slide so fast because I can not tell you how many glasses I have broken so far and all that wine!!

Dan Larson
09-23-2005, 1:43 PM
Dan,
Yes the clamp can push the stock away from the fence if you do not set the clamp to the "correct" height. You will need to get the "hang of it" in setting the correct height of the clamp, on the post, before you engage the clamp. You need to have a little clearance between the clamp shoe and the stock, (with the clamp fully open) before your tighten down the screw setting the height of the clamp on the post. It is kind of a feel kind of thing. When set correctly it will not push away the stock, but I still hold it in place, and will allow you to remove the piece you just cut and slide the next one in without resetting it. This is assuming all your stock is the same thickness.

Sounds like I'm torquing down on the stock way too much. I'll try a lighter touch next time. Thanks.

Dan

Ian Barley
09-23-2005, 2:22 PM
Sounds like I'm torquing down on the stock way too much. I'll try a lighter touch next time. Thanks.

Dan
I also thibk that is the secret - you only need enough pressure to hold the workpiece, after that extra force is more likely to do harm than good.

Jeff Wright
02-06-2007, 9:34 PM
Hi Paul,

Thanks again Paul!
Dan

I recall Sam Blasco inserts a small piece of old leather belt (a little larger than the round clamp surface) between the piece being cut and the underside of the clamp hold down.